Winter Handling - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rhawkins52!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Winter Handling

Today was my first drive in what I would call really bad conditions. We had a severe winter storm go through a day ago. They plowed and salt/sanded, but it got very cold and the road surface became extremely slippery. Enter 440 lb-ft of near instant torque. This truck breaks traction easily. Even in 4wd it will spin. Winter mode is the answer. The truck modulates the throttle better than I can. And also, be careful locking the rear end on snow and ice. It is helpful in a split mu situation (one tire on ice or snow and the other on a better traction surface)
But when both tires are on a slippery surface and you lock up, both wheels will spin and you will likely go sideways- fast. In mud or dirt locking up is a good option, just be aware the truck will want to go straight. Anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted to laud the programming for winter mode.
Like my truck more each time I drive it

Bob
kdjasper, Dunrollin and Old Ray like this.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 PM

Hi, newbie here to the diesel but not to pickups and certainly not to life. Thanks for posting the winter info / tip. I was to get my truck Monday, hour and half away, nice clear day, EGR recall had to be done, now I get my truck on Thursday, forcasting snow. I hate to admit this but I had a 2018 gas before and I don't rember the selectable drving mode, just maybe tow / haul button! But, way to many trucks and to many years. So I downloaded the owners manual tonight and see that the mode switch is at the bottom of the shifter, do the upper buttons just to shift the trans up and down gears when in m ? Thanks.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Yes the Diesel has lots of Driving Modes. Here is a xerpt from the manual.
I typically use Normal, sometimes Sport.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (95.4 KB, 13 views)

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
Hi, newbie here to the diesel but not to pickups and certainly not to life. Thanks for posting the winter info / tip. I was to get my truck Monday, hour and half away, nice clear day, EGR recall had to be done, now I get my truck on Thursday, forcasting snow. I hate to admit this but I had a 2018 gas before and I don't rember the selectable drving mode, just maybe tow / haul button! But, way to many trucks and to many years. So I downloaded the owners manual tonight and see that the mode switch is at the bottom of the shifter, do the upper buttons just to shift the trans up and down gears when in m ? Thanks.
Yes the up and down buttons on the shifter are used to shift the transmission when in MANUAL mode.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page