Titan fuel tank on 5.5 short box powerstroke - Page 4 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:59 PM

Garage
I need you guys to help me out, I went to the ford dealer about installing the 40 gal. tank, I received a install price of $450, and was told they may or may not be able to recalibrate it . I don't want to be putting out all these $ for a tank, to get 14 more gal. of fuel , and it not to work right. what is your view on this. is the dealer just covering his behind? the service manager told me they have put many of these tanks from titan on the f250 and 350 trucks
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:15 PM

@Meisterics said earlier in this thread that it is a 1-2 hour DIY job:

Quote:
I encourage everyone to do the install yourself. Pretty straight forward. With a lift it’s about a 60-90 min install.
So your dealer has a shop rate of $225 an hour? Kind of steep. The forscan change takes maybe 15 minutes.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetisov22 View Post
How much did the dealer charge for installation??
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlucky View Post
I need you guys to help me out, I went to the ford dealer about installing the 40 gal. tank, I received a install price of $450, and was told they may or may not be able to recalibrate it . I don't want to be putting out all these $ for a tank, to get 14 more gal. of fuel , and it not to work right. what is your view on this. is the dealer just covering his behind? the service manager told me they have put many of these tanks from titan on the F250 and 350 trucks
OK, back home and picked up my truck yesterday: $435 for the Titan XXL 40 gal tank install w/o FORScan programming
- My dealership's truck/diesel shop rate is $145/hour
- I'm not complaining about what I was charged because I got a bunch of other little things done that I wasn't officially charged for
- If members think this is too much, you certainly have the option to tackle the project on your own...

FORScan programming changes took about 15 minutes because I needed to update my FORScan software version and track down my Install Key for the Extended license.
The actual FORScan programming changes was literally less than 60 seconds once I had everything connected up...

@justlucky - if you'll be anywhere in the Northeast after your tank install, I'd be happy to make the FORScan update free-of-charge -- just be aware that the fuel gauge is still accurate (independent of tank size) but the computer-calculated DTE (Distance-To-Empty) is what needs the change in FORSscan for the tank size.

My initial DTE popped up as 667 miles, which I know is not right, because even at 20 MPG, it should be over 800 miles on a full tank, so I am going to write this one off error due to making the FORScan change after the tank install/fill = my bad as I didn't have the time to change it before leaving on vacation. I'm assuming that DTE will dial-in correctly on my next tank fill and I will report in on this thread...

If anyone is interested, I can try to snap some pics once things dry out up here.

If anyone has any additional questions, fire away on this thread...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 10-09-2019 at 04:30 PM.

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Garage
well thanks for all the information, I did order a tank, and I am having it deliver to the local diesel shop, my install will be $250 but he can not do the forscan.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

@justlucky - check your PMs = I'll show you how to make the FORScan change for you when you are up in my neck of the woods...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Just to close-the-loop on this thread, the FORScan instructions for changing fuel tank size are documented here: Using FORScan for programming

post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

It's been about a week since my tank install and I made the FORScan change for the tank size, which I knew would confuse the computer.

My DTE has been oscillating between 650-705 miles with the tank gauge always showing 100% full until yesterday where I saw it settled in around 650 miles and I now see the gauge < 100% full and decreasing, so I "think" I have hit the point where I am around 26 gallons (size of standard tank) in the new 40 gallon tank = this kinda makes sense since the tank size in FORScan was still 26 gallons when the dealer filled up the tank after the install but before I made the tank size change in FORScan.

I'll keep an eye on things when the gauge starts to get closer to 0% but I think things are settled in for this "transition" fill and I should see a correct DTE on my next fill.

@justlucky - not sure what behavior you will see changing you tank size on this fill before your tank replacement, but just be forewarned that your DTE may be wrong so use the gauge until you get your tank replaced.

Last edited by jmperlik; 10-15-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:44 PM

Received my Titan tank Thursday and did install today on 2018 F150 3.0 5.5’ bed. Install took me 1:15 at home and craftsman tools. Race car shop is about 20 mins away with lift and snapon tools but wasn’t needed. Pretty simple DIY project.

Ran into town on way to deer blind to fill up and had to fill tank slow or it would click off and spit out. I will check tomorrow but hoping it’s something simple like twisted vent hose. Everything seems right.

I’d be interested in more info on forscan...I have several mods I want to do besides fixing tank size but not sure where to start. Local dealerships act like its some huge issue.

Thanks!!
justlucky likes this.

2018 F-150 Platinum
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:23 AM

Garage
go to this link for directions on forscan,
https://www.dieself150forum.com/foru...education.html
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Buddy still says Tank is great, Forscan mod worked perfectly also!
justlucky likes this.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page