Mileage, specs and regrets? - Page 3 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjasper View Post
For those that have hand calculated enough times and done so consistently, there is a way to modify/correct what your instrument panel display is providing for mpg's to align to your hand calculated numbers --> https://www.f150forum.com/f118/fix-i...inutes-421912/

I have not tried this myself yet, as my truck seems to be within 0.5 mpg of actual (At least when I am running summer diesel. On winter blend diesel I think the LOM (Lie-O-Meter) is off more.).

Before attempting the instructions in the above link, I would recommend tracking your calculations to display over several tanks. I would also fill up at the exact same fuel station and exact same pump number with the truck in the near exact position and fill up like The Fast Lane Truck guys do (wait until pump clicks off, wait 30 seconds, then fill again until it clicks off). Being consistent in approach will yield the most accurate hand calculated number to go in and adjust the LOM.

If anyone does try to re-program their truck with the instructions in the above link, please post your experience in doing so for the rest of us to learn from--thanks!
I’ve done the linked procedure - all your recommendations are good, especially consistent method of filling the tank. For best results, average the calibration factor from multiple fill-ups. The procedure is only written to go from the factory default of 1000 to your custom number.

If you goof up your math or get bad results from the custom setting chosen, best to return to default and try things again after more data collection. It will never be 100% perfect, but my LOM is usually within a few tenths of my Fuelly calculation now, where it was off by over 1 MPG before.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Thanks @kdjasper ! I'm comforted to know that Ford seems to intend on folks just going about their daily life blissfully ignorant in this truck without ever thinking about what happens to their exhaust. At the same time though, the big reason I got the 3.0 was fuel economy (without sacrificing the performance I care about) and I think understanding the regens will help maximize that in the mixed driving I do. I'll be doing the OCR in FORscan at some point but I just got the DPF% up there and want to monitor it for a bit first. The OCR is just the "auto regen" feature you can enable in FORscan, right?

Like @TexAg2010 mentioned (also, go Aggies!!), the MPG adjustment is a great trick. Haven't done it yet on this new truck but coming from a 2017 XLT 3.5 NA, that thing was always off by the typical 1-1.2 MPGs and that fix worked a treat.

FWIW, that XLT 3.5NA is what led me to my current truck. Going back to the reason for the thread, that was my first truck I could get over 20 MPGs in, better than my little old Tacoma! That 3.5NA is a great engine, I actually prefer it over my Dad's ecoboost where the MPGs are like 3-4 better non-boosted and I'd dare say reliability will be too. That was a great all-round truck. Insane value for money compared to what everyone here (including me) paid for their 3.0 truck. However, as similar as that truck was to my new 3.0, I mean it drove similarly, my butt in the seat felt the same, fills the same needs, even looked pretty similar in the driveway .. the trucks were so different. Everything I touch inside my King Ranch is better and I literally have a hard time finding a single piece that's the same. The technology makes a huge difference - I hate to admit I park the thing better with the 360 camera. The 3.0 won't wake anyone up at a stoplight but the effortless surge on the highway will surprise you. No drama with this engine unlike any high revving gasser and the 10 speed trans is a work of art compared to that old 6 and its shift points that were never quite right, no matter what mode you were in. Now that I think of it, the only downside of my new truck compared to my old is no more bench seat. I still grab for the column shifter and miss having my lady next to me .. or better yet my dog, lol.
justlucky and Laytunes like this.

2018 King Ranch, 3.0, Black and gray two tone

Last edited by Kingford; 08-22-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

@Kingford and others interested in adding Operator Commanded Regen (OCR) to your truck via FORScan, read through the following thread --> https://www.dieself150forum.com/foru...uck-regen.html

Probably best to read through the whole thread start to finish and make some notes as to which post #'s provided the valuable info to assist you in setting this up.

Cheers!

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:09 PM

After now driving 2000 miles the truck is reading 30.5 US mpg.
When I fill up it says 1250 km to empty (776 miles)

It is better than I thought but keep in mind I am driving 90% highway around 70 mph.
justlucky likes this.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, just checking in for more current updates from 3.0 owners. How many miles do you have on your trucks and any mechanical issues to speak of? I’d be curious to know your average mpg and gear ratio too. I’m holding out until after the first of the year but hope I can pull the trigger in early 2020.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Just flipped 15K on the odometer:
  • ~22 MPG City driving (daily commute)
  • 27-28MPG Highway driving (highway trips to drop-off/pick-up daughter in college)
  • Platinum trim level w/FX4 package = 3.31 Electronic screw
  • No major mechanical issues beyond Ford recall/FSAs (e.g. EGR By-pass valve replacement now resolved in 2019 and later models)
Hope this info helps in your buying decision...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 10-15-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
Just flipped 15K on the odometer:
  • ~22 MPG City driving (daily commute)
  • 27-28MPG Highway driving (highway trips to drop-off/pick-up daughter in college)
  • Platinum trim level w/FX4 package = 3.31 Electronic screw
  • No major mechanical issues beyond Ford recall/FSAs (e.g. EGR By-pass valve replacement now resolved in 2019 and later models)
Hope this info helps in your buying decision...
Fantastic.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:44 PM

3.55 platinum 4x4. 8k miles 23mpg city/country roads 28 on freeway. I frequently use eco mode and turn off the stop start “technology”.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone comment the fuel mileage difference between the 3:31 gears and 3:55 as far as mileage goes? How much of an increase or decrease between the two? And how much of a difference would the gears make pulling a small 18-19’ travel trailer?
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

@ThreeO4Me - I have only owned the 3.31 Electronic gears, as I have ordered the FX4 package on my 2010 and 2015 F150 V8 and again on my 2018 F150 PS 3.0L V6 Diesel, so I cannot answer your questions.

While I understand your yearning to learn as much as possible before pulling the trigger on your purchase, your question is somewhat a loaded question, as the only person who could realistically answer this question is a dealer who has put enough demo miles on each ratio or an owner who has owned both 3.31 and 3.55 gears (read 2 different vehicles) in the last 15 months = I'm not sure any of us here can afford that.

If you are hung up on axles, I would review the Axle Availability chart on Page 28 of the 2019 Ford F-150 Order Guide to find that there are only three (3) axle options available for the F150 PS 3.0L V6 Diesel in only two (2) different ratios: 3.31 vs 3.55 (See screen cap below)

Larger ratio = gears spin slower for same engine RPM and transmission gear = better gas economy
=> Based on the averages that @Meisterics and I (both Platinums) posted above to your initial question, the 3.31 gears are costing me ~1 MPH is both city and highway driving
=> There are other factors involved in MPG such as: 2WD vs AWD vs 4WD, Active AWD (front axles always spinning) on Lariat and above trim levels, weight/payload, etc

Multiple owners have chimed in on other threads that they are towing small trailers with both axle ratios w/o any issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-F-150-Order-Guide-Axle-Availability.jpg (210.5 KB, 6 views)

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; Yesterday at 10:46 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page