Loss of Oil Pressure at idle - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Angry Loss of Oil Pressure at idle

I have a 2018 3.0L with 15,000 miles on it. After the first oil change by the dealer at 3000 miles, the engine comes up to temp 192. I lose oil pressure at an idle. Dealer replaced the sensor 3 times. And I'm still having the issue. Ford recommended the oil pump be replaced. New part number for this oil pump. I left the dealership after new oil pump installed, and the same thing happens when the engine comes up to temp. The dealership has now had my truck for over a month. Ford motor company has no idea to what is wrong. They are sending an engineer to to the dealership to determine what the issue is. I am very unhappy with Ford at this point. The engine was starves of oil, it knocked hard the last few times this happen. I asked for a buy back on this truck. It has issues. Anyone else have the same problem?
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL Brown View Post
I have a 2018 3.0L with 15,000 miles on it. After the first oil change by the dealer at 3000 miles, the engine comes up to temp 192. I lose oil pressure at an idle. Dealer replaced the sensor 3 times. And I'm still having the issue. Ford recommended the oil pump be replaced. New part number for this oil pump. I left the dealership after new oil pump installed, and the same thing happens when the engine comes up to temp. The dealership has now had my truck for over a month. Ford motor company has no idea to what is wrong. They are sending an engineer to to the dealership to determine what the issue is. I am very unhappy with Ford at this point. The engine was starves of oil, it knocked hard the last few times this happen. I asked for a buy back on this truck. It has issues. Anyone else have the same problem?

Is the low oil pressure light coming on? I have not seen this issue yet with the 3 liter diesel motors. Did you have any other symptoms before the oil pressure warning such as missing or noises?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

The low oil pressure light comes on and warning bell. No other symptoms. This has been an issue, as the dealer told me that they have changed the oil pump on 2 other trucks. Ford has a new part number for the oil pump. Look for this to be a recall in the future. My anger stems from dealing with Ford over this issue. They are dragging their feet on replacing the engine. The engine clearly knocked hard hard from being starved of oil. This only happens at an idle when your in gear. If you place the truck in park or neutral, the RPM's come up enough to bring the oil pressure up. But after they changed the oil pump it also loses oil pressure at around 5 MPH.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Your problem is the first I have heard of this. So I assume you have auto/ stop start if you are in gear and come to a complete stop the truck will shut down. I am not sure why your oil pressure drops if it is rpm specific or you have something else internally going on in the engine. Have you always had the oil changed at the dealership with the specific Motorcraft diesel oil? Wrong oil viscosity can cause low pressure warnings but so can a lot of other things as well.

When you rev the engine or under normal loads does the oil light stay on, it would be interesting to monitor the oil pressure while your driving to see where it is dipping into low pressure.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

@DL Brown - given you have 15K miles on your odometer and done at least one (1) oil change, may we ask what brand of oil you are using and what viscosity?

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I have auto start/stop. I hate it, and disable it when I startup. Oil changes have all been performed by the dealer using 5/30 recommended oil. Under normal load the the pressure is fine and and light goes off. Dealership still has my truck, they are waiting for the Ford engineering team to get here this week. I'm located in Utah.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

All oil changes have been done by the dealer at this point. 1 year free oil changes with purchase of truck. A total of 3 have been performed at 5000. They are using the Motor craft 5/30 recommended oil.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:09 PM

okay, in order for auto start stop to work properly it needs normal readings from 12 parameters and I believe oil pressure to be one of them. Did the auto/ start stop always work on your truck? Since they replaced the pressure sensor several times I would tend to go towards other issues being involved such as the ECU or programming. Low oil pressure at idle can be sign of bearing failure and wear but your truck is too new for any of that. I would imagine the oil pump on this 3 liter is buried within the engine meaning they might as well put a new crate motor in which sounds like what they are doing.

You will have to let us know what the outcome is,
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I will keep you posted on the outcome. Yes the auto stop/start has always worked. And even when the it's engaged for for auto shut off it has the issue. The oil pump isn't that bad to to change. The front is off and that's it
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

After replacing the oil pump, I would think their next action should be to drop the lower oil pan cover and see if the oil pickup screen (see Page 18 of 3.0L Ford F-150 Diesel Coffee Table Book) has any debris that would be restricting flow, as it sounds like the issue goes away as RPMs increase, so perhaps partial blockage of the oil pickup could be a cause.

Now you may not like what you find in the pickup screen, but if metal shavings, then you might have more evidence to support your buyback request.

I would think this check should have be done by now, given they have FRU-replaced 2 sensors and an oil pump assembly -- dropping the lower oil pan is probably easier than either of the things they have already replaced....
KR2018 and DL Brown like this.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page