Been lurking for a while and here are my thoughts.. - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Been lurking for a while and here are my thoughts..

Well I've been lurking for about 6 months trying to figure out what truck I want. I've pretty much decided on a F-150 with the 3.0 Diesel. Now I'm stuck debating which model I want.

My dream truck would be a King Ranch but dang that model is pricey. Love the interior not so happy that Ford forces you to get the chrome package if you want the 601A package group, the 3.5 ecoboost does not have this requirement. I much prefer the base with the painted bumpers and the lack of the big hunk of chrome on the tail gate. Also prefer the rims that the 601A comes with as well. One of my local dealers has a fully loaded one that has been sitting on the lot for a while for a really good deal. But it is loaded with some of the extra stuff I don't want like the twin panel moon roof.

Another local dealer has an XLT with just the stuff you would want (4x2) for 37k but man I really do want the B&O sound sound system. Could add my own leather (katzkin). But once I add all the things I would like (LED head lights, power deploying running boards, etc.. ) then I get into the price range of a lariat.

And of course there are things I don't like about the lariat either. For instance I really don't like the leather trimmed seats. It's the trimmed part I don't like. I have had nothing but trouble with trimmed leather seats in the past so would much prefer full leather. Also one you option it out with the things you may want you end up in the King Ranch/Platinum base price range.

The Platinum is almost perfect it comes out of the box with most every thing I want. But of course there are issues. One I really prefer the King Ranch interior over the two options you get on the Platinum. And lets not forget that the only option available is to have all that darn Chrome.

I still have a little while before I have to make up my mind. I'm not buying until mid to late fall or maybe even winter (around here winter is not until December or January if even then).

Hmm Choices Choices... What to do.. Oh I know win the lotto and buy them all
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

@rdjack21 - first order of business is to welcome you aboard to the forums!

Decisions, decisions, decisions! My 2018 F150 PS Diesel is my 3rd Platinum F150, so you can already guess what my vote is... My 2018 F150 PS Diesel is Ingot silver, so whatever chrome there is blends right in. Bumpers are painted on Platinum trim, so besides the mirror skulls caps, door handles, tow hooks and exhaust pipe tip (the entire pipe is chromed = don't ask me how I know), how much chrome is really on a Platinum?

I have been amazed with the mark-downs on any left-over 2018 models, so your best value is to pick up a higher trim level 2018 leftover for a LOT less than the equivalent 2019 model, but just make sure that the infamous FSA 18E02 EGR By-Pass valve replacement is performed before taking delivery.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forums!

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards & Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:00 AM

Only problems I have with the platinum trim is the lane keeping feature and the parallel parking buttons are on the center console and my dog keeps pushing them on.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
- first order of business is to welcome you aboard to the forums!

Decisions, decisions, decisions! My 2018 F150 PS Diesel is my 3rd Platinum F150, so you can already guess what my vote is... My 2018 F150 PS Diesel is Ingot silver, so whatever chrome there is blends right in. Bumpers are painted on Platinum trim, so besides the mirror skulls caps, door handles, tow hooks and exhaust pipe tip (the entire pipe is chromed = don't ask me how I know), how much chrome is really on a Platinum?

I have been amazed with the mark-downs on any left-over 2018 models, so your best value is to pick up a higher trim level 2018 leftover for a LOT less than the equivalent 2019 model, but just make sure that the infamous (can't quote the link) is performed before taking delivery.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forums!

Yea the KR that is sitting on one of the local lots is a 2019 built in 12/18 with a sticker of 72k but priced at 58k two tone Blue Jean 4x4. Another local dealer has Black Platinum 4x2 on the lot that is pretty much right up my ally but it's black with black interior in the Texas heat that will be one hot truck in the summer. It has 11k in discounts applied to it as well and it is not optioned up so it is actually cheaper than the KR. Also found a white Lariat 4x2 with 10k in discounts.

My problem is I just love the interior of the KR. And really I would be happy with the base KR but I want BLIS and ford makes you get the 601A package to get it which drives the price up and adds a bunch of stuff I don't want or need like all of the darn chrome.

When I get closer to the time of purchase I'm going to start hitting the dealers up and see if they can help get what I want.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Man what a pain in the rear. In my above comment with the quote the site refused to let me post it because the quote included a link. What a PITA. I guess I have now added another post to my count with this little rant...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

@rdjack21 - I hate the Black-on-Black interior, but the dealers seems to feel safe ordering those initially. I factory-ordered my 2015 F150 Platinum and my 2018 F150 PS Diesel Platinum with the Brown-on-Black two-tone leather interior, which I find really sharp and the brown breaks up all of the solid black. In fact a buddy of mine from the local brewery who just leased a fully-loaded Yukon Denali was asking me about my Brown-on-Black interior last night, as he liked it better than what he just got in his Denali.

The brown in my 2018 is Marsala Brown, which is a somewhat deeper brown that the reddish brown in the KR. Take a look at the first picture in @minhajmsd 's New member from NY post and you will see that it is similar to the KR (just without the heavy stitching) You should try to see if any dealer in your area has a 2018 Platinum w/Marsala Brown 2-tone interior available with some mark-downs = that would be your ticket if it is just the interior you are hung up on...

I think you need 10 posts before you can PM anyone or post links, so just keep asking questions here and we will get you there...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards & Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
...I would be happy with the base KR but I want BLIS and ford makes you get the 601A package to get it...
We have a 2015 Mazda CX-5, and the BLIS in that blows away the BLIS in the 2018 KR in my opinion.

In my 2018 KR, all I get is an amber circle light in the mirror when there is danger to either flank. I have the trailer tow mirrors on my truck, and have the two mirrors on each side angled appropriately so that I have no blind spot to be monitoring anyway.

In our 2015 CX-5, not only does an amber warning come up in the side mirror, an audible alert comes on when there is danger on the flank. This saved my bacon many times, so I really wanted this feature when moving up from my 2010 KR to the 2018 KR, but the way Ford has implemented it is disappointing to the point that if you have trailer tow mirrors the BLIS is not of any value (at least to me).

If I am missing how to make the BLIS in our trucks have an audible alert, please do advise me on how to turn that on!

So, reason for my response on this is that don't get so hung up on wanting BLIS if you can get the trailer tow mirrors as if angled properly and you look at rear view mirror and side mirrors BLIS is not needed.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
I hate the Black-on-Black interior, but the dealers seems to feel safe ordering those initially. I factory-ordered my 2015 F150 Platinum and my 2018 F150 PS Diesel Platinum with the Brown-on-Black two-tone leather interior, which I find really sharp and the brown breaks up all of the solid black.

Do have to admit that interior is better than the Black-on-Black. But where I live we will have a month to two months of 100+ days in the summer the rest are in the high 90s. So I'm more interested in lighter colors if at all possible. Now a White Platinum with that interior would look good. I'm beginning to believe I'm going to have to factory order a truck to get what I want but then the discounts are considerably lower if you do that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjasper View Post
In my 2018 KR, all I get is an amber circle light in the mirror when there is danger to either flank. I have the trailer tow mirrors on my truck, and have the two mirrors on each side angled appropriately so that I have no blind spot to be monitoring anyway.

<snip>

So, reason for my response on this is that don't get so hung up on wanting BLIS if you can get the trailer tow mirrors as if angled properly and you look at rear view mirror and side mirrors BLIS is not needed.
I hear you on adjusting your mirrors correctly. I have mine adjusted on my current vehicle such that I don't have a blind spot and much prefer it that way.

One of the problems with what the dealers order and have on the lots is that none of them have the tow mirrors they all have the smaller mirrors.

As I stated above I'm beginning to debate the value of getting a large discount with compromises verses getting what I want. I'm starting to think I may be happier in the long run paying a little more to get what I want.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
I hear you on adjusting your mirrors correctly. I have mine adjusted on my current vehicle such that I don't have a blind spot and much prefer it that way.

One of the problems with what the dealers order and have on the lots is that none of them have the tow mirrors they all have the smaller mirrors.

As I stated above I'm beginning to debate the value of getting a large discount with compromises verses getting what I want. I'm starting to think I may be happier in the long run paying a little more to get what I want.
Another option would be to find what you want on the lot, and then work it into your deal to have the dealer swap out the regular mirrors for the trailer tow mirrors as part of your purchase paperwork. The swap out can be done, it is pretty costly to have it done after the sale, but I would think you could negotiate it into the sale paperwork at a lower cost if they want to move the truck off the lot, that way you get your $11K+ discount off MSRP minus whatever ~$2K that they want to swap out the mirrors for you. Taking this approach should save you thousands over a custom order and also get you on the road in the new rig faster. I would try to have them complete the mirror swap before I drove it home, but I also would be willing to accept an I-O-U for the swap out once they received the mirrors in.

Take a look at this thread also --> https://www.dieself150forum.com/foru...-find-set.html where @wreedsvt has posted a link to some pricing on these mirrors. You could use that pricing as leverage with the dealer in the negotiation for swapping out the mirrors as part of the sale transaction on the truck.

When I was in my test driving phase, I absolutely came to hate the regular mirrors as they were much smaller viewing area than I had on my 2010 KR regular mirrors. Once I did a test drive in a truck with the trailer tow mirrors I knew right then that I had to have those mirrors on my new truck. And, the Ford F150 trailer tow mirrors look nice to me, unlike trailer tow mirrors on the Ram trucks that look like big moose antlers on the side of those trucks (as far as I know those don't power fold or power extend either).

I power fold in my trailer tow mirrors every time I park my truck. I think there may be a FORScan mod for that, but I just do it manually as it is just a couple button pushes.

I tow a Ranger boat behind my truck in the summer, but even if I was a guy that never towed anything I would still want the trailer tow mirrors for the increased viewing area they provide over the regular mirrors.
rdjack21 likes this.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1

Last edited by kdjasper; 08-11-2019 at 03:51 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page