Problem with throttle need advice - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Problem with throttle need advice

I have a 2018 Platium bought last Nov. It has had the egr recall. Drivability locally has been terible. When pulling out from a stop you don't know if its going to move or not. The first time in they tried reloacating the throttle position switch. Same thing as before.

What happens is sometimes when slow or pulling out there is very little throttle response for several seconds and then it starts to pick up slowly, other time is may go like a jack rabbit being shot at by Elmer Fudd. I have heard of the issue sometimes whe you are rolling slow and no throttle but this is all the time. high speeds you set the cruise and it drives. If no cruise you can feel the same issue.

The truck has been at the dealer for over 2 weeks. They told me they were going to replace the turbo and when they pulled it out it had some flaking on the vains. They called on Friday and said they had replaced everything but wanted to keep it over the weekend and drive it to see if the issue went away. Its Monday almost noon and I have not heard from the dealer.

My question is: could it be possible that the egr problem could somehow effect the turbo physically. I know it can have issues with the bolt which I am not sure about the EGR repair went. I am getting to the point that I may want to check out the lemon law. I love the truck but getting worried about what's next
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds more like a ECM calibration issue. Take it to dealer and keep complaining. Make them hook up to IDS and flash ECM and TCM to latest files.

Do you have Forscan or some type of tuner you can read the strategies you are on now? I can tell you if they are old.
Do you know any codes it was throwing?

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acy540 View Post
I have a 2018 Platium bought last Nov. It has had the egr recall. Drivability locally has been terible. When pulling out from a stop you don't know if its going to move or not. The first time in they tried reloacating the throttle position switch. Same thing as before.

What happens is sometimes when slow or pulling out there is very little throttle response for several seconds and then it starts to pick up slowly, other time is may go like a jack rabbit being shot at by Elmer Fudd. I have heard of the issue sometimes whe you are rolling slow and no throttle but this is all the time. high speeds you set the cruise and it drives. If no cruise you can feel the same issue.

The truck has been at the dealer for over 2 weeks. They told me they were going to replace the turbo and when they pulled it out it had some flaking on the vains. They called on Friday and said they had replaced everything but wanted to keep it over the weekend and drive it to see if the issue went away. Its Monday almost noon and I have not heard from the dealer.

My question is: could it be possible that the egr problem could somehow effect the turbo physically. I know it can have issues with the bolt which I am not sure about the EGR repair went. I am getting to the point that I may want to check out the lemon law. I love the truck but getting worried about what's next
I would guess it is POSSIBLY an EGR malfunction. If is is opening and sending exhaust gas before the RPMs have increased it could stall or result in loss of power.

KR2018

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Its been at the Dealer going on 3 weeks. It never through any codes. just a drivability issue . My guess would be they have reflashed it several time plus the turbo I hear. They said 4 guys drove it including the service manger, all agreed something wrong. The dealership is pretty good to us, we have purchased 17 or 18 cars from them since 2012.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

If you have bought 18 cars, make them give you a new one and lemon law it! Send it back to Dearborn to diagnose.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Mine does the identical stall as you describe. 2018 Lariat. It doesn’t do it very often but definitely the exact same issue as you described. I also installed a Pedal Commander however not to solve that issue but it still does it. The commander definitely eliminated the throttle delay and makes it more enjoyable to drive when this other issue isn’t present. Like I said mine doesn’t do it often but funny thing is it did it yesterday and my wife as passenger said why did the truck feel like it didn’t want to move? Yup does that from time to time. We were turning right on a red with traffic coming. I’m definitely interested if more have had this happening. I personally think it’s a software issue. At least I’m hoping.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Between The Egr and this I am really considering going for the lemon law. I didn't hear a thing from the dealer today si I am assuming the turbo replacement didn't fix it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:37 PM

Sounds similar to my problem. A vein in the vgt turbo broke and kept the actuator from working properly. Replaced turbo, new turbo was bad. Replace turbo again and problem solved.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 PM

I also have 18 with 20k miles on it and mine has done the same thing but it has only done it to me about three times
KR2018 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

If I decide to push the lemon law what have people heard on the 2019 diesels?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page