Mileage Report - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Mileage Report

So...I have just over 250 miles on my Lariat 4x4 and thought I would give a mileage run down for those interested.
First 50 miles was pathetic, didn't hit 20 mpg, I was a bit concerned. Don't judge it by that first trip.
After fifty miles was like some kind of break through, I started seeing the gauge regularity over 30 mpg and the average steadily picking up.
By 150 miles I was averaging 22.1. I reset my trip gauge.
Next 100 miles put me at 26.2 average, it seems to keep climbing.
Mind you I drive conservatively. I typically have it in sport mode as I like to get to speed at a decent rate, but don't mash on it. After I am at speed I typically hang there.
I also live in the country and do limited inner city driving, but the 250 is about a 35/65 city/hwy mix.
First 10 miles can be a bit low, but it seems to warm up and really improve after that, looking forward to putting a few long trips on it, really I have only done about 35 mi max.
Super quiet in the cabin and out considering it's a diesel. Ride is nice and there is plenty of pickup if you want it.
Now I need to get my boat behind it and see how she does. Was trying to break in some easy miles on it first.
post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to say that is also a super crew with a 5.5 box...only mods are soft tonneau and 5 in wheel to wheel running boards.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 AM

Mileage updates

Thanks for the update Johnny Blues...my truck is set to go to production July 31st and was debating on a F-250 leftover diesel at this point vs the F150 new diesel based on if pricing was going to come in similar since they are not offering rebates on the diesel version of F150...my buddy has a newer f-250 that gets awesome fuel mileage pulling a thirty some foot goose neck trailer....will be nice to hear you report your boat towing mileage ratings....

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:17 PM

See the attached chart, the web site crunched all the numbers
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:11 PM

Lower than expected mileage

I purchased an '18 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 with the 3.0 powerstroke just before christmas and have not achieved the expected mpg or numbers similar to what you guys are reporting.
So far I have about 1200 miles on the truck with an average of 20.9mpg. I'd say 80% of my commute is highway not during rush hour and I travel 75-80mph. Daily commute is 20miles each way.

My average has plateaued at 20.9 despite resetting the trip computer. I use cruise control when I can and don't live in a hilly area. I have had a soft tonneau cover on the bed for the past 500miles. No other mods to the truck.

Any thoughts?
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM

I am averaging about 22 mixed city and 75-80 highway. Winter diesel has been a killer. Was over 25 this summer. That could be a problem unless you are in the south.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fharrison View Post
I am averaging about 22 mixed city and 75-80 highway. Winter diesel has been a killer. Was over 25 this summer. That could be a problem unless you are in the south.
Yeah I'm in New Jersey.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 PM
djman

Here's my mileage from the app I keep everything in, also shows how much def I've added (each def purchase is 2.5 gallons).
Attached Images
File Type: png mileage report.png (115.4 KB, 51 views)

post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djman View Post
Here's my mileage from the app I keep everything in, also shows how much def I've added (each def purchase is 2.5 gallons).
What kind of driving do you do that only get 10MPG?

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 AM
djman

I pull trailers every weekend. The 8mpg and 10mpg runs were pulling my center console boat into a 30mph headwind at 75mph for 260 miles. Notice that the def consumption is pretty high, apparently it is affected by the stress put on the engine too. I've put in 12.5 gallons of def in just under 8000 miles (not counting the full tank of just over 5 gallons from the factory).
The good news is that the new engine was able to hold the speed (flat land, no hills). I stepped down from a F350 dually with 3.73 gears and the 6.7l Powerstroke and was very concerned about being able to pull the boat at the speed I'm accustomed to.
I used to have a hot shot business and had 11 trailers, 3 big goosenecks that I would haul steel out of Houston on with gross weights of over 40,000lbs. That 6.7 is an amazing engine but I really didn't need it anymore but like the pulling characteristics of diesels. The 3.0 came out just as I was considering downsizing but didn't want a gasser.
So far the engine is doing everything I need it to, its not a 6.7 but for what I'm doing it is 95% just right. I drive in Austin and San Antonio quite a bit so the adaptive cruise control and stop and go are the greatest things ever. Takes a lot of stress out of the drive knowing that if I happen to look away from the road for a few seconds that the truck is watching the road for me and if you drive on I35 you know how much the speeds vary so that adaptive cruise control is amazing.
Dunrollin likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page