F-150 3.0 Rolls Forward in Park - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wreedsvt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

F-150 3.0 Rolls Forward in Park

I have now had at least 2 occasions where my truck was parked on a slanted driveway and rolled forward about 6-8 feet while in park. The first time, I attributed it to the icy driveway, but the second time, the same driveway was dry. This is not a steep incline. I live in Indiana farm country and we’re not exactly known for our mountains. I’ve started engaging the parking brake now in areas that I never would have with any other vehicle. I’m concerned about my brand new truck with 3k miles just rolling out into the street. Anyone else experienced this? I’ve done an internet search and do not see any reports with the 2018 F-150 models, be it diesel or gasser. My truck goes in Monday for EGR recall fix and you can be certain they’re going to hear about the rolling forward in park issue.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Ford had a recall last year for 2018 F150 models: Ford recalls 350,000 Trucks/SUVs for transmission issues

Dealers will inspect the vehicles to ensure that the shift cable locking clip was properly installed and will secure the locking clip at no charge to the customer if it was not. The recall reference number is FSA 18S10.

The affected vehicles are:
  • 2018 Ford F-150 trucks built at Dearborn Assembly Plant between Jan. 5, 2017, and Feb. 16, 2018
  • 2018 Ford F-150s built at Kansas City Assembly Plant between Jan. 25, 2017, and Feb. 16, 2018
  • 2018 Ford Expedition SUVs built at the Kentucky Truck Plant from April 3, 2017, to Jan. 30, 2018
  • 2018 Ford F-650 and F-750 medium-duty commercial trucks built at Ohio Assembly Plant between April 25, 2017, and March 9, 2018
Didn't think they started making any F150 Diesels until well after these dates, but maybe one slipped through?

I would have your Service department following the procedure documented in FSA 18S10.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 02-16-2019 at 08:06 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:33 AM

you always generally have to apply the parking brake or it will roll forward if it is on an incline, just the way they are.

My 2011 Raptor did it, my dads 08 XLT does it, and my 2018 will do it as well. I think it is just the way they are.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

I was just helping my woman's sister move stuff to storage today, backed up and parked on a very steep short driveway. I had no rolling forward after park issues, not even an inch, and this was on a snow packed icy driveway that I needed to be in 4A to back up. One time I had intentionally turned my front tires all the way to the left, but I think the other two times I didn't even bother with that. Also, I did not apply the parking brake.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I have now had at least 2 occasions where my truck was parked on a slanted driveway and rolled forward about 6-8 feet while in park. The first time, I attributed it to the icy driveway, but the second time, the same driveway was dry. This is not a steep incline. I live in Indiana farm country and weíre not exactly known for our mountains. Iíve started engaging the parking brake now in areas that I never would have with any other vehicle. Iím concerned about my brand new truck with 3k miles just rolling out into the street. Anyone else experienced this? Iíve done an internet search and do not see any reports with the 2018 F-150 models, be it diesel or gasser. My truck goes in Monday for EGR recall fix and you can be certain theyíre going to hear about the rolling forward in park issue.
Sounds like the park powl isnt engaging. I would take it to the dealer.
mxt sniper likes this.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

@Stingray - how did your EGR by-pass valve replacement recall go and did your dealer find any problems with your parking pawl?

I would like to know if the latter is a new issue I need to worry about...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

The EGR by-pass recall work seemed to go smoothly. I dropped it off at 8am Monday and it was ready by 10:30am the next day, but they were also addressing 3 issues:

1) EGR recall. I have about 3,400 miles on the truck. I asked them if they either of the screws had sheered off and fallen into the assembly and the response I got from the service rep was "No, if they would have discovered something like that, it would have been documented." Probably a typical BS answer, but with the minimal miles on my truck, I'd like to believe it. I also thoroughly inspected the engine bay after other reports of malpractice by other members. Everything is in place as it should be and the interior of the truck was just as is was when I dropped it off. So no complaints there. They seemed to do a thorough and job.

2) Truck rolls forward i park - It sounds like the techs spent considerable time trying to recreate the issue that I was having. He said that they parked it on an inclined area on their lot and finally got it to move forward in park ONLY when the rear wheels were on a wet or slick spot. He said that they got it to move forward a couple feet a few times. He said that they inspected all the cables, clips, etc. and everything was in it's proper place. He stated that, indeed, this is a newer set up and does not fall under the old recall for trucks rolling forward. He said that after observing the truck, it appeared that one rear wheel would slip on the wet or icy spot and, thus, the other rear wheel would actually roll/turn since it wasn't posi-locked. He said that since everything checks out to be correct on the truck, that I should start engaging the e-brake or posi-locking my rear end when parking it if there is ever a concern that it may roll. They also stated that having some weight in the bed may fix the problem. The conclusion by the service rep was basically "It is what it is." I obviously am not thrilled with that answer, but am at least relieved to know that apparently nothing is wrong with my new truck. I've been driving for over 30 years and have never had to think twice about parking any vehicle and putting it in more than park (I've only ever had to use the e-brake when traveling to mountainous states). To think that I now need to be aware of my parking surface/situation and have to make a decision about and hassle with engaging and disengaging the e-brake is frustrating to say the least on a vehicle of this caliber and price. It just baffles my mind that this is even an issue.

3) The final issue was that my tailgate would not drop when I hit the auto release on the key fob after they sprayed on the bed-liner. They figured out where the bed-liner coating was rubbing in 4 places and the tailgate was catching. This should have been discovered and addressed when I originally had the bed-liner sprayed on. I could have figured out what was causing the tailgate to stick and fixed it, but it was a matter of principle that the job was not completed correctly, plus they need to be aware that their 3rd party spray-in bed-liner company needs better quality control.

Overall, I can say am pretty pleased with that service stop, except for the explanation of why it rolls forward while in park. I went ahead and picked up two 2.5 gallon jugs of the correct Motorcraft DEF while at the dealership. Each jug was $13.99 which I thought was reasonable by dealership standards.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

@Stingray - thanks for the thorough and detailed response, as I along with other forum members do appreciate the feedback.

Not so sure I am happy with their "It is what it is" response to your #2, so I will need to remember this when parking on inclines. Luckily both my driveway at home and the parking lot at work are flat, but I will keep an eye on this and let you know if I ever experience anything like this.

Thanks again...

Last edited by jmperlik; 02-24-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page