DEF fluid - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

DEF fluid

Stopped at a Sheetz today to fill my DEF. tank. Surprise. The pump nozzle doesn’t fit in our tank. What the **** was Ford thinking!
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 11:42 PM

You are going to be wondering what you are thinking if you run anything other than motorcraft def fluid in this truck
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I have use 6-7 different types with no problems. 40000.0 and running fine.
ScotsSkier likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 03:55 PM

Doesn't matter the brand of DEF, I fill mine up at the truckstop near my house. Pull up to a diesel truck pump and just use the DEF nozzle, much cheaper that way.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 04:19 PM

Brand of def makes no difference, just be sure to check the date on the package. If you can find it at a station with truck pumps, even better. Wish there was at least one near me.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:11 PM

The only thing to look out for on DEF fluid is if it's API certified, if it is, you are good to run it. All the major brands seem to be API certified.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 09:54 PM

Is this the first diesel for most of you all? Might want to ask your local diesel mechanics and service advisors about blue def and the regen system in Ford trucks many have had to be replaced bevause of it and the lubrication in usa diesel is not enough for our euro designed engines which is why many 5-8 thousand dollar fuel systems have to get replaced at 100 thousand miles or so
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanrr View Post
Is this the first diesel for most of you all? Might want to ask your local diesel mechanics and service advisors about blue def and the regen system in Ford trucks many have had to be replaced bevause of it and the lubrication in usa diesel is not enough for our euro designed engines which is why many 5-8 thousand dollar fuel systems have to get replaced at 100 thousand miles or so
What are you talking about? The lubricity of diesel fuel has nothing to do with DEF. DEF doesn't go into your fuel system at any point... It's injected into the exhaust downstream of the DPF before the NOx cat. Is this your first diesel? lol. Completely separate systems and issues easily solved with a) Using API certified DEF, and b) adding a lubricity additive to your fuel.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:55 AM

Just a word to the wise.....I would recommend you consider the following:

Should your truck be under warranty, and an issue with your DEF system crops up, and you are using some off-brand DEF, it is possible you could be refused warranty especially if what you put in was old or contaminated.

By using and keeping your receipt for Motorcraft DEF purchases, preferably from the FORD dealer will eliminate the BS entirely. Why take a chance for a few bucks or convenience. Should an issue develop, using what FORD sells takes away the problem you will likely face when they deny warranty based on crappy DEF in your tank. Yes....DEF is basically all the same product, but it IS SENSITIVE to heat, age, storage temperature etc, and can crystallize quicker that you know what. For what it costs, get it from a dealer, and keep the receipts always. Just some optional friendly advice.....your experiences may vary.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:52 AM

My owner manual just says it has to be API approved for warranty purposes. I just buy the Walmart brand.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.47.45 AM.png (145.9 KB, 10 views)
ScotsSkier likes this.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page