Diesel Fuel additive recommendations - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Diesel Fuel additive recommendations

Hey guys - spoke with my dealership's Service Manager today regarding what I should be doing fuel-wise my new F150 Diesel Platinum.

He strongly recommended using a diesel fuel additive year-round for the following benefits:
1.) Better fuel efficiency (Cetane Boost)
2.) Water/moisture removal
3.) Fuel stabilizer
4.) Anti-corrosion
5.) Anti-gelling for winter months
6.) Lubricity

Looking for recommendations from anyone who has previously owned a diesel vehicle for what they recommend.

Quick Internet search looks like Stanadyne Performance Formula covers all of the bases but looking for some recommendations from the experts...

Last edited by jmperlik; 09-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:03 PM

The owners manual says do not use any additives. I’ll ask my service manager next time I see him. I plan on not using any.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Stanadyne Performance Formula

I ordered up four (4) 8 oz. bottles of Stanadyne Performance Formula to try out and then run year-round. Part #38564 is an eight (8) ounce bottle which handles 30 gallons => don't want to deal with funnels and large jugs while filling up and couple reviewers commented that 16 oz bottles leak (Part #38565 in brochure link above) if you don't use all of it. If your order more bottles price drops from $10/bottle (for 4) to $5/bottle (for 24) -- I think this is a cheap insurance policy per tank to protect you engine...

Nothing magical in this 3.0L that will prevent/protect against a bad batch of diesel...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

As pointed out by Knifeman, here is what is stated in the Owners Manual on this topic...

"Diesel Fuel Additives

It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket additives to your fuel if you use a high quality diesel fuel that conforms to ASTM industry specifications. Aftermarket additives can damage the fuel injector system or engine.

Use Motorcraft® cetane booster or an equivalent cetane booster additive if you suspect fuel has low cetane. Use Motorcraft® anti-gel & performance improver or an equivalent additive if there is fuel gelling.

Do not use alcohol-based additives to improve cetane quality, to prevent fuel gelling or any other use. The use of alcohol additives may result in damage to the fuel injectors and system. See Engine Specifications.

Your warranty may not cover repairs needed to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product that does not meet Ford specifications in your fuel."

An alternative to additives could be filling up with Diesel Premium instead of standard Diesel. A buddy of mine who sells fuel recommends this. The cost of Diesel Premium over standard for a full tank would be less than $5 bottle of additive (where I was today, Diesel Premium was only 10 cents/gallon more)--of course, not all stations carry Diesel Premium, so in those cases the $5 bottle additive may come in handy if you wanted to ensure every tank had the "additives".

Last edited by kdjasper; 11-26-2018 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Added content to the last paragraph
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

It seems that I found the only fuel station selling Premium Diesel a couple hours away from home, and I so far haven't found any in the suburbs near St. Paul, MN. Having said that, we do get some very cold temps up here--usually the worst of it is mid-January. I talked to a guy I work with that drives a Chevy 2500 HD diesel and he says he puts in the white Power Service with every fill up during the winter months --> https://powerservice.com/psp_product...-cetane-boost/

At the Holiday Stations up here they advertise their fuel as winter diesel, and even have a chart on top of the pump showing every 2 weeks or so they up the anti-gel capabilities to provide more protection during the coldest periods. Holiday is the only station I have found that advertises how low the temp can get before fuel gelling would happen.

All that being said, I am changing my mind on the topic of additives, and do believe they have reasons to be considered and used.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 PM

You do not want a cetane booster but rather a BTU booster.
Mr. Filter
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM

When you see Premium Diesel you do not know what the formula is. It is not that simple. Everyone can add different by-products and call it premium fuel.
EMA came up with the standards to meet the engine requirements and the US government changed the standards. Look for the EMA Premium fuel article on the web.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 PM

I used Stanadyne religiously in my 6.0 and it was great. I have used it since day one in my 3.0... also great. 200ml treats 100 L (full tank). I buy it in bulk jugs, then transfer it to some smaller 250 ml Nalgene ptfe bottles, then toss those in the truck in a Ziploc bag so there's no issues with leaks (I usually fill them with 150 ml, then fill up at 1/4 tank). I buy the regular diesel, then add this, as that is usually cheaper than buying premium diesel. It's got the cetane booster, water demulsifier, and lubricity addititives; it's alcohol free, thus good to use in these trucks. With the winter diesel, I might add a splash of the lubricity formula to the mix to help preserve the fuel pump a little more. I might try some fuel ox next, but this seem so to cover all the bases well so you can't go wrong.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Filter View Post
You do not want a cetane booster but rather a BTU booster.
Mr. Filter
FYI it is impossible for any additive to change the BTU content of diesel. The energy content is the energy content, the only way to improve it would be to add significant quantities of something with a higher BTU content.. like fuel oil.. which I doubt you would want to do. Fuel additives are geared towards making the diesel burn more efficiently/completely, and dealing with things like water, contamination, lubricity, and corrosion. If any additive says that it will increase the BTU content of the fuel, put the bottle down as it's snake oil.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Filter View Post
When you see Premium Diesel you do not know what the formula is. It is not that simple. Everyone can add different by-products and call it premium fuel.
EMA came up with the standards to meet the engine requirements and the US government changed the standards. Look for the EMA Premium fuel article on the web.
Never heard of BTU booster or EMA premium fuel......

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page