Titan fuel tank on 5.5 short box powerstroke - Page 5 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I have been away for a while but it looks like you guys have figured it all out haha. Time to order parts now.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Finally worked my way down to "0 miles" on this transition tank on Friday and had to fill up yesterday.

Given that the 40 gallon fill is going to be significantly more than the 26 gallon fill in the standard factory tank and that I have to deal with most gas stations $100 automatic shut-off on credit card purchases, I decided to look for the best price for fuel in lieu of my closest Mobil station. Kinda baffled by the wide spread in diesel fuel price is my area -- from a low of $2.87/gal to a high of $3.59/gal according to GasBuddy, but given this info, I found a Valero station not too far out of my way that had diesel for $2.89/gal for cash or credit.

Before I pumped any fuel, I added an 8 oz. bottle of both Stanadyne Performance Formula (covers 25 gallons) and Stanadyne Lubricity Formula (covers 15 gallons) At the $2.89/gal price for diesel, I managed to get just under 34.5 gallons before I hit the automatic shut-off limit, so didn't fill the 40 gallon tank quite 100% full but pretty close, which resulted in 894 DTE miles (screen capture below) on the IPC. If I started the pump again or could find a better price for diesel, I should be able to get over 900 miles for DTE with the Titan XXL 40 gallon replacement tank for F150s w/5.5' bed. With these ranges, I am under the 999 max mile limit that @kdjasper mentioned earlier in this thread.

I had some unexpected highway mileage due to having to travel home for a funeral this past Monday, so I think without any unexpected trips, I should be close to a fill-up once/month = pretty cool in my book! Although the diesel fuel economy is ~20-25% better than my 2015 F150 Platinum 5.0L V8, it sure feels like I visit the gas station a lot less now with the 2018 F150 PS 3.0L V6 Diesel, and I am spending a lot less at the pump. At once/month fill-ups, my case of 24 bottles Stanadyne Performance Formula and case of 24 bottles of Stanadyne Lubricity Formula should last ~2 years.

If anyone has any questions with either of the Titan tank replacement options, @justlucky and I have recently installed the 40 gallon tank for the 5.5' bed and @kdjasper installed his 48 gallon tank on his KingRanch w/6.5' bed about 6 months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForF150PSDiesel40galDTE894miles.jpg (88.4 KB, 13 views)
kdjasper likes this.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 10-27-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

One thing I have noticed with my 48-gallon Titan replacement tank is that it takes a long time for the fuel gauge to move off of Full, and it also drops fairly quickly when under 1/4 tank. I would be curious if those with the 40-gallon Titan have a similar experience. What I am saying is that it will not match your steady declining fuel gauge experience as you had with the OEM tank.

I have found that if I re-fuel around the 1/4 tank mark that I can fill up at ~$3/gallon and not hit the $125 credit card pump limit. I also read somewhere a while back that it is a best practice/habit to re-fuel diesels at the 1/4 tank remaining mark. There have been multiple times now where I have hit the $125 limit, hung the pump back up, started a new transaction, only to get less than 2 additional gallons in the tank.

I can say that I do absolutely love the DTE range with the Titan.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:54 AM

Garage
So far I am happy with the new tank. I cannot wait till I amon the road to Pennsylvania, a 715 mile trip, and I will not have to ride offthe interstate to fuel up the entire way. I also like not having to pull intothe service station every week around home to fuel up. I filled up last week and I had a 912 DTE after fueling , the next day I did someforscan work and DTE went down to 640 miles. I was out playing golf and when I gotinto truck to return home, the gage, it went to 760 DTE, and I only drove maybe 40to 60 miles since fueling up. I currently have 733 DTE on the F150 now. I think maybe my forscanupdate, which was done after I fueled up, could have affected my DTE numbers. Oncethe fuel gage gets off the full mark, I am going to fill up again and see if I canget back to the 900 mark and hopefully watch it go down slower and steady without thisrandom gage reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel (2).jpg (117.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by justlucky; 10-31-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: add picture
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjasper View Post
One thing I have noticed with my 48-gallon Titan replacement tank is that it takes a long time for the fuel gauge to move off of Full, and it also drops fairly quickly when under 1/4 tank. I would be curious if those with the 40-gallon Titan have a similar experience. What I am saying is that it will not match your steady declining fuel gauge experience as you had with the OEM tank.
With the 40 gallon XXL tank, it takes a little while to drop off full = from 894 miles to 800 miles, the gauge read around 15/16 with it not seeming to budge over the first 50-60 miles, but I think it just moves so little that it looks 100% Full. From 800 miles to 700 miles, I am a little below 7/8 full, so the % full is not tracking true, but as long as DTE is close and it zeroes in towards empty, this behavior doesn't bother me.

I think some of this is due to the shape of the larger XXL tank and how it stretches up-and-over the cross-member, so the bulk of the capacity/volume is in the upper 3/4 of the tank. Does this make sense? Maybe this effect is more pronounced with your larger 48 gallon XXL tank with the 6.5' bed.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 11-03-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:08 PM

My 48 gallon tank does the same. It takes forever to get off of “F”. I still have to do the Forscan mod.
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 AM

I am loving my 40 gallon tank. I have run the DTE down below 20 last 2 fill ups and still can only get 31-32 gallons in the tank. I bought this because I get fuel points discount up to 35 gallons, I still feel like I am wasting some savings only getting 31 of my 35 gallons at $1 off.

2018 F-150 Platinum
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
I just filled the tank ready for my trip. looking fwd to great miles per gal. I will post when I do the 715 miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel 11-21 3.jpg (244.7 KB, 10 views)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page