Diesel F150 Forum banner

Meet the lady who reconfigured our 3.0 for the F150

9K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Dunrollin 
#1 ·
I don't know if this has been done before but I found this 10 minute video to be interesting. She covers:

-100,000 mile warranty
-EGR valve
-Accessory belts
-Turbo

and lots of other items.

#2 · (Edited)
@Dunrollin - thanks for posting this video as it contains a lot of good info on the new 3.0L PowerStroke Diesel Engine that is the power plant for our new trucks.

It did confirm two things that have been discussed in other forum threads:
  1. 5yr/100k 3.0L PowerStroke Diesel Engine warranty
  2. 10k Oil Change Interval design point for 3.0L PowerStroke Diesel engine

Thanks again for posting... I continue to learn something new every day.

Reactions: Dunrollin
#4 ·
Power Stroke has 100k.

#8 ·
At 4:18 of the video "The design life of this engine is 150,000 miles".

At 4:28 of the video "Our Power Train warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles--the engine specifically being a Power Stroke is 5 years/100,000 miles"

At 7:25 of the video "...oil targets which is 10,000 mile oil changes for this vehicle"

I am at 49% oil life remaining at ~5,000 miles, so my truck seems to be tracking to the 10K oil change intervals. I was going to do my first oil change at 5,000 miles, but now after seeing this video I will do it at 7,500 miles.

I had seen this on a previous YouTube video "The design life of this engine is 150,000 miles", I think from the same guy in this video. I put on ~22k per year, keep my trucks 8-9 years, so I have historically gone well past the 150k mileage mark. So what does everyone think about this statement? We have major engine work and expenses at 150k, or the engine is shot and needs replacement at 150k? With these trucks being military grade aluminum it seems that now the truck body will outlast the engine life.

#9 ·
5.9 I6 Cummins was a 150k engine on paper and they routinely go to 1 million miles.

#11 · (Edited)
So you have to change a belt *possibly* at 150k? Whats the big deal? What am I missing.

Isnt a gas engine life like 150k and they always go way more, This diesel will be the same. Dont worry about it and just enjoy the truck.

#13 ·
From what I can gather, "design life" is an industry term that really shouldn't be used in consumer realms as it is misleading. The design life of a vehicle is the period of time during which the vehicle is expected by its designers to work within its specified parameters; in other words, it’s the length of time between placement into service and when it starts to wear out - not it’s expected death.

#14 ·
Changing out the front and rear belts has got to be a big job. Here is a video of the 2.7 Discovery getting the belts changed. I think that is a Lion engine similar to ours. I can't even get my hands into these spaces, should be interesting when one of ours is done and videotaped.

My thinking is if dealers have this much of an issue with the egr valve where timing is not involved we may have a tough time finding qualified mechanics. I usually do my own stuff but ...

#17 ·
I agree this computer on here is counting down fast! I think I will be at 0% at 4k miles on the oil. I dont see how that could be right for a fully syn oil. I know it has no idea its a full syn, but seriously my GMs (2015-2016 Tahoe/Silverados) will go to like 10K!

I dont think the raptor was this fast either.

#19 ·
I have 6587.4 miles with 36% oil life remaining, so mine is continuing to track to the 10K interval; however, I'm with @mascrappo in that I have a hard time mentally stretching it out to a 10K interval, so my plan is to change every 7500 miles.

When I was driving around yesterday it dawned on me that I haven't rotated tires yet, and that is something I did every 5K miles in the past--I guess the mileage just snuck up on me. I think I am just going to do both oil change and tire rotation together at 7500 mile intervals for now. If I replaced the OEM tires then I'd probably go back to 5000 mile tire rotation.

Reactions: mascrappo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.