Mileage, specs and regrets? - Page 5 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Garage
I have a 2018 Lariat with 502a , chrome package and sunroof. I drive 184 miles daily round trip to and from work, so I have over 26,000 on it already. The only thing I really dislike is the sunroof - I would not purchase another sunroof as it rattles on anything but perfectly smooth pavement.

Funny note - I was making a 335 mile trip to Michigan's upper peninsula towing a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton regular cab on a flatbed trailer and managed to get 18.9mpg going 65mph. I saw a Ford engineer at a rest stop and chatted about it (he was driving an F-450).

Outside of the sunroof thing, love the truck and would definitely love to have a larger tank like I had in my previous F150, a 2014 3.5 Ecoboost (36 gallon tank).

Jeff
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 07:14 PM

What do you expect the problem is with the noise..
I only have a 1000 miles on mine and love it, but I heard if you don't use it the problems will come.. Glad to hear about the fuel mileage, makes me feel optimistic.. Jerry

Jerry Adams
2019 3,0 PS XLT-FX4
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:09 AM

The Ford sunroofs that they use in the F150s use cheap plastic bits and slide guide rails, almost all of them will fail at some point up to 100-150 thousand miles, which is why I got mine without sunroof. Previous or multiple F150 owners will tell you that the sunroofs are one of the weakest links in these trucks. They make kits and lots of shops are familiar with how to replace the riveted plastic bits that will break over time especially for those that live up north.

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM

Just reached 5,000 miles on my 2018. Overall, I believe this truck is very underrated and that the diesel nameplate tends to scare a lot of peeps off simply by it being a D I E S E L. Wow....tragic.

However, I have the opinion this truck is a mechanical masterpiece of engineering. Even with the necessary EPA emission requirements, it runs smooth and quiet at all times and returns fantastic mileage numbers under all circumstances. I did install a throttle sprint-booster to pep up the accelerator pedal response which made a great difference to drive-ability. In standard form, I found the accelerator pedal a bit lethargic which tends to give the impression that the truck is slow. Sprint-Booster sorted that out (not associated with them, just a customer).

The second thing I did was to install Bilstein 5100 gas shocks all round which also allowed a 2.1 inch level on the front end. Now, in all honesty, anyone who has done this knows the unbelievable improvement in ride and handling. For those who are thinking about it....DO IT. The difference in stability between the crappy FX4 shocks and the Bilstein's is like night and day. I highly recommend this upgrade even if you do not do anything else to your truck. Well worth the cost. As a bonus, they eliminate the tail waggle going over train tracks....GREAT!

Lastly, I do add Optilube to every fill up just to protect the fuel pump from possibly crappy diesel. The engine is noticeably more responsive and quieter.

On the next oil change, I will be going with Amsoil Diesel 5W-30 Signature.

Other than that...I can honestly state this is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, and I have had many of them over the years. Very pleased, and would not hesitate to replace it with exactly the same thing should anything ever happen to this one.

All in all....A+ to Ford from a very satisfied customer.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:46 AM

Are you saying the shocks gave you the front end lift, or did you add the lift and the shocks helped the driveability.
Thanks Jerry

Jerry Adams
2019 3,0 PS XLT-FX4
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradymaci View Post
Are you saying the shocks gave you the front end lift, or did you add the lift and the shocks helped the driveability.
Thanks Jerry
Jerry,

I had the Bilstein 5100 shocks installed all round. The front shocks are made to be adjustable from standard ride height to 2.1 inches. I had mine set at 2.1 to level the truck with no rake. They also verified and adjusted the headlights and alignment, which is required when the ride height is changed on the front end. This is a common way to solve leveling the truck to essentially get rid of the rake, and allow for larger tires if needed as well as obtaining a much more superior ride at the same time. I am keeping the factory rims and tires, and it looks great. The difference driving it between standard shocks and these Bilstein's is very noticeable, and a vast improvement. It definitely exceeded my expectations that's for sure.... and I am a picky *******.

I do think that for 60 grand, it should have come from the factory with this quality of a ride...but it didn't, so we got it sorted.

Again, 5100's....highly recommended.

Yes...its only the shock bodies that are used to lift the front end, nothing else is required. Doing this is much better than just installing a 2.0 inch lift spacer as you are still left with the crappy ride from the standard shocks.

Last edited by Axles of Evil; 11-20-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 04:13 PM

Man that is some Great information, Im going to check into the shocks..Thanks again, Jerry

Jerry Adams
2019 3,0 PS XLT-FX4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page