Diesel F150 Forum banner

What oil are you guys using?

128K views 216 replies 41 participants last post by  Laytunes 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
NOTE: This first post is being edited in late 2022 to include the Ford Motor Company CK-4/FA-4 Ford Position Statement. Please be guided this as you choose the proper oil for the 3.0 diesel. Ford's statement is below:

Ford Motor Company CK-4/FA-4 Ford Position Statement
On December 1, 2016, the American Petroleum Institute (API) began licensing two new diesel
motor categories CK-4 and FA-4. API CK-4 was released to replace CJ-4. API FA-4 is a low
dynamic viscosity diesel oil released for diesel engines designed for the lower dynamic viscosity
oil.
API FA-4
Ford is now recommending FA-4 motor oil in its smaller diesel engines. FA-4 is recommended
for servicing the F-150 with the 3.0L diesel engine and the Transit with the 2.0L diesel engine.
Ford still recommends against using FA-4 oils in larger Ford diesel engines, like the 3.2L and
6.7L diesel engines, as well as older Ford diesel engines.
API CK-4
Ford continues to recommend motor oils meeting the Ford specification WSS-M2C171-F1
instead of CK-4 motor oils in the 3.2L and 6.7L Ford diesel engines as well as older Ford diesel
engines, 4.5L, 6.0L, 6.4L, and 7.3L. Testing completed on some CK-4 type formulations have
shown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed
before 2016. Therefore, Ford has included additional requirements beyond CK-4 in WSS-
M2C171-F1 to provide additional wear protection. Like many other diesel engine
manufacturers, with their own internal OEM specification, Ford is recommending oils that meet,
Ford Material Engineering Specification WSS-M2C171-F1. The customer should use an oil that
meets this specification. A list of motor oils meeting this specification are shown on the
Motorcraft website under the Motor Oil tab on http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/
To ensure you protect your Ford diesel engines use an oil meeting Ford specification
WSS-M2C171-F1 like Motorcraft Super Duty Motor oil or API FA-4 like Motorcraft F-150 Diesel
Motor Oil. Please consult your owner guide for the proper application.

What oil are you guys using?

I was thinking about using Rotella T6 5w40. According to manual should be OK.

#159 ·
The issue may have to do with how much Zinc is in the oil. The EPA wants the Zinc removed so your Cat lasts longer. Older engines like the pre 2019 Cummins required zinc in the oil to protect the flat tapper cam. Only exception that I know of is in the EMD diesels that use silver lined main bearings. The zinc will damage them. The oil with zinc should not hurt the 3 ltr engine but can damage the exhaust after treatment system.

#160 ·
Yup, ZDDP (zinc dialkyl dithiophosphates) is an anti-wear additive. It's the phosphorous component that can foul catalytic converters.. although this only seems to be an issue with gasoline cat's and not diesel ones (different catalysts). The maximum amount allowed under the gasoline SN certification is 800 PPM Phosphorous. Many CK-4 oils limited the additive to that amount in order to achieve the SN certification as well (and increase their market share). Ford however saw increased wear in their diesels with the new oils, and thus pushed their own standard with a minimum of 1000 ppm, and deemed it WSS-M2C171-F1. That is why if using a CK-4, you'll want to have that certification on it. The motorcraft FA-4 however is limited to 800 PPM from what I've seen in oil analyses which begs me to question if the WSS-M2C171-F1 has a point in these trucks, or if any CK-4 will do. Definitely a conflicting message from ford on that. Regardless since higher ZDDP won't hurt a diesel, a little extra in theory is better, so I will stick to oils with that spec. Also important to note is that less ZDDP can also be made up with other additives, like molybdenum and boron, however from what i've seen this also seems to be lacking in the motorcraft FA-4 oil.

#161 ·
Rotella T6 5W40, recommended for Dodge EcoDiesel too. I use it, 5W40 is suggested in the Owner's Manual for severe service such as towing and extreme climate. My boiling hot desert climate qualifies. Shell has a video that addresses Ford's demands, no brainer. Use what you feel comfortable with and for me it is T6.

#162 ·
Hey just an FYI, I was poking through the 2021 owners manual, and ford has finally identified that the WSS-M2C171-F1 spec is to be used for severe duty service in the official manual. So any debate around that can now be put to bed. It doesn't specifically say 0W30 or 5w30 CK-4, but I would assume as long as it meets the above spec it's also good to use since a 30 wt is the standard viscosity.

#170 ·
Ok, I know this thread seemed to reach final conclusion on oil, but just to add a little more to consider.....
My Amsoil brochure came this week and they are highlighting a new oil for small diesel engines. Specifically the 5W30 meets the Ford WSS-M2C214-B1. THE HTHS IS 3.52 and ash content of 0.80.

#163 ·
Reactions: mascrappo
#167 · (Edited)
Heads-up: Shell is offering rebates through the end of the year on Rotella T6 5W-40 CK-4 synthetic diesel oil when purchased at farm-related stores. $40 rebate on a 5 gal pail, $20 rebate on 2.5 gallon jug. Details can be found here: www.rotella.com/farm . When I filled out an online rebate form last night, I could search for valid purchase locations - but that functionality is not working as I type this.
The Fleet Farm stores current advertisement has 5 gallon jugs of Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic for $80 for this week. After taxes and rebate, that's ~ $45 for 5 gallons of synthetic oil for our diesels.

#168 · (Edited)
We have a Tractor Supply. I will check it out. Good info!

ETA I think their location app is wonky, couldn't find a single place in FL that participates. Saw this at Bob Is The Oil Guy:
Rural King and Orschelns seem to be participating in a few places. These jugs are averaging around $50-$52 a jug, so with the rebate it takes it down to around $30 which is around $12 a gallon.

#176 ·
Hopefully they at least put the right 5W30 in? Classic jiffy lube, let that be a lesson to you haha. It's pretty easy to do yourself if you don't mind losing an hour of your life and crawling on the ground, but if not take it to ford, and request the specific oil. If they are a good shop they'll get whatever kind of oil you want.

#181 · (Edited)
IF considering 5W-40 CK-4 oil for the diesel meeting Fords WSS-M2C171-F1 spec, this page has a list of oil approved for Ford diesel use: https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/...iesel_Motor_Oils_Meeting_Ford_WSSM2c171F1.pdf
5W-40 CK-4 diesel oil is recommended by Ford in the owners manual for heavy duty use and for bio-diesel fuel use. My understanding is the Ford spec WSS-M2C171-F1 is the appropriate Ford spec for CK-4 oil. I use Rotella T-6 5W-40.

Edited to add: Laytunes post #162 of this thread has definitive info as to Ford recommended viscosities and specs.

#184 ·
Maybe this has been mentioned before, but since I’m a newbie, I’ll say it again:

You can always play it safe and use the Motorcraft brand oil for Ford Diesel engines. Walmart and other discounters sell it. Says right on the label, “More than 1000 ppm phosphorus. Not for use in catalyst equipped vehicles.” It lists Ford SpecWSS-M2C171-F1.

#186 ·
#191 ·
Geez, so now we have shortages of diesel motor oil?? What’s next? Maybe I shouldn’t say that out loud…

I’d just keep running the oil that’s in it until I scored some more diesel motor oil. The oil life calculator gizmo must necessarily be very conservative in order to save Ford from having to warranty engine damage. So there’s still a lot of life in the oil, especially if it’s synthetic.

#192 ·
What's next? There is a worldwide shortage of DEF. Apparently, China produces the vast majority of the world's DEF, and they have apparently halted exports. It has hit South Korea and Australia hard, but I'm holding on to more DEF than I normally keep on hand because I see it possibly hitting the US at some point. My basement is 40 deg F, so I am not as concerned about it going bad.

It appears that the motor oil shortage was particularly acute for Shell. From what I read it is difficulty in getting the additive package that they use to formulate their oils. I can get Delvac 1 all day long (not Ford-approved in 5W-40 weight, but good to use in 0W-40 formulation). Rotella T6 5W40 was really difficult to find, but it is starting to show up again on some shelves. I just picked up 3 gallons "on-sale" just before Christmas. O'Reilley's in my area has T6 as well, but they are asking $75 for a 2.5 gallon container.

#194 ·
I can confirm the motor oil shortage. Rotella T6 was nearly impossible to find in eastern Massachusetts. After spending an hour online shopping, I finally found some at an Autozone in Boston and bought it to pick up later. When I went there, their shelves were empty in the diesel oil department for 5W30 or 5W40.

I meant to see if they had some DEF and I forgot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.