Powerstroke Warranty - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Powerstroke Warranty

From Ford literature looks like for 2018 the F150 Powerstroke warranty is 5 Yr 100k, and 8 Yr 80k for emissions equipment (CA differs slightly).

This is good news!
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Has anyone been picking up Extended Warranty coverage on their new trucks, and if so at what terms (i.e. years+mileage) and cost?

Thanks
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:50 PM

I am very interested in this topic also. I have been shopping for a 3.0 babystroke for a while now and keep hearing rumors of 5 or 6 year/100,000 mile warranty on the power train.

All of the window stickers I have looked at just state the regular warranties (3yr/36,000 bumper to bumper, 5yr/60,000 powertrain, and 5yr/60,000 roadside assist).

Can anyone that has closed a deal on one of these sweet rides confirm whether or not the 3.0 powerstroke has a longer warranty like big bro 6.7?

It would be a good selling point for me if it did considering 2018 is the first year for the 3.0 in the F-150 and it is still yet to be proven over a long period. I know it has been running in overseas vehicles for quite a while but I heard that Ford made some tweaks before dropping it in the F-150.

Pretty much I am trying to have y’all talk me into this sweet King Ranch I drove the other night...lol. Any and all input is appreciated! 👍

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:21 PM

I will be a ESP customer.....Cost of repairs has me thinking that it will be a "peace of mind" purchase.

From what I understand this can be purchased from ANY Ford dealer , and there are several discounting the MSRP- Google Ford ESP. I do not plan of having the full court press put on me at the time of purchase. I will be bringing a hard copy of what I can buy the ESP for at a discount and let the local dealer have a run .....No real HURRY does not have to be purchased when the truck is sold new.

Good Luck
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Just a follow-up to the Ford ESP discussion earlier in this thread...

I am coming up on my first oil change at 5000 miles and wanted to make a decision on ESP. I was talking with a friend who has a "deluxe" maintenance plan w/oil changes built into the lease of his Honda minivan (remarkably the Honda dealer is the owner who bought out my Ford dealer in 2015) and thought this might be something to consider with this new PS 3.0L Diesel engine.

@kdjasper mentioned this FloodESP website which claims to sell certified Ford ESPs that are valid at any North American Ford dealer at prices significantly cheaper than what your dealer will quote you during the F&I process
  • They have pricing quote charts available if you plug in your vehicle info
  • They also have the Ford Protect ESP brochures available online
  • Unsure how/why Ford Corporate allows this (but I am not complaining now as it allows you to see what the mark-up is)

From the FloodESP website, I also noticed Ford offers an additional maintenance contract top of the Ford ESP that covers all fluids & filters as per maintenance schedule:
  • Oil and filters (5000/7500/10000 mile interval as options)
  • DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid every 5,000 miles)
  • Fuel filters (every 30,000 miles)
  • Air filters (every 30,000 miles)
  • Cabin filter (every 20,000 miles)
  • Coolant flush/fill (100,000 miles)
  • Windshield Washer Fluid

I have a pretty good relationship with my dealership/Service Manager and told him what I wanted:
  • Ford Protect only plans, specifically:
    - Ford Protect PremiumCare ESP
    - Ford Protect Premium Maintenance Plan ESP
    = not any 3rd party extended warrantees their dealership normally pushes as part of F&I process
  • 8-year/100K option for both plans (don't expect to put more than 10K miles per year)
    - $0 deductible for Ford Protect PremiumCare ESP
    - Ford Motorcraft F150 Full Synthetic 5W-30 (XO5W30QFA) oil changes at 5000 mile intervals for the Ford Protect Premium Maintenance Plan ESP
  • Willing to pay a fair price but not pay for any built-in dealer mark-up on the price for these plans
    - Use the FloodESP website to compare/challenge any quotes you receive (as @kdjasper explains above)
    - Would prefer to deal with my local dealer than FloodESP
    = Giving my local dealer an opportunity to win my business

I left the dealership and got a call back within 30 minutes with price quotes for what I wanted and what would not be covered.
  • What exactly is covered is in the Premium Maintenance Plan link above = Pretty much everything
  • What's not covered?
    + Tires
    + Brake rotors
    + Battery

While I won't go into exact pricing details here (as there are lots of combinations based on months/miles/intervals/deductibles), I will tell you what I learned:
  1. For the Ford Protect PremiumCare ESP, my dealer got pretty close to the Ford PremiumCare quote from the FloodESP website
  2. For the Ford Protect Premium Maintenance Plan ESP, my dealer didn't get close but this is probably due to my Full Synthetic Oil requirement
  3. I was able to take advantage of the 0% financing offer for ESP contracts after purchase that @kdjasper mentioned here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjasper View Post
Here is something I just noticed from the PremiumCARE ESP online brochure: "0% APR interest-free Installment Payment Plan with flexible payment options is available when the extended service plan is not included in the vehicle financing", so though to make everyone aware of this.
BUT there is a significant fee that the dealer incurs from the company (Budco Financial) underwriting the Installment plan (Don't ask me how I know this!)

I realize that these options may not be financially viable for everyone, but my situation allowed me to splurge on this luxury = let the flaming begin!

Lessons to be learned:
  1. There is mark-up built into the pricing of both plans that your dealer may or may not be willing to negotiate
  2. You won't know until you ask for a quote and counter with the pricing from the FloodESP website to find out

Anyone who has questions on either of these plans or what I did when purchasing mine, please Private Message me via this forum to discuss.

Thanks to @kdjasper for this insight, as it did save me a significant amount, so much so that I may have never pulled the trigger on either of these ESPs.

Disclosure: I do not work for Ford nor do I get any form of compensation for promoting either of these plans

Last edited by jmperlik; 01-30-2019 at 01:38 AM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:39 AM

with the powertrain only being 5 year or 60 thousand miles Ibought the Ford FloodESP plan, have it for 10 years or 100 thousand miles which ever come first.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:04 PM

I bought the 10 yr 100K warranty as well.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

@jamanrr & @jcav55 ... You guys must put lower mileage on your trucks to do 10yr/100K mile extended warranties. I will have 100K miles in under 5 years in my truck, as I have been averaging ~22K miles per year now for some time (and I have < 10 mile drive to work). I did do a 6yr/100K mile extended warranty on my 2010 F150, and had enough claims to recover the cost of the warranty, but my warranty ran out by mileage and not years, so if I bought an extended warranty on this 2018 I would be looking for the highest mileage option with year terms lining up with ~22K/yr. Something like 7-8yr/150K mile would be more fitting to my usage. That is the thing, everyones needs are different, so each of us needs to look at our average miles per year and make the best decision based on our own usage.

What I am not sure about yet is if I am going to end up doing a DPF+EGR delete on the truck in the future, and if I don't do that before 36,000 miles then I may purchase an extended warranty.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 PM

I wanted to keep the truck stock but yeah I probably will have a hundred thousand miles in 5 years but 60,000 miles is not long enough for the powertrain to end. If anything happens after 60 thousand miles then it is on them.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

There seems to be some confusion on the engine warranty on our vehicles...

I will repeat what I stated previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
My Service Manager confirmed the 100K Engine Warranty on the PS 3.0L Diesel -- he said all Ford PowerStroke engines are warrantied to 100K miles.
I dug thru the 2018 Ford Light Duty Truck Warranty PDF and found this chart that clearly states a 5yr/100K warranty on the PowerStroke Diesel engine.

If you have any questions, I would ask your dealer directly to verify your warranty before spending additional $$$ on an ESP you may not need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018FordF150Warranty.jpg (64.5 KB, 13 views)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page