Bilstein B8 6112 & 5160 - Page 3 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:17 PM

Thoughts now on the 6112/5160 set up after 6 months?
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have been doing a lot of thinking on this lately actually... I may switch up my setup.. when you talk shocks you really need to understand the difference between the three main valving schemes and which one fits with your needs/wants.

Digressive - small bumps are firm, large bumps at speed feel comparatively softer.. what this means is driving down the road you feel all the pavement inconstancies and bumps quite a lot. Aluminum bodied vehicles tend to amplify this too. The result is a tight/firm but rattly feel. ( great for high speed pre-runner type driving, also provides a nice tight highway feel, not so much for daily city driving.

Linear - just like it sounds, shocks react in a linear manner as a function of force and compression length

Progressive - Factory shocks are progressive, small bumps and pavement imperfections are soaked up by the shock removing vibration and "rattle" but the tradeoff is a squishy feel. not the best for load control during towing.

AFAIK all Bilstein shocks are all digressive.

I do a lot of city driving, I have learned I prefer Progressive and as such I am planning on replacing them. my search is on for a premium quality progressive lift setup. I get my bonus next week and may look at swapping out.

looking at the chart above, most DD bumps happen in and around 2 in/sec. If we use this value you can see the vast difference in force required to compress the shock.. and since every action has an equal and opposite reaction and this force if not absorbed by the shock is transmitted into the vehicle chassis..

@ 2 in/sec

Digressive = ~475 lbs
Linear = ~125 lbs
Progressive = ~ ~50-75 lbs

hope this helps everyone pick the the system which best meets their needs..

2018 F150 Lariat Sport - Oxford White, every available option.

Last edited by Jgleadle; 02-15-2020 at 12:28 PM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 12:36 PM

Thanks, helpful input. Ideally linear would be my choice, I have found that on the air suspension set ups I have had (Q7, Macan Turbo, X5M) they get close to it, plus of course the ability to adjust to sport, sport plus etc. But similarly I dont want something too harsh, I had a deal lined up up for a new raptor before I bought the PS but walked away from it after test driving because it was just too rough and noisy for me and to be hone1st the road performance/handling was not any better than my Bilstein suspended Lariat.
Haven't seen too many decent options for teh F150. They almost all seem to be focused on off-road performance rather than fast road. So realistically for me probably down to a choice of Fox or Bilstein 6112. (I was disappointed with the service life of the 5100s on teh front) King might be nice but more than I want to spend. Still have a bit of concern that 6112s and the Fox coilovers may be a little undersprung for the extra weight of the PS. Did you notice any issue with that? i wonder if the standard springs would fit on the 6112s.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
standard springs won't fit the 6112's but you won't need them anyways since they come complete with springs as a kit.. only way to order them since the shock body is quite bit larger.

The 3.0PS is nearly the same weight as the 3.5EB and 5.0V8 ~ 50lbs difference, so that didn't turn out to be a concern at all

might want to look into Fox reliability a bit more, not sure where you live but here in AB with all the salt we get any aluminum body coil over.. or any coil over for that matter will get torn up during the winter time.

I think I am going to go with Koni STR.T LT (Progressive low pressure twin tube) and look for a progressive wound spring to replace the factory one. maybe 1" lift coil w. factory rear blocks in place or factory front spring w. rear blocks removed completely.. I am also going from the factory 20" wheel/tire combo to 17" 2018 Raptor's takeoffs with a C load tire in 285/75R17

hope all this will give me the ride I am looking for, if body roll is an issue with the progressive shocks I will add better roll bars.
ScotsSkier likes this.

2018 F150 Lariat Sport - Oxford White, every available option.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 08:06 PM

Garage
Do the Gatorback mud flaps keep the mud off your running boards

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page