3.0 lt Diesel no crank condition - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 3.0 lt Diesel no crank condition

I have a new 3.0 lt diesel with a no crank condition. Truck has about 2000 miles. The condition is as follows:
cool morning 50 - 55 degrees, high moisture content specifically in light drizzle or mist, only first thing in the morning, only first start in the morning. Once the truck is started, it starts fine all day.

Enter truck, foot on brake, start button - nothing. Screen ends up as if you shut the truck off with two choices for type of alarm. Usually takes two or three tries, eventually the truck starts.

No crank started last Monday. Occurred again on Wed. Dropped truck off on Friday to dealer, only to have tech say the truck starts fine.

Monday morning same thing. 55 degrees, misting no crank. Twice. removed foot and put back on brake pedal - now the truck does a very slow crank and stops. Foot off brake and back on again, start button, about a 1 second delay, truck starts normal.

I've told the dealer I'm not going to put up with this. Any ideas from the members of the forum?
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

garygem - Wow! All I can say is Wow! My 2018 F150 Diesel Platinum is only 10 days old and I just flipped 300 miles today. The weather conditions here in NY State have been similar (I have awoken to at least 5 mornings with similar conditions) to when you are encountering this "no crank" situation, but alas my F150 has been starting without any issues. (Knock-on-wood!)

I agree with you that this is an "unacceptable" situation for a brand new vehicle and needs to be remedied given the price you paid for one of these high-end models PLUS a $3000 engine upcharge (really more like $5000 due to incentives being yanked) for the luxury of a 3.0L V6 diesel that intermittently starts?!?

Maybe use the free Ford Roadside Assistance every time it happens to get their attention? Not really optimal, but your dealer's first attempt to resolve this was effectively a blow-off... They would be getting a visit every time this happened, but then again my dealer is less than a mile from work, so might not be an easy option for everyone.

Maybe check your state's Lemon Law?

Last edited by jmperlik; 10-02-2018 at 10:23 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGem View Post
I have a new 3.0 lt diesel with a no crank condition. Truck has about 2000 miles. The condition is as follows:
cool morning 50 - 55 degrees, high moisture content specifically in light drizzle or mist, only first thing in the morning, only first start in the morning. Once the truck is started, it starts fine all day.

Enter truck, foot on brake, start button - nothing. Screen ends up as if you shut the truck off with two choices for type of alarm. Usually takes two or three tries, eventually the truck starts.

No crank started last Monday. Occurred again on Wed. Dropped truck off on Friday to dealer, only to have tech say the truck starts fine.

Monday morning same thing. 55 degrees, misting no crank. Twice. removed foot and put back on brake pedal - now the truck does a very slow crank and stops. Foot off brake and back on again, start button, about a 1 second delay, truck starts normal.

I've told the dealer I'm not going to put up with this. Any ideas from the members of the forum?
Really disappointed to hear that you are already running into issues like this Gary, especially so early on in your ownership. It does sound like your problem is related to moisture, which to me suggests an issue at the fuel pump connection or maybe even something as simple as fuses.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTuff View Post
Really disappointed to hear that you are already running into issues like this Gary, especially so early on in your ownership. It does sound like your problem is related to moisture, which to me suggests an issue at the fuel pump connection or maybe even something as simple as spark plugs.
Spark plugs?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTuff View Post
Really disappointed to hear that you are already running into issues like this Gary, especially so early on in your ownership. It does sound like your problem is related to moisture, which to me suggests an issue at the fuel pump connection or maybe even something as simple as spark plugs.
Spark plugs?
Can't tell if serious.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

No crank. Spark plugs in a diesel?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Is Ford monitoring this Forum?

Dealer wants to wait until weather conditions are similar again which means a week before I take it in. If they can't get the no CRANK issue to repeat, what will they do?

Dealer wants to be able to experience the issue. Intermittent no CRANK, first thing in the morning. That's it. So let;s see, tech gets in truck, it does not crank the first time - hopefully and then cranks and starts normally - Who you going to call? WTF
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Like your suggestion of fuses - I'll be pulling and reinserting them tonight
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Gary - this definitely seems electrical related caused by moisture in the air. With a vehicle this new, I would be very surprised at culprits like corroded battery terminals/cables or something along those lines. If there is nothing "at all" when you hit the starter, another thing could be safety interlocks, with your foot on the brake pedal being the only one we as end users know about. Unknown variable could be the computer, as they seem to have taken over everything in the vehicle.

I guess I'm holding back on any sort of mechanical or electrical diagnosis, as we should not have to be worrying about issues like this with a brand new vehicle! This is the one of the points of buying a new vehicle: To AVOID intermittent starting issues an older vehicle might develop.

I would be talking to the Service Manager by now with the next step being the dealership's General Manager.
GaryGem likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGem View Post

We are having similar conditions in Seattle right now low 45-50 high and light rain. I am just shy of around 1700 miles and park outside.
So far I haven’t experienced anything like this yet but will keep an eye out if I see anything similar and keep you updated.
GaryGem likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page