concerns about long-term ownership - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

concerns about long-term ownership

Hello,

I am very interested in owning a 3.0l F-150 but am very fearful of having a unique powerplant, especially one that is manufactured in a shared facility (land rover diesels). I have read that JLR is dropping orders for V6 diesels from the Dagenham plant, perhaps building them in another facility/their own, whatever. Does anyone else have concerns about finding parts support 15 years on if this engine is only produced for as long as the Ecodiesel, for example? What is more likely, a Gen 2 3.0 in a couple years or it beind discontinued? I apologize in advance for being a downer....
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:54 AM

Yes, it is an unique engine with all the associated problems.
But, what are the real chances of you keeping the truck for 15 years? If you do and they run out of parts then send it to Cuba and they will put a tractor engine in it.
Ford would supply engine parts of at least the length of the engine warranty, most likely as long as you are going to keep it.
A lot of things in life, mostly unexpected, can happen in 15 years, but if this is causing you concern, for peace of mind, you might want to look at other models that appear better.
This would give you more time to worry about world peace and other important things. l
CaptBWB likes this.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 black two tone
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Ford generally supplies parts for engines for at least 15 years, beyond that if people are still driving them, aftermarket will supply. I know that only 5% of these trucks have this engine, but that still 45,000 or so trucks per year sold so there's still a fairly large market. Once the engine proves reliable, which I think it will, sales will likely pick up; especially with fleets given the excellent fuel economy. Parts of this engine have also been produced for over a decade so it's not new, and things like the turbos, bosch injection systems, etc are third party produced and used in other applications, so they should still be available regardless of what ford does with this engine. For me it's nice to have a unique engine, keeps things interesting. With GM and Dodge putting diesels back in their trucks, I doubt ford will drop it. This is a solid platform, so they can likely build up the HP and Torques from here to compete with the new GM 3.0 in a couple years... i.e. Gen 2.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:49 PM

No concerns whatsoever. #1 truck builder in the USA. Buy one you will never look back. Over the last 43 years of have owned 12 F150ís my 2011 ecboost blew up with 45 thousand miles on it. Ford put a new engine in it for no cost. Didnít stop me from buying a 2015 but did go with the 5.0. The 3.0 is impressive there is always miner issues with a new engine.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

I'd love to believe that I would never have to look back, but it seems that there are a lot of very unhappy people with their transmission or engine, (even for first year products, the 10R80, the 5.0 have gotten a lot of negative attention). I am actually inclined to have faith in the 3.0 more than the 5.0 as it has not (to my knowledge) adopted any new construction techniques (spray in cylinder liners, for example) and I would like to believe that being the engine existed in a luxury auto there would be less chance of shortcuts being taken (outsourcing casting/milling, etc.) I live in Alaska and there are very few Ford dealers/repair shops and my experience with the local dealer has been appalling. Dealing with repeated repairs or specialty work is likely to be very frustrating. Glad to hear some optimism!

As for owning a unique engine, it might be fun. I loved my 82 Mercedes 300TD wagon and want to drive an oil burner again without going to a 3/4 ton. If I like a 3.0 F150 I will very likely have it for 15 years; my wife and I have driven each of our last four cars for more than 10 years.

Thanks for the viewpoints!
mxt sniper likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:33 PM

I'd expect in 15 years, there will be plenty of used junkyard 3L's around. People are still going to have wrecks. I figure if you are so worried about a motor failing, should probably drive a Toyota. I actually had a new Tacoma with a bad motor, so scratch that.... I drive a Ram Ecodiesel, it's been great, but if it gives me grief, I'll drive something else. Probably a F150!

2017 Ram Ecodiesel, 2008 Arctic Cat turbo diesel
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:49 AM

Well, federal law requires manufacturers to supply spare parts for 10 years after the last year they manufactured a specific vehicle.
When will Ford stop producing this engine? Who knows, but from that point on, you still have at LEAST 10 years
hydrex likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshew View Post
I am actually inclined to have faith in the 3.0 more than the 5.0 as it has not (to my knowledge) adopted any new construction techniques (spray in cylinder liners, for example) and I would like to believe that being the engine existed in a luxury auto there would be less chance of shortcuts being taken (outsourcing casting/milling, etc.)
And you gotta remember, a lot of 5L guys are running aftermarket tunes(made by anybody and everybody) that are written by people who are only concerned with producing the most power- because that's what sells- and installing things like superchargers that are straining these motors beyond their limits.
And when they pop, the first thing these people do is write about it on the internet-and blame Ford, which makes it seem like there's more problems with 'em than there actually are, and it's a design problem-which it isn't.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 PM

No not concerned. Ford has produced similarly sized Diesel engines in its ranger trucks in the UK ford years already that they will continuing to be supporting and make parts for.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 PM

This is basically the same diesel found in Jaguars and range rovers for the past 20 years, this motor will outlast the 2.7 and 3.5 eco boosts by far.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page