New member from Ga - Ford F150 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

New member from Ga

Hi all, Looking to buy my first f150 soon and Im considering the diesel. There a lot of good deals on left over 18s around ATL and north Ga. One thing that worries me though is the fact that hardly any dealers in my area have the 2019 diesels in stock. Did they have such a hard time moving them that they learned their lesson? If so, how long will ford be putting these in the f150? Once the hybrid comes out, that will be the goto for economy and the 3.5eco for towing customers. Am I being too pessimistic? I drove a 3.0 yesterday and while it didn't lay my head back in the seat or anything, it didn't have any trouble moving down the road at 60 mph 1400 rpm in 10th. I want one but im scared....
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled | Tuning Tools In Hand/Ask Me I Can Help You!: HP Tuners/nGauge, EzLynk, Ford VCM II, OBDLink MX+
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant View Post
Hi all, Looking to buy my first f150 soon and Im considering the diesel. There a lot of good deals on left over 18s around ATL and north Ga. One thing that worries me though is the fact that hardly any dealers in my area have the 2019 diesels in stock. Did they have such a hard time moving them that they learned their lesson? If so, how long will ford be putting these in the f150? Once the hybrid comes out, that will be the goto for economy and the 3.5eco for towing customers. Am I being too pessimistic? I drove a 3.0 yesterday and while it didn't lay my head back in the seat or anything, it didn't have any trouble moving down the road at 60 mph 1400 rpm in 10th. I want one but im scared....
Hmm, the 3.5eco for towing customers...my previous was a 2010 5.4 that towed my 4,500 pound boat at ~12mpg, with my 2018 3.0 doing the same job at 18-25mpg depending on speed and wind conditions (after this summer of towing I should have better actual mpg to share on this). I have never had the 3.5eco, but from the research I did it wasn't towing any better mpg's than my 5.4, but there are probably forum members that have real world experience towing with both the 3.5eco and the 3.0 that can provide better direct comparison comments.

The 3.0 has a more oomph get up and go if you put it into Sport Mode, or as some are doing putting on a tuner or adding pedal commander. I am nearing retirement years, so I am just fine with the power provided from the 3.0. If I were 20-30 years younger I would probably be wanting it to provide more zoom-zoom, but we have a Mazda CX-5 that I can zip around town in if I am feeling the need for zoom-zoom.

As far as "I want one but im scared....", I have not generally been an early adopter of new things, especially higher priced items like this F150 3.0. I waited almost 9 years to refresh my 2010 5.4 to this 2018 3.0, and my reason for the wait was fuel economy and fuel economy while towing since we hope to do a lot more boat towing and fishing as we enter into our retirement years soon. (I have also historically bought a new truck about every 8 years, so the wait for the 3.0 just stretched out the timing about 6 months).

I should get past 10,000 miles on my 2018 3.0 in the next 3-4 days (5.5 months of ownership), and I couldn't be happier with putting aside my "scared" and taking the chance on this truck. I reasoned the risk was less since this engine has been running for many years now in the Land Rover/Range Rover, and Ford just made some tweaks to it for the F150. I average >20,000 miles/year, so the fuel economy of the 3.0 over the 3.5 or 5.0 made sense to me with my personal driving history.

There do seem to be some really good deals on 2018's remaining in dealer inventories. I think the 2019 is pretty much the same truck as the 2018 with a price increase and they took away the CD player. If you picked up a 2018, future value would be higher because we are almost half-way into 2019 so your odometer by KBB value would likely come in without a high mileage penalty.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your decision. Post a photo of your new 2018 3.0 after you get past your fears and pull the trigger!

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page