Battery Warranty Process ? - Ford F150 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery Warranty Process ?

i recently (2019-07-15) purchased a 2018 Lariat, i have done some Forscan mods and installed a Blackvue dash cam.. during both these endeavours i have run into battery cutoff's which resulted in my having to throw a smart charger on the truck.

The camera monitors while parked and has a battery minder which turns off the system at 12.2v which is 40% charged. After charging the battery to 12.68v which os roughly 100% i can get a day before it depletes the battery to 12.2v and this thing pulls no amperage at all.

I think my battery probably froze on the lot as here in Alberta it gets dam cold, it sat for 12 months before i purchased it.. ( 12 months and here it gets to -40C for weeks at a time) I think it is in need of a replacement.

does anyone have experience getting a battery replaced ?

2018 F150 Lariat Sport - Oxford White, every available option.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Another member in the 3.0 facebook group just had his done, Ford tested it, showed bad, he was in and out in 30 minutes.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 PM

Jgleadle, I donít think the stuff you installed has anything to do with your issues. Iíve got a 2018 with no problems until about 2 months ago. I havenít change one thing. It never went into save batt mode and I have trickle charged it many times. Just took it in and the dealership called and said they couldnít find anything wrong with the charging system. Donít think they looked for a parasite. Theyíre keeping it over nite to see how it acts in the morning. Iíve done some research and this battery appears to be new and thereís other complaints. I noticed right before they called, my app said that my truck went into save batt mode. Itís only supposed to do that after youíve parked for a couple of weeks. I AM NOT taking it home until they change something. I have found a way to get it to crank if youíre in a bind (I was at the airport). Tap each battery post with a wrench (hard enough that you donít cause damage). Iíve used this method twice. The battery does take a charge and it lasts about a week and then I have to do it again.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Just called and my battery has one bad cell. These batteries must be moonrocks because theyíre waiting on one.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:09 AM

I looked at my battery and they are big monsters. They seem to retail for about $200 at the parts stores. I guess this is a compromise between one large battery and two smaller ones

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Its also huge to support the auto stop start system.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 07:34 PM

I had an interesting thing happen to me yesterday evening that brought me to this thread. I had parked my truck for about a week, which is somewhat common for me. Jumped in, tried to start it and *thunk* the starter barely moved and the dash went blank. Umm, ok, tried again and *thunk thunk* got a little more life out of the starter but same result. Foot off the pedal I tried just turning on the accessories and the dash lit up with tons of warnings, clearly there were many systems not getting the power they needed to function. Not sure what to do I put my foot on the brake and tried starting again *thunk thunk thunk* then blank. each successive attempt got a little more oomph from the motor and on the 6th or so attempt the battery had "woken up" enough for my truck to start. I drove it 2 hours that night as planned and no issues. The first 1.5 hours were highway and after that I stopped and started the vehicle twice without issue.

Anyone else had this happen to them? I haven't put my multimeter to the battery yet but everything feels like a bad battery which is discouraging given that I've had my truck for ~3200 miles and 3 months. A few details to mention: I have gotten around 30 "deep sleep activated" messages on my ford pass app since taking ownership of the truck. I had assumed that was normal, but after a search I don't believe it is normal at all. It is a 2018 so this truck sat on a lot in Atlanta for almost a year before I bought it and accumulated ~350 miles and 15 hours of idling time in the dealer's hands. An internet search didn't bring up anyone with these exact symptoms but others that have had many "deep sleep" app messages reported a bad battery. I did find one forum post where a dude mentioned his truck sat for a while before he bought and that killed a cell in his battery. Not sure if that is the case here. Oh, and the running boards haven't extended since the issue and other small things were off .. settings lost I guess?

I'll be calling my dealer soon and discussing with them but I'm a little discouraged. Hopefully it's just the battery and a quick warranty issue but still, never fun to get in your brand new truck and it not start on you. I'm shocked it started at all though, if it were a bad battery why would it "wake up" and start after a little prodding? I'll keep the forum updated when I learn more.

2018 King Ranch, 3.0, Black and gray two tone
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:14 PM

Hope you get it resolved soon. I have had zero electric issues so nothing of value to contribute.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

@Kingford - I'm going to guess that you have one or more bad cells in your battery due to the truck sitting for more than a year before you purchased it, and now your light usage. I know that the truck will send you the "deep sleep" warnings, but the number of warnings you are getting is excessive and indicative of a larger issue. This is the time of year when the overnight temps start to drop and a weak battery starts to rear its weaknesses and fail.

I would bring it into your dealer and ask for a battery test = I bet they find a dead cell. I would push for a new battery under warranty based on what you have explained.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 AM

I had a strahgevthing happen a few weeks ago when it got into the jid tomlow 30s overnight. The entertainment system screen wentbblack and stayed off for a while and then through 2 or 3 start cycles it mystersly started working again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page