Def - Page 2 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 PM

I picked up a jug of Motorcraft DEF from my dealer yesterday for $12.64 not including 6% PA sales tax. Seemed reasonable to me. I intend to use nothing but Motorcraft DEF. My DEF gauge still shows almost 3/4 full but we are taking a trip with the truck from here in ne PA to central Florida this weekend. I won't be loaded very heavy but I'll still post my overall mileage when we get back in a couple of weeks.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

@jcav55 seems like you got a fair price on the OEM DEF. Have safe travels and report back on how your trip goes.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:37 PM

How much def are you guys burning while towing ? I towed a 18 foot enclosed 800km on the weekend and used half a tank of def ... this seems excessive to me?? Seeing how I normally get 10,000 km per fill not towing ..

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Willaert View Post
How much def are you guys burning while towing ? I towed a 18 foot enclosed 800km on the weekend and used half a tank of def ... this seems excessive to me?? Seeing how I normally get 10,000 km per fill not towing ..
I have noticed increased def use while towing a tandem axle larger trailers
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:14 PM

I buy my Def. at Rural King. $14.00 for 5 gal.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djman View Post
I can tell by the smell when I get out of my truck if I stopped the engine during a regen and usually will start it back up and let it idle for a few minutes to cool down the exhaust and turbo. Regen runs your EGT up over 1100 degrees, if you turn your engine off during that then your turbo is superheated and still spinning for an amazing long time, with no fresh oil going to the bearings. I try to avoid that when possible. If I'm in a hurry I use the remote start to turn the truck back on so it will idle and cool down by the time the timer turns the engine off.
I know it seems like a lot of trouble but in all my miles I've never lost a turbo, the only major damage I've had in all my miles was from running a tuner and full delete on a 2011 6.7 dually. (Don't leave it on the "hot" setting while pulling a gooseneck loaded with 30,000lbs of steel is the lesson there.)
Just so you know these trucks use a combined diesel oxidative catalyst/DPF, which means that most of the additional heat is produced within the DPF due to a reaction between hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and the catalyst impregnated DPF substrate. So during a regen, the EGR is reduced which raises the EGT slightly (around 900-950 F) to get the conditions in the DPF right for the catalytic reaction, and raw diesel is then injected on the exhaust stroke to provide the hydrocarbon part of the equation. When it all hits the DPF, the catalytic reaction produces heat, which raises the temp in the DPF to the point where the soot burns out. So the temperature in your turbo does not reach any dangerous levels. You can watch this in forscan, the temperature upstream of the DPF (after the turbo) is cooler than downstream. Regardless of this however I do agree that if you have to shut down during a regen, or after towing heavy, give the truck a minute to breathe before shutting it down to be safe (in park as this will kill the regen cycle).

Also your DEF fluid consumption will increase during regeneration, as NOx emissions are formed due to high temperatures, so more urea is needed to counteract this during regen. This is why you hear your DEF injector ticking when your truck is in regen mode, it's injecting at a way faster rate... so more regenerations means more DEF.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanrr View Post
I have noticed increased def use while towing a tandem axle larger trailers
The higher the EGT's, the more DEF is needed to counteract NOx formation, simple as that. So towing, or having more regens due to mainly city driving, will both lead to higher DEF consumption.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I recently returned from a long distance fishing trip where I towed ~4,500 pounds for 1,100 miles and used about 1/3 tank of DEF.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:49 PM

Pulled 6500lb low hauler motorcycle trailer 2100mi and used 7+gal DEF and 161 gal Fuel. Started out with a full tank and at 850 mile into the trip got the 500mi to empty warning. I was told to expect 1 gal of DEF used per 50 gal of Diesel when I purchased the truck.

Called the service department and the service manager thinks the usage is excessive but is waiting for more feedback from his Diesel tech. Not to many 3.0 out in our area.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:28 PM

I filled up my DEF a week ago at a local Kenworth dealership.
They sell it at the pump, it is the cheapest and freshest around.
No problems so far.

2018 F150 Platinum Diesel, Bluejeans. Autostop Eliminator. Forscan mods: Double honk disable and DPF status added. Traded in: 2015 F150 Lariat 5.0. Commute car 2012 Mini Cooper S All4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page