Regen Temperatures - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Regen Temperatures

In case any of you were wondering what kind of temps your engine is running during a regen I took screenshots of ForscanLite on my iPhone right before and during a regen.
The first gauge is the catalytic converter temp, 2nd is the cylinder head temp, 5th is a "dummy" EGT (exhaust gas temperature) that I forgot to remove from the layout, 6th, 7th and 8th are actual EGT's at different sensor locations, 9th is the engine oil temp, 10th is the oil pressure and 11th is the oil temperature in the oil pan.
Don't pay attention to where the gauges say "x1000", that is just an error in the programming, those are the actual temps in Fahrenheit.
The 1000+ temps is why I warn to watch for shutting down your engine during a regen, that kind of temp will scorch the oil on the bearings in your turbo because your turbo continues to spin long after the oil quits flowing. If you think you're in a regen give your engine a few minutes to cool down before turning it off. If you turn off the engine not realizing you are in a regen you can usually smell a slight odor of something overheated, just restart your engine and let it idle for a few minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: png before regen.PNG (357.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png after regen.PNG (356.4 KB, 19 views)
hydrex likes this.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

What program is this reading it?

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled | Tuning Tools In Hand/Ask Me I Can Help You!: HP Tuners/nGauge, EzLynk, Ford VCM II, OBDLink MX+
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

FORScan Lite

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:23 PM

Personally, I always try to let both of my diesels idle at least a minute before shut down. In my Ram's owner's manual it gives you cool down times depending on how you are driving before stopping. Up to 5 minutes if towing in hot weather or up hill. I do the same with my turbocharged Arctic Cat diesel. See a lot of diesel truck guys: Duramax, Powerstroke and Cummins owners shut their trucks off and jump out without any idle down. Figure they must have deeper pockets than me. BTW, I'm a boatbuilder and have sold hundreds of diesel powered boats. The owners with problems are the guys that start em up and go screaming out of the harbor without warming up or never give em a chance to cool down. Perhaps the Powerstrokes continue to circulate oil after shut down though. Also, regens in my Ram occur about every 750 miles or 1 per 26 gallon tank and last 10-12 miles. When I see the message, hit Tow/Haul button and drive until its over.

2017 Ram Ecodiesel, 2008 Arctic Cat turbo diesel

Last edited by hydrex; 05-09-2019 at 02:27 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

The Super Duty's flash a message up when going in to regen but the F150's don't ( I wish they did!).
Majority of people have never been taught about turbos. The gas ecoboosts run the same risk of burning up the turbo bearings. A driver comes flying up to a convenience store and shuts off the engine not realizing the turbo is probably still spinning at 50,000 rpms and now has no oil supply.
I'm not aware of any Ford diesel that continues to pump oil after the engine is turned off but I could be wrong. Of course the factories don't want us to know how to make the engines last forever, planned obsolescence and prematurely worn out engines are what makes a profit.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:51 PM

I know that these turbo's are ball bearing as opposed to the standard journal bearing. So maybe with this type of bearing the cool down period isn't as important, as the interface isn't maintained by the oil flow/film. This might be why ford is OK with start/stop on this engine, as well as not showing the DPF % to the common folk. In the coffee table book however I do see that there is an oil supply line to the turbo.

Regardless I still turn off my start stop every time I hop in (second nature now like putting on my seat belt), and I don't shut it down during a regen if I can avoid it.

With that said, I think my truck continues it's regen while i'm stopped, as I can hear a fast ticking from the engine, and the DPF% will tick down while i'm at a stop light. I've never tried putting it in park to see if that stops, but will try next time.

Last edited by Laytunes; 05-09-2019 at 05:57 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:59 PM

Would driving at residential speeds (engine not under much load) suffice for idling/cooling the turbo? If you aren't accelerating, driving fast or pulling, is the turbo essentially coasting?

Foolish questions?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshew View Post
Would driving at residential speeds (engine not under much load) suffice for idling/cooling the turbo? If you aren't accelerating, driving fast or pulling, is the turbo essentially coasting?

Foolish questions?
I am pretty sure if you are driving a while without making boost, it is cooling down or not generating much heat. Not an expert but that's what I read.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Consensus on the internet seems to be between 300-450F(or so) to shutdown. Everywhere I drive I am always right around that since it takes a bit to park, etc.

Basically, dont pull a full load, come to a stop and immediately turn engine off. I doubt many of us do that. Mine cools down really fast.

Technology and mechanics have come a long way, we really do not have much to worry about with these trucks. Just take it easy a bit before shutdown.

FYI The chart is from a 2014 RAM Diesel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11420d1448291806-turbo-bad-turbo-chart.jpg (160.1 KB, 10 views)

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled | Tuning Tools In Hand/Ask Me I Can Help You!: HP Tuners/nGauge, EzLynk, Ford VCM II, OBDLink MX+

Last edited by wreedsvt; 05-09-2019 at 10:48 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:29 PM

Is the turbo cooled by water or oil? Or neither?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page