Anyone Plan on Offroading? - Page 3 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:22 PM

I'd like to see an off road mode, nothing extreme like baja, but more for weekend traversing over dirt roads to get to a campsite.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 AM

Garage
I ordered my diesel so that I can tow my off road Jeeps to and from the trails. A 60K truck is too nice to beat up off road. At least for a while.
BluePill and jcav55 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 PM

I plan to a little bit as I'll be doing some work on raw land. I'm going to have the dealer install the level lift and I actually want to put the raptor wheels/tires on mine if I can get a deal on a takeoff set locally. I need the tow capacity and mpg of the diesel so the raptor doesn't really fit my needs. They are awesome though, I drove one just the other day.

Last edited by RANDOMQUICKNESS; 02-23-2018 at 01:37 PM.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I ordered my diesel so that I can tow my off road Jeeps to and from the trails. A 60K truck is too nice to beat up off road. At least for a while.
Some guys i know just stay very careful when on the trails, doing what the car maker would do on off-road test of their own.
Aside from that they just get paint protection film and call it a day.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:03 PM

There are many basic roads that require high clearance/4wd such as forest service/ BLM roads which I'll be utilizing my truck on towing a lightweight A liner camper with the off road package. But rock crawling? No way. That's what an old Wrangler fitted with amor plate is for.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
Aside from that they just get paint protection film and call it a day.
One of my fishing trips to NW Ontario involves off-road driving on old logging roads to get to boats cached on remote lakes. The trails are pretty narrow in places, and I had had my side mirrors force folded in by branches and my tall factory antenna snapped off by a tree branch--these happened with my 2010 F150.

So with my 2018 F150 3.0 I will be replacing the tall antenna with a shorty, and will be wrapping the sides of the truck with paint protection film before I take it down those trails in Canada this summer.

Some of those trails get pretty rough also, so the factory P tires may be swapped out for LT's before that trip this summer. Learned my lesson the hard way on that in August 2011 when I blew 2 factory OEM tires in one day (one at 6am and one after fishing at 3pm) on those trails with only 1 spare. We were about 7 miles off-road when that happened, and lucky for me a bear hunter drove by and saved the day. He had compassion as the same thing happened to him in the past, and then he went to LT Duratrac tires and never had a problem since, so when I got back after that trip I went with LT Duratrac's and never looked back.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations with paint protection film? I need it for that Canada trip. It got to the point with the 2010 that I just laughed when branches brushed the sides of the truck as I drove fairly fast down those trails, and when I got home the paint and trim on the sides of the truck were all scratched up. I need to try to protect the new truck at least for the next 2-3 summers.

Thanks

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Mine will see duty down farm service roads sometimes, nothing to extreme but it will see fields and gravel.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page