First tow tomorrow - Ford F150 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

First tow tomorrow

I'm going up to AL to pick up a '65 F100 tomorrow and tow it back. 7X18 flatbed trailer. Excited to see how this truck tows. I like the BLIS works with the trailer and the brake controls seem seamless. No idea what mileage to expect, but I think my old 5.4 would've gotten about 11 with the empty trailer and probably 8 with it loaded...
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 04:33 PM

If you enabled the DPF % full display with forscan watch it. That is enough load that you will hit 0% full by the end of the run. Have a great trip.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Well I got back earlier and I am even happier with this truck than I already was. According to the computer I was getting about 20 mpg with the 1700lb trailer and doing a full regen. On the way home it was 15 mpg through the hills and 16 once I got back to flat land. This is the computer calculated so might've been .5 lower than that. I estimate the F100 weighed 3800-4000 on top of the trailer weight.
The power and driveability was great. There was a couple of downshifts back to first when accelerating from a stop which was weird but other than that the transmission never warmed higher than water temp and was always in the right gear.
Considering I switched from a 5.4L truck that only got 15 mpg highway unloaded I'm amazed with this thing. Even with a loaded trailer it can put you back in your seat if you punch it.
Oh and the trailer brake controller integrated into the truck works awesome. Glad I added one.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdbronco View Post
Well I got back earlier and I am even happier with this truck than I already was. According to the computer I was getting about 20 mpg with the 1700lb trailer and doing a full regen. On the way home it was 15 mpg through the hills and 16 once I got back to flat land. This is the computer calculated so might've been .5 lower than that. I estimate the F100 weighed 3800-4000 on top of the trailer weight.
The power and driveability was great. There was a couple of downshifts back to first when accelerating from a stop which was weird but other than that the transmission never warmed higher than water temp and was always in the right gear.
Considering I switched from a 5.4L truck that only got 15 mpg highway unloaded I'm amazed with this thing. Even with a loaded trailer it can put you back in your seat if you punch it.
Oh and the trailer brake controller integrated into the truck works awesome. Glad I added one.
I have had the same experience pulling an 18'+5' vee trailer to Canada from Jersey many times. 4500 lbs, this things pulls it easily and without the drama of a gasser v8 with downshifts. I dont need a heavier F250 or 350 and the diesel 150 is perfect for me. If I was pulling more weight regularly, I would want a bigger truck but with seasonal towing and daily driver duties, the f150 diesel is excellent.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page