New Member from Pennsylvania - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Kurtis Johnson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

New Member from Pennsylvania

Hi Everybody,

As a longtime driver of diesel cars/trucks I took a timeout from diesel trucks when the new DPF and regen process was added and continued to drive the old ones. First stepped into the new emission systems with an E250 Mercedes Diesel that was and is a very positive experience. 2 Weeks ago bought a NEW F150 Diesel. Was out of town for a week so only drove it for a week with a total of 400 miles on it after driving off the lot it left me stranded in limp home mode the first time it started regen. So after the Tow (which was another long story thanks to Ford Roadside Assistance) it is sitting at the dealer waiting for the workweek to start.

Anyone out there have any similar experiences? It was a new leftover 2018 with a total of about 450 miles. From what I can tell it started a regen and faulted out, then came the CEL, then came limp home mode. Limp home mode does not help much 35 miles away from home so then came the tow.

Kurt
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

@Kurtis Johnson - welcome aboard and sorry that this was how you had to be introduced to the forums.

Here a summary of some things we have learned regarding Active DPF Regens:
  • Unless you have exposed the DPF Full% on your IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) via FORScan, there is no real good way to know when you near or in an Active DPF Regen (by design)
  • Based on your driving, Active DPF Regens can occur with as little as 50 miles up to a max of 300 miles
    • I have documented some of my DPF regen findings in this thread: Stuck in regen???
    • @kdjasper found there is an automatic Active-Regen @ 300 miles regardless of DPF Full %, so w/450 miles you have gone thru at least one Active Regen & probably more
  • Entering an Active Regen should not:
    • Throw CEL (Check Engine Light) codes
    • Put you into Limp Mode
  • You dealer should have completed FSA 18E02 before selling you your truck
I hope that your dealer did complete FSA 18E02, because your problems sound more like the owners in the START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) than normal ownership => Have your dealer print out a full OASIS report for your VIN and verify that FSA 18E02 has been performed as Step #1.

Good luck!

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 06-02-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Fixed mentions
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!! There is not much out there on these engines so all appreciated. I will pursue and let you know.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:43 PM

Hi @Kurtis Johnson I suggest you and other members here to keep an eye out for youtube channels that get information from the manufacture and break down them for the first time publically. Seen quite a few examples in the past of other vehicles!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Back on the road

Exhaust Pressure Sensor solved it
BluePill, jmperlik and hydrex like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Johnson View Post
Exhaust Pressure Sensor solved it
Thanks for the update and glad to hear it wasn't anything more than a Exhaust Pressure Sensor. Ford has done well over the years to minimize what can go wrong.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled | HP Tuners/nGauge, EzLynk, Ford VCM II, OBDLink MX+

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page