3.0 Fuel Filter Replacement - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

3.0 Fuel Filter Replacement

I just got finished replacing the fuel filters on my new to me 2018. 27K miles. Fairly straightforward. The filter under the truck is the same as the fuel water separator. I hooked a hose to it to drain it. I drained more than 3 quarts of fuel and thought it was never going to end so just started loosening the filter. Even more poured out before it was finished, probably close to 5 quarts total so be prepared.
After that, you have to remove an "L" shaped skid plate with 4 bolts covering the filter. It is either a 14 or 15mm socket with blue loctite so use impact if you're lazy like me. The filter removes with a 1-1/4" socket. Lube the o-ring and install the new one.
Under the hood, the smaller filter is fairly easy, although you have to climb on the engine to reach it in the back. It's right on top behind the plastic top engine cover. There's a clamp with an allen head bolt (5mm allen) to loosen the filter. The fuel line clips don't require tools, the right side has a safety clip that slides to the left and then two black buttons to release. The left side just has to black buttons to release. A little fuel will spill out so make sure to have rags underneath the lines.
Make sure you pay attention to the orientation of the filter, it points the opposite of what I expected and had to double check with the old one. It flows from left to right (passenger to driver).
Put everything back together and do a "key on" cycle several times and check for leaks. I was able to hear in the garage the pump pushing air out of the filter each time I turned the "key" back on (button on my Lariat). After several (maybe 6?) times I started the truck, it turned over maybe one more time than normal before firing up.
I hope this helps someone, there's not much maintenance info yet for these motors but I'm not good at trying to make a youtube video so text it what you get.
mascrappo and starshockey like this.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds straight forward, too bad Ford made it so complicated when other manufacture's use simple and just as effective filtration.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:05 PM

Just change both fuel filters. Took a total of 15 minutes. Very easy to do. Dealer wanted $229 got both filters from rock auto for $75 As JD said itís easy.
mascrappo likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:30 AM

Thank you this post!!! Been wondering about replacing the filters here shortly! Any chance you have photos of the filter locations and part numbers? would be GREATLY appreciated.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetisov22 View Post
Thank you this post!!! Been wondering about replacing the filters here shortly! Any chance you have photos of the filter locations and part numbers? would be GREATLY appreciated.
One filter is in a screw on canister in front of the fuel tank and another in the middle top of the engine bay under the PowerStroke cover.

Here is a pic of the engine mounted location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (136.6 KB, 45 views)

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

That sounds somewhat reasonable for a dealer price. I paid ~68 before shipping for the filters on dieselfilters.com. Part number is FD-4627 so add dealer markup and an hour labor and "shop fees" and that sounds about right.

I'll have to get some better lighting to take photos but that one photo shows where the one is on top of the engine. If you pull off the plastic engine cover it is right on top near the firewall.

The one under the truck is maybe a foot or so forward of the fuel tank behind a "L" shaped skid plate. There is a hole to drain from the filter since this is also the fuel water separator but to get the filter out you have to remove the whole plate.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Thank you for this information!!!

Do either of you have a part number for the filter next to the tank?

Have anyone looked into the new motorcraft performance fuel filters?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

FD4627 comes with both filters.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...2174&jsn=10978
acy540 and Dunrollin like this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 PM

thank you!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page