Diesel F150 Forum banner

P2002 Code

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul Neubauer 
#1 ·
Had the P2002 code come up a couple months ago. I reset the code and it came back about 30 miles later. Brought into the dealer and they reset the code and said they could not get it to do it again. Picked it up on Thursday and about 80 miles later it’s back. Anyone throw this code?

#2 ·
@Chadhender - can we ask what type of driving you are doing? Mostly local? Mix of local and highway? Primarily highway? Have you done any mods/tunes?

Really good write-up of what P2002/P2003 codes are here: P2002 Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold B1
- If you are doing mostly local driving, I would take your truck out on the highway for a DPF "blow-out" run to get EGTs up into range for a good regen
- If you are doing primarily highway driving, then you have a DPF-related issue for Bank #1 on the RIGHT side of the engine (side of engine with Cylinder #1)

Potential causes (from the above URL)
  • Too much slow speed operation will cause this code
    - It takes heat in the 500c to 600c range to burn off the soot in the DPF
    - Even with the ECUs efforts in engine management, it has difficulty in creating enough heat to clear the DPF at slow engine speeds​
  • An air leak forward of the DPF will change the sensor readings resulting in the code
  • Defective ECU strategies or components will prevent proper regeneration
  • Fuel with a large percentage of sulfur will clog the DPF quickly
  • Some aftermarket accessories and performance modifications
  • Dirty air cleaner element
  • Damaged DPF

#4 ·
@Chadhender - OK, you are doing some serious mileage, so this isn't an issue being caused by "Too much slow speed operation" or modifications.

Something is wrong and your dealer needs to diagnose, as this has happened to you on more than one occasion.

Although inconvenient, I would keep bringing back every time it happens and start mentioning your state's Lemon Law...

#5 ·
@jmperlik nice support work to @Chadhender on this one. Your superior technical writing skills never cease to amaze. Keep up the awesome contributions you do in support of our fellow forum members. A big THANKS!

Reactions: mbates6o
#8 ·
Have they flashed the ECM to the latest software from Ford? Have you done a manual regen with Forscan?

#7 ·
Where are you taking it in Houston? Mac Haik for has a diesel only shop, they have been good to my 3.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.