Weathertech mudflaps - Page 2 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

@kdjasper - thanks for the pics...

@RocknRescue - thanks for the links -- I think I found the magic combination to order what I want...

To the both of you, one last question: Any ideas how they would hold up if you take them thru an automated carwash with a rotating brush for the rocker panels?

Going to ask my car wash guys what they policy is for mud flaps and if they have issues/claims:
  • I have an unlimited wash plan for the winter months
  • I have been taking advantage of the unlimited part due the many small storms we have had in the Northeast this season
  • Roads up here are still covered in salt since we haven't had a good rain yet

I like what I see with the Gatorbacks in terms of quality and build, so the answer to this last question may be the go/no-go deal breaker.

My dealership only works with the factory Ford mud flaps, but my Service Manager is looking at this brand for his Raptor: ROKBLOXZ Ford F-150 2015+ Mud Flaps

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards & Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have been through the Paradise Car Wash (automatic wash) here with mine and no problem. If they are installed properly, these Gatorbacks aren't going anywhere--really good quality mud flaps. Also, Paradise Car Wash accepts accountability should they cause any damages as you stated.

I would say get the Gatorbacks and you will love them--I do!

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:24 PM

I agree with @kdjasper , excellent quality. I don’t think you will have an issue with the auto car wash, they have flexibility to them, they are not extremely rigid like others. Go for it, you won’t be disappointed!! Good luck!!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 AM

I too have front and rear Weathertechs. I've been thru the automatic car wash with under carriage wash, side blasters at least 10 times now. The flaps didn't loosen or move around. Install was not quick but easy, no drilling. The only issue would be the area molded for the latch holds mud. Mud then is thicker and doesn't wash off as fast when I use a wash bay, no biggie. I live on a gravel road so they get used!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

I know this is a Weathertech mudflap thread, but I just want to follow-up on what I found/decided on: Truck Hardware "Gatorback" splash guards/mudflaps

After a lot of Internet research, I have found that the best price/deal on these Gatorback splash guards is.... (drumroll please) Your local Ford dealer

I now understand why @kdjasper and @RocknRescue how/why they had their dealer installed before they picked their vehicles up: Gatorbacks are a Ford-authorized Accessory

My dealer doesn't play in the Ford accessory market (they are not listed in the dealer search when you click on the "Find local pricing" link) by stocking/pushing authorized Ford accessories as part of their new car sales strategy, but I asked and they ordered the following Ford part # for me: Splash Guards - Gatorback by Truck Hardware, Front Pair, w/F-150 Black Decal

While the above link is for the FRONT Gatorback splash guard kit, you will not be able to find the matching REAR Gatorback splash guard kit (for any style) on accessories.ford.com, but the Parts Counter person at your local dealership can order both front and rear kits internally thru the Ford Parts system.

Here are my reasons why you want to go with the Ford Part#/Kit:
  1. The mudflaps in the Ford kits are pre-cut/pre-drilled (ones thru distributor are not)
  2. The Ford kits include both the mudflaps and the "no-drill" aluminum mount kits
  3. The price for the combined kit (mudflaps & brackets) is cheaper than ordering each individually (which is what I was planning to do)
  4. There is zero charge for shipping if you chose the "Ship-to-Dealer" option (I would have had to paid two different shipping charges if I ordered individually)
  5. Shipping is lightening quick using Ford's internal distribution/shipping network (Dealer ordered Thursday afternoon & received by 8AM Friday morning)
  6. 10%-30% discount on Ford parts & accessories depending on time of year (e.g. 30% off offer on Ford parts/accessories during Black Friday last year)
  7. Ford-certified installation videos on YouTube for their Gatorback kits:
Having seen/felt these Gatorback mudflaps in-person now, I now agree with @kdjasper and @RocknRescue with regard to build quality and appearance:
  • These are very, very nice mudflaps and in my opinion well-worth the price
  • My Service Manager couldn't believe how heavy they were compared to the RokBloxz on his just installed on his Raptor
  • My Service Manager was however worried about the negative impact their weight would have on my fuel economy
Mine will be dealer-installed next Tuesday or Wednesday = looking forward to getting them installed

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards & Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 03-30-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
  • My Service Manager was however worried about the negative impact their weight would have on my fuel economy
Mine will be dealer-installed next Tuesday or Wednesday = looking forward to getting them installed
I had no noticeable impact on fuel economy.

You are going to love these Gatorbacks! Good choice @jmperlik and thanks for doing all that research for others as well. I didn't research all that much, not even on price, I just saw them on an F150 on my dealer's indoor showroom and told the aftermarket manager to order up a set for me and install them--I was that impressed with the quality!

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page