Diesel F150 Forum banner

Titan fuel tank on 5.5 short box powerstroke

29K views 74 replies 18 participants last post by  beaker 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I am hunting down my parts for an emissions delete :surprise: :surprise:

I will be removing my DEF tank as part as the job even though members have reported it can stay on the truck to save work/time. My question is has anyone successfully removed the DEF tank and installed the larger fuel tank? As far as I can see, the larger fuel tank is possible on the 5.5 gas engine because there is no DEF tank in the way. Also I it would have been possible if I went with the 6.5 bed, had Ive known before purchasing I would have went that route.

Thanks

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
now on the website

The 40 gal Titan tank for our trucks is now on their website ... all $1100 worth! Dang!

I guess this may be an ignorant question, but how does this affect your fuel gauge? I had a Dodge 3500 dually with a Cummins engine that had a 90 gallon tank right behind the cab. We were able to make the fuel gauge work with the accessory tank. Just wondering if anyone had looked at the Titan effect ...

#9 ·
I ordered one for a friend 2 weeks ago. It should be here tomorrow according to Fedex tracking.

#10 ·
Tank shows to be delivered tomorrow.

#11 ·
The 5.5ft bed tank arrived today for my friend. All intact. Looks good. Will post install results when he installs it.

#12 · (Edited)
Sub'd. Super interested to hear about how this goes. Is your friend installing himself? Seems easy enough. Any concerns with voiding any warranty with this? Like another comment, give us a report of the fuel gauge and how that is effected, if at all. Of course, usable range too!!

One question regarding the product itself, is there a heat/debris shield? I haven't crawled under my truck to check but in the installation pdf on titan's site, the OEM unit appears to have a shield on what looks like the passenger side of the tank (fig 6 in their instructions). Not 100% sure what that's for but I didn't see it on the Titan tank and was curious. Maybe not even needed??

Looking forward to your report back @wreedsvt!

#13 ·
I think he is going to have the big Powerstroke shop in town do it, Power Stroke Enginuities.

#14 ·
I had a concern for those of you with the short bed and the 40-gallon Titan, thinking that it would have to drop a lot lower than the OEM tank to support the extra fuel. I just looked at their website on that, and can report back that they stay the same for both the 48-gallon for the long bed as for the 40-gallon short bed: "...it hangs approximately only 1.9” below bottom of the stock tank". I was happy to see this same statement on both tanks.

My truck is the long bed with the FX4 package, so I have the 48-gallon Titan on mine. I would say that visually (and tape measured) my Titan is only about 3/4" lower than the OEM because the skid plate is removed which was probably riding about 1" below the OEM tank.

I'm really, really happy with my 48-gallon Titan.

Here is the FORScan mod you guys will need to do that are having the 40-gallon Titan tank installed:

Change Fuel Tank Size
IPC 720-03-01 xxx5 EAxx xxxx

3D9 = 26 gallon (what you should see before changing)
5EA = 40 gallon (this is what you will change it to)
719 = 48 gallon (this is what I changed my truck to)

I changed in FORScan at home just prior to driving in for the install at my dealer, and told them that I already did the FORScan mod to calibrate for the larger replacement tank.

You guys getting this 40-gallon on your 5'5" bed trucks are going to love it! I'm glad that Titan created this tank, and I am guessing they will probably sell more 40-gallon tanks than the 48-gallon tanks because there are more out there with the short bed vs. long bed. Interesting to me that they made the bigger tank available first and not the opposite.

Reactions: indianaboost
#15 ·
@kdjasper - as my Titan 40-gallon tank is being delivered tomorrow and installed the following week, I was going to PM you to ask if you could figure out what the FORScan DTE mod for the 40-gallon tank would be...

Here is the FORScan mod you guys will need to do that are having the 40-gallon Titan tank installed:

Change Fuel Tank Size
IPC 720-03-01 xxx5 EAxx xxxx

3D9 = 26 gallon (what you should see before changing)
5EA = 40 gallon (this is what you will change it to)
719 = 48 gallon (this is what I changed my truck to)

I changed in FORScan at home just prior to driving in for the install at my dealer, and told them that I already did the FORScan mod to calibrate for the larger replacement tank.
Thank you for providing this info for all of us!

Now I need to go figure out why my ODBLink MX+ is not visible to my laptop or iPhone via Bluetooth....

#16 ·
I did 5EA on my friend getting the tank. We did it when he picked up so its ready.

#17 ·
I think I posted this info in the 48-gallon TItan tank thread, but just wanted to make you guys aware that the max distance to empty (DTE) that you will see displayed in the instrument panel cluster is 999--there is a 3-digit max with miles but you can switch to km and then you get 4-digits (and compute miles DTE from that). Another approach is that the FordPass app will show DTE in miles > 1000, so for example it may show 145 on a full tank, add 1000 to that gives you 1145 miles DTE.

I just didn't want any of you getting the 40-gallon Titan tank to be wondering why the max DTE is 999.

Enjoy the extra capacity and range!

#18 · (Edited)
@kdjasper - yes, I remember from your earlier post about the 3-digit limit for DTE miles only.

Given that the Titan tank for the 5.5' bed is only 40 gallons, the 3-digit limit for DTE miles will only affect me if I am getting >25 MPG (40 gallons x 25 miles/gallon = 1000 miles), so except for long trips where I would get my average MPG above 25 MPG, the 3 digits will be adequate for me. With the 48 gallon Titan tank with your 6.5' bed, you have a lot more miles above 999 to account for...

Thanks again for the FORScan value for the 40 gallon tank = My tank arrived at my Ford dealer today and I am about to go over and take a look at it....

#19 ·
Well its installed. More to come.

#21 ·
For those about to get the replacement tank installed at the dealership or about to do it yourself, this may seem obvious, but you will want to run your tank down to just ~3 gallons remaining so that the tank is lighter to handle on the removal and less fuel to transfer over to the new tank.

#22 ·
Yup that is what my friend did.

#23 · (Edited)
@kdjasper - Slowly inching my way down to a DTE of zero before I drop my truck off at my dealer on Tuesday for my Titan XXL 40 gal tank replacement...

I have a list of small things for them to do while I am away on vacation including 15K service with:
a.) Oil Change + collect oil sample for Blackstone Labs testing
b.) Fill DEF
c.) Proactively change both fuel filters earlier than specified by maintenance schedule
d.) Rotate tires
e.) New York State Inspection (expires tomorrow)
f.) Install my new Titan XXL 40 gal replacement tank
g.) Reinstall one of my Gatorback mud-flaps (that nearly fell off during my last trip to DC) with new mounting hardware​
@Meisterics - at this stage in my life, I have the luxury to be able to afford for my dealer to perform the tank install. Without a lift and with no one to assist/help me, it is worth whatever shop rate my dealer charges to ensure I don't have any issues or void my warranty. My tank will be installed by their best diesel mechanic who I trust, so I know that the tank install will be done correctly.

Reactions: justlucky
#25 ·
I am really interested in installing this tank, but I do have concerns about , void in my warranty, I also will only consider the local ford dealer to do the install. how much time did it take the dealer to install for you. I have two homes 700 miles apart and I would love to travel with out stopping for fuel.

#26 ·
Just talked to my Service Manager and my 40 gal XXL tank is in! Took $132 to fill it to-the-top at the gas station to check for any leaks. Everything I had planned is complete with the exception on taking the oil sample and programming to new tank size via FORScan. I figure I'd give them a shot at the latter, but they were a bit apprehensive, so I told them I'd take care of the FORScan change.
@Avetisov22 - here is the link to the Install Instructions PDF on their website: 7021518 For 2018+ FORD truck model F-150: Crew Cab, Short- Bed (5 ½ ft.)
@justlucky - once I get back home and pick up my truck from the dealer, I will let you know how many shop hours it took for the install. I didn't explicitly ask about warranty, but I do know my dealership has done a few Titan tank installs previous to mine on SuperDutys. With the fact that you can change the tank size via FORScan for the DTE calculations, Ford knows that customers are doing this. I let my dealer do all of my after-market mods, as they won't be able to claim faulty installation.

#29 ·
I've heard no complaints, says he loves it.

#33 ·
I need you guys to help me out, I went to the ford dealer about installing the 40 gal. tank, I received a install price of $450, and was told they may or may not be able to recalibrate it . I don't want to be putting out all these $ for a tank, to get 14 more gal. of fuel , and it not to work right. what is your view on this. is the dealer just covering his behind? the service manager told me they have put many of these tanks from titan on the F250 and 350 trucks
OK, back home and picked up my truck yesterday: $435 for the Titan XXL 40 gal tank install w/o FORScan programming
  • My dealership's truck/diesel shop rate is $145/hour
  • I'm not complaining about what I was charged because I got a bunch of other little things done that I wasn't officially charged for
  • If members think this is too much, you certainly have the option to tackle the project on your own...

FORScan programming changes took about 15 minutes because I needed to update my FORScan software version and track down my Install Key for the Extended license.
The actual FORScan programming changes was literally less than 60 seconds once I had everything connected up...

@justlucky - if you'll be anywhere in the Northeast after your tank install, I'd be happy to make the FORScan update free-of-charge -- just be aware that the analog fuel gauge is still accurate (independent of tank size) but the computer-calculated DTE (Distance-To-Empty) is what needs the change in FORScan for the tank size.

My initial DTE popped up as 667 miles, which I know is not right, because even at 20 MPG, it should be over 800 miles on a full tank, so I am going to write this one off error due to making the FORScan change after the tank install/fill = my bad as I didn't have the time to change it before leaving on vacation. I'm assuming that DTE will dial-in correctly on my next tank fill and I will report in on this thread...

If anyone is interested, I can try to snap some pics once things dry out up here.

If anyone has any additional questions, fire away on this thread...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.