Transmission leaking issue - Ford F150 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Transmission leaking issue

So I got my truck July 14th ish... drove it around for a week and then noticed a thin puddle in my driveway at the front of the truck, right near drivers front tire... took it to the dealer and they said it was coolant.. but res was full. I then drove some more.. city stuff no biggie. And then parked it for a month while I traveled to europe.

Upon return I find an even larger puddle and returned to the dealer promptly. This time they checked it over thoroughly and found the trans low. So they dyed the system and black lighted it, only to find fluid coming out of bell housing. When they pulled the belly plate and leaned it against the wall it commenced to draining a quart or more onto the floor out of the matting material.

Long story longer.. my 722 mile new 10spd trans ended up on a bench being completely gone through with all serviceable parts, seals and orings being replaced after they found the torque converter oring torn.

Hope my issue helps someone at some point. When I saw the liquid at front tire.. I did not guess trans either.

Now back and 400 miles more under its belt I finally get to really enjoy my diesel.

Thanks for reading.

2019 Magnetic Lariat PS.. Bone Stock.. picked up 06/13.. So far so good.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:46 PM

Ehhhhh. That’s not good. Hope it’s fixed for good now.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

@BPS_PS - thanks for sharing your experience!

I know from the FSA 18E02 EGR By-Pass valve recall that the lower radiator hose is in that vicinity, so I would have guessed radiator coolant also. Interesting that the matting material just sucked up the leak like a sponge, and the lowest point/hole on that cover must be near the driver's side front tire.

This 10-speed transmission was jointly developed by Ford and GM and being stuck in just about everything RWD these days that Ford is making:
  • 2017- Ford F-150
  • 2018- Ford Mustang
  • 2018- Ford Expedition
  • 2018- Lincoln Navigator
  • 2019- Ford Ranger
  • 2019- Ford Everest
  • 2019- Ford Mustang
I guess when you make a million of these 10-speed transmissions a year just for Ford F150s, you are bound to get one bad O-ring in the lot...

Thanks for the heads-up and I'll know if I see a puddle in that area to investigate beyond just a coolant leak.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 08-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE....

Trans Grenaded today.... Was driving down the highway after about 30 minutes all fine and good. We hit some traffic and had to come to a stop.. Went to take off again and trans would not grab a gear. Then at 2k+ on the rev counter it grabbed 1st and shook my fillings loose. went into limp mode and I drove it 20 moles back to the dealership.. by the time it got there it wouldn't even find reverse.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS_PS View Post
UPDATE....

Trans Grenaded today.... Was driving down the highway after about 30 minutes all fine and good. We hit some traffic and had to come to a stop.. Went to take off again and trans would not grab a gear. Then at 2k+ on the rev counter it grabbed 1st and shook my fillings loose. went into limp mode and I drove it 20 moles back to the dealership.. by the time it got there it wouldn't even find reverse.
Yeah I would imagine that you would have to be a really great transmission mechanic to figure out how to put this 10 speed back together. I would probably have demanded them replace the transmission unrvwarranty the first time stead of rebuilding it. Iirc these transmissions are a joint effort between ford and GMC so I would make sure they get me a new one. Who knows maybe your transmission left the plant on a Friday
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

@BPS_PS - Yikes! Assuming dealer has given you a loaner vehicle and a new transmission will be covered under warranty? Good luck!

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanrr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS_PS View Post
UPDATE....

Yeah I would imagine that you would have to be a really great transmission mechanic to figure out how to put this 10 speed back together. I would probably have demanded them replace the transmission unrvwarranty the first time stead of rebuilding it. Iirc these transmissions are a joint effort between ford and GMC so I would make sure they get me a new one. Who knows maybe your transmission left the plant on a Friday
I asked but the service guys said Ford made them repair.. I did ask for a new... This time.. I will be demanding... may make them do tfer case since I am sure the 20 miles and the smells we encountered didn't do it well either.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
@BPS_PS - Yikes! Assuming dealer has given you a loaner vehicle and a new transmission will be covered under warranty? Good luck!
Yes.. had a loaner waiting when I arrived.. had the new car manager drive truck to prove my point.. he was the one who couldn't get it to find reverse.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:32 PM

I do love me some Ford trucks but they are Bass tards when it comes to standing behind their products, I own a Subaru, my wife drives a Mazda and I have also owned a Audi. Their ownership is light years beyond anything Ford will ever do which is one reason I bought the extended 100 k mile warranty.

Good luck and do let us know how it goes.

thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

So after all the fun and games from the previous post. The dealer opened up the trans and found tons of metal shavings of course and said the fluid was molten looking. So the dealer put in a new trans. Have had the truck back now a few days, much better performance out of the trans. I now know what it was supposed to. Hopefully this is last update... oh.. and of course the buyback was denied .. let's see if they will try to take care of me when I talk to them again next week.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page