Diesel F150 Forum banner

Mold Issue

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Ulma 
#1 ·
Hi all,
A month or so ago I came across a FB group with several folk mentioning they had found mold under the passenger side floor mat. For both the 2018 and 2019 power strokes. Unfortunately, I checked mine yesterday and have lots of mold growing out of the carpet. From the floor up to the fire wall. Also lots of condensation on the bottom side of my weather tech floor mat. From what I've read it appears to be some issue with the air conditioner drain line. Mine goes in the shop this morning.

#3 ·
I have a 2018 F150 PS Platinum w/WeatherTech front mats.

I checked this morning and I did not find any indication of any mold; however, they did detail my truck when it was at the dealer for my Titan XXL 40 gallon tank install during the first week of October....

#4 ·
Update - The drain hose for the air conditioner is too short. The dealership said they had this same issue back in 2008. Also didn't sound like it was limited to the PS, in fact there was a 2018 xlt eco boost at the dealership for the same issue. The parts are not available for the repair. For the time being they "jimmy rigged" another hose onto it to make sure all condensation makes it out of the cab. They have new carpet and padding coming and hope to replace it next week. Sounded like the passenger seat and center console need to come out to replace that section of carpet and pad.

#5 ·
@jevalek77 - thanks for posting back with the update!

Question for you: Is your front passenger seat used a lot? With my daughter away at college, my front passenger seat rarely gets used these days.

I am wondering if a passenger getting in/out of that side of the truck puts pressure on the carpet and is pulling the too-short hose off the connector causing the leak.

Passenger-side usage is the only thing I could think of that might explain why I haven't experienced this issue yet....

Reactions: justlucky
#6 ·
@jevalek77 - thanks for posting back with the update!

Question for you: Is your front passenger seat used a lot? With my daughter away at college, my front passenger seat rarely gets used these days.

I am wondering if a passenger getting in/out of that side of the truck puts pressure on the carpet and is pulling the too-short hose off the connector causing the leak.

Passenger-side usage is the only thing I could think of that might explain why I haven't experienced this issue yet....
My passenger seat is used rather frequently. They did mention at the dealership that it probably only leaks back into the cab when at HWY speeds or greater. Also might be worth mentioning I just hit 16,000 miles.

#7 ·
The mold grew naturally due to the moisture not being able to evaporate and the spores are already there from out side to make it grow..The issue you can have is when they start removing the carpet, they will disturb it and the spore that caused the mold will get air bourn and you need to get them out, either with a air scrubber or air exchanges. Mold growing on that side is where the return is, make sure it is cleaned out not just fogged..
Been in the mold biz almost 20 years and it's not the mold you see but the air you breath and can't see that causes issues.
Good luck on the repair, time to check mine out..Jerry

#11 ·
The mold grew naturally due to the moisture not being able to evaporate and the spores are already there from out side to make it grow..The issue you can have is when they start removing the carpet, they will disturb it and the spore that caused the mold will get air bourn and you need to get them out, either with a air scrubber or air exchanges. Mold growing on that side is where the return is, make sure it is cleaned out not just fogged..
Been in the mold biz almost 20 years and it's not the mold you see but the air you breath and can't see that causes issues.
Good luck on the repair, time to check mine out..Jerry
[/QUOTE

#8 ·
Update... My truck went in Tuesday morning. The dealer said it would be a 4 hour job. I called them after 8 hours and was told it ended up being a lot bigger job than expected. All seats and center console had to be removed. The service guy called me at the end of day 2 and said the truck pretty much done but they broke some shifter linkage clips in the process. Unfortunately the dealership is in the process of an ownership transfer and cant order parts from ford at this time. Hoping they can get the parts from another dealership.

#10 ·
Wet passenger side carpet

Hi everyone I have a 2019 platinum just want to tell everyone to check your passenger side carpet if its wet take it to ford it is your evaporator box leaking mine was the seal on the box but could also be the drain tube they have a fix for that tube . ford tried the tube fix first but that did not work and then they found the gasket seal was bad ford was very good and took care of me and my truck things happen I am very happy with there service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.