Runaway cruise control - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Runaway cruise control

I experienced an unusuall occurrence today while using cruise control. I entered an area where the speed limit increased from 45 to 55mph. Instead of jogging the CC set button 10 times, I held the button down until I was at 55 and released it. The truck did not settle in at set speed, the truck kept accelerating until I touched the brake at 85mph. I thought it was something I did at first, so I slowed to 45 and repeated. Sure enough, it took off again and would not stop accelerating even when I pressed the -/set button. Anyone else experienced this?
Bob
Old 03-14-2019, 03:36 PM

That is quite the odd situation but sounds like it was a good thing you were paying attention. First guess would be either a failing vehicle speed sensor or maybe the resume/accelerate button is sticky? Havent seen this mentioned before on here.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Just tried to hold the button, mine kept counting up MPH, and when I let go, it leveled off at that speed like it should. It did NOT continue to accelerate.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled

Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM

Gonna try mine on the way home from work!

2018 Lariat 3.0 Babystroke-Bilstein 5100s @2.1" Fuel Tactic 20x9 +1. 295/55r20 Toyo RT's.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:18 PM

Mine works just fine. let off the button, stops accelerating. your button is either sticking(spilled coffee or soda maybe) or its broken.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yep I would start by showing Ford dealer and have them replace the button(switch) on the steering wheel before going too far.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
Old 03-14-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Off to the dealer as much as I don't want to
Old 03-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe try to push switch real hard both ways, see if you can get it to unstick. Might not even be that, but worth a shot.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

I just tested my truck on the way home from work today, and discovered mine has the runaway cruise control feature also.

It comes down to this as well, not all our trucks have the same cruise control system. I would expect Lariats to not have the adaptive cruise control that King Ranch and Platinum trim levels have. The 2018 F150 Owners Manual actually has sections for each--see the 2 different images attached below.

So, it could be that these 2 different systems behave differently with each having different button lay out; however, @wreedsvt has a King Ranch as do I and he is not having this issue and I am.

Regular cruise control makes this statement in the Owners Manual:
"Press and hold SET+ or SET-. Release the control when you reach the desired speed."

Adaptive cruise control makes this statement in the Owners Manual:
"Press and hold RES+ or SET- to change the set speed in large increments. Release the control when you reach the desired speed."

@Rhawkins52! ... Bob, what trim level is in your truck?

Is there anyone without the adaptive cruise control, and are you also experiencing this issue?

This also has me curious how the truck will behave if I have cruise control set and press and hold down "SET -"...when I release the button will the truck go into runaway deceleration down to 0 mph? Interesting...will have to test this out later tonight and report back on that.

This seems like the next FSA that will be published, and I would guess the next time all our trucks are in the shop they will road test for this and apply whatever fix is needed. I guess @Rhawkins52! and I will be the first to report and get this turned into the next FSA for safety recall reasons.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2018 F150 Owners Manual Image_Cruise Control.jpeg (43.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg 2018 F150 Owners Manual Image_Adaptive Cruise Control.jpeg (37.7 KB, 6 views)

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1

Last edited by kdjasper; 03-15-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 PM

2019 build date Dec 2018 Lariat trim- NO adaptive cruise control- no issue