Tire Thoughts - Ford F150 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Question Tire Thoughts

So I will be letting the dealer keep the factory tires and putting on Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac tires when I receive my f-150 diesel...love the beefier tread performance and life of these tires...my current truck already has 70,000 miles on the set of tires and still going...the only draw back it seems is I lost about 2-3 miles per gallon on my 2012 Platinum F150 3.5 liter ecoboost when I had them originally installed....anyone had any experience with diesels in dropping mileage due to tire choice????
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:23 PM

The main reason why you'd see a change in fuel economy is due to tire weight. I'm not sure what exactly the OEM set is rated at, but it sounds like you may have picked up some extra pounds with the thicker tires. Could always look into lightweight rims to try and balance that out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:36 PM

I like Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my Chevy. I will be putting them on my future ford. I picked one size larger than OEM (wider) for a slightly aggressive look. I stay with a P rated size for better ride quality and similar weight to the stock tire (thus a negligible affect on fuel economy).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Mileage Loss

Thanks for the thoughts....although my initial question was more along the lines of if the diesel engine is less susceptible vs gas to mileage loss due to tire choice with the factory rim...the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's also have reviews where folks feel like they dropped about 2-3 miles per gallon by running those tires as well....I am assuming both tires would be a great choice for the F150 diesel if you are looking for a beefier tire....not sure if it really is a weight issue vs additional friction (pavement/air) possibly....but just guessing at this point...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page