What Do You Haul? - Page 3 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 AM

dennycrane, I'll keep you posted on the forum here. The shakedown cruise trip back home is going through Glacier National Park so I'll see how it tackles those hills. I've driven over a lot of the mountains out west so I know what to expect. We are minimalist campers and don't intend on hauling half the house with us so we should be able to keep our weights well below gross on both truck and trailer.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 AM

I have a 13'x7' tandem enclosed trailer. I have recently moved and used this trailer pretty extensively. It's capacity is 9500 lbs and I figure I've had it somewhere between 7000 & 8000 lbs. I have about 3000mi according to my trailer info on the dashboard.

What I have learned:

1. Tow like the rig it is! I always use tow haul mode but also take it out of auto and drive it like a transport truck in manual mode. Let your turbo shine! It will crank if you tell it to. I have noticed that the transmission still likes to drive as if it was unloaded. It is better in cruse control but, best when you do it yourself. You will save fuel as well.

2. Let your truck idle. Do not come off the highway and shut your truck off right away. You will scorch your turbo and have problems. It needs time to cool. In tow haul mode the auto shut off is disabled, but in my opinion auto shut off has no business being on any engine with a turbo in it.

3. Consider an airbag support kit or load distribution hitch. Not only will the truck ride better with weight, the pitch angle of the lights will be corrected. On dark roads many people were flashing their lights at me thinking I had my high beams on. I even had one idiot road rage and slam his brake on in front of me because he thought I was high beaming his mirrors.

... Just my thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12045101224393196633_1557497123445.jpg (129.7 KB, 10 views)
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:38 PM

AzoTus,

Thank you; great post. Would you mind describing your driving style/highway speeds, the terrain and what you saw as a an average mileage? Was this a couple of cross-country trips? That's one heavy 13 foot trailer!

Thanks again-

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Today, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshew View Post
AzoTus,

Thank you; great post. Would you mind describing your driving style/highway speeds, the terrain and what you saw as a an average mileage? Was this a couple of cross-country trips? That's one heavy 13 foot trailer!

Thanks again-

Hi. I The trip is from southern Ontario to North Eastern Ontario. Roughly about 800km. The distance cover many different types of terrain terrains, but if I would have to describe it I would say mostly rolling hills. No mountain passes but but there are some long hill climbs in there. I did this trip about five times loaded trailer in one direction and empty in the other. Oddly enough gas mileage was the same in both directions. And repeated on successive trips.
Typically traveling on two-lane highways the speed was about 108 km but on the bigger highways about 120 km. Mileage was 15L/100km and 16L/100km respectively.

PS. There was also a snowmobile in that trailer lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190103_183807_1558030891725.jpg (120.9 KB, 8 views)
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Today, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzoTus View Post
I have a 13'x7' tandem enclosed trailer. I have recently moved and used this trailer pretty extensively. It's capacity is 9500 lbs and I figure I've had it somewhere between 7000 & 8000 lbs. I have about 3000mi according to my trailer info on the dashboard.

What I have learned:

1. Tow like the rig it is! I always use tow haul mode but also take it out of auto and drive it like a transport truck in manual mode. Let your turbo shine! It will crank if you tell it to. I have noticed that the transmission still likes to drive as if it was unloaded. It is better in cruse control but, best when you do it yourself. You will save fuel as well.

2. Let your truck idle. Do not come off the highway and shut your truck off right away. You will scorch your turbo and have problems. It needs time to cool. In tow haul mode the auto shut off is disabled, but in my opinion auto shut off has no business being on any engine with a turbo in it.

3. Consider an airbag support kit or load distribution hitch. Not only will the truck ride better with weight, the pitch angle of the lights will be corrected. On dark roads many people were flashing their lights at me thinking I had my high beams on. I even had one idiot road rage and slam his brake on in front of me because he thought I was high beaming his mirrors.

... Just my thoughts

AirLift was the first add I did to my truck. Very happy with it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page