START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) - Page 7 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:30 PM

Just got the call- Bittersweet for sure. Ford has agreed to a buyback. It is sad because everything on the truck works great, except for the bucking, codes and frankly the mileage is not at all what we expected.
post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

@Dunrollin - good to hear that Ford folded-their-hand and decided to offer a buyback for your truck, as I think they are caught-with-their-pants-down WRT to having a fully stocked supply chain to actually try to repair any of these new 3.0L PowerStrokes out-in-the-field. For those negatively affected owners who have posted, Ford seems to be taking 3-4 weeks just to get the parts to replace the first time, so they are blowing the limit on the out-of-service days for most state Lemon Laws in just that first RO.

What we never figured out with your truck was what really went wrong... With such low mileage, I would be surprised that you lost a screw, but I guess anything is possible. I think you stated in another post that your dealer never specifically mentioned if there were any missing screws in your original EGR By-pass valve. What is your opinion? Do you think one or both got sucked into the engine? If not, what do you think was causing all of your engine issues?

Bigger question I guess is: Do you have the heart to go thru this again with another F150 3.0L Diesel?

I wish you the best of luck Doug, as I have been amazed by your patience with all of this, so I am glad Ford is standing by their product and doing the right thing in your case.

I will update the spreadsheet with your outcome tomorrow.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards & Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:30 AM

Thanks! First, we love the truck. Still less than 3,000 miles but last weekend we decided to take a trip in it and ended way back in the mountains. For about 1 hour we lost cell contact and that was when it began bucking. My wife was a little shaken LOL. Anyway she still refuses to drive it.

It only has one issue but no one has yet figured out what it is. My best guess is the egr recall mechanic screwed something up because that is when it all started. I doubt I will ever know.

Probably late fall or next winter we will replace it and it will be a diesel but not positive exactly which model. Meanwhile my 2013 F150 5.0 is still running like a champion so no hurry. I love the trucks, not the dealers but Ford has been good to keep trying to fix it.

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fharrison View Post
Just an update of my problem. Started with a p2457 code (egr cooler efficiency). Then had p0234 pop up for over boost a week later. Went back 2 times to pick up truck because they thought it was fixed. Drove out of the lot and accelerated quickly, boost gauge pins all the way and cel comes on for p0234. Immediately return each time. Now, Ford thinks it needs a new egr. In goes my second egr when parts get in. Not sure it will fix it but it was the first problem. I am just not sure how it is causing overboost.
An update....dealer replaced the egr but then found a vacuum leak. Have a feeling that was actually responsible for egr efficiency and overboost problem since both of those are vacuum actuated. May have not been a problem with egr at all. Will find out tomorrow.
post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
An update....dealer replaced the egr but then found a vacuum leak. Have a feeling that was actually responsible for egr efficiency and overboost problem since both of those are vacuum actuated. May have not been a problem with egr at all. Will find out tomorrow.
@fharrison - Vacuum leak sounds more in line with what your problem is, as I was also scratching my head as to why EGR would be affecting turbo boost.

Please keep us in the loop if this solves your CELs...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards & Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Those EGR screws are pretty small. Does anyone think that a lost EGR screw in the engine could exit the engine during an oil change and no longer pose a risk to the engine? It's just a thought I had on this recently.

Perhaps those that have lost a screw or two have already dropped out the screw during an oil change. Or, for those that have this situation, maybe have the used oil strained to see if the screw(s) came out and if found in the used oil it would provide piece of mind that there are no longer loose screw(s) in the engine.

It may even be worth pouring in a couple gallons of oil with the oil drain plug out to try to flush out the screw(s) from the engine?

Just trying to provide some comfort or possible hope to those on @jmperlik wounded brethren spreadsheet.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1
post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjasper View Post
Just trying to provide some comfort or possible hope to those on wounded brethren spreadsheet.
Sorry, but I'm confused. How would a screw get into the oil? The valve is in the exhaust gas re-circulation system, so where the valve screws are located oil pressure lubed? I think a much greater chance of either being sucked into the compression chamber and with any luck out the exhaust or has had happened into the pistons and valves doing damage?

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 black two tone
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:30 AM

If a screw was drawn into to intake and actually made its way into the oil pan. That cylinder would be damaged badly and I’d have to think the beginning of the end to the engine.
post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just an update of my problem. Started with a p2457 code (egr cooler efficiency). Then had p0234 pop up for over boost a week later. Went back 2 times to pick up truck because they thought it was fixed. Drove out of the lot and accelerated quickly, boost gauge pins all the way and cel comes on for p0234. Immediately return each time. Now, Ford thinks it needs a new egr. In goes my second egr when parts get in. Not sure it will fix it but it was the first problem. I am just not sure how it is causing overboost.
Update.... egr replacement and vacuum leak repair did not fix the overboost problem. Dealer is stumped and a Ford engineer is on the way to figure this out. Bummer. I love this truck, just want it to work.
post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Update.... egr replacement and vacuum leak repair did not fix the overboost problem. Dealer is stumped and a Ford engineer is on the way to figure this out. Bummer. I love this truck, just want it to work.
Glad they are getting a engineer on it. I am sure they will figure it out. For the guys that know these trucks, in my opinion they are not all that complicated.

If they come back that the motor is destroyed by eating the screw, demand(nicely) a buyback and replacement. Seems like others are getting that with a bit of a push.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled | Tuning Tools In Hand/Ask Me I Can Help You!: HP Tuners/nGauge, EzLynk, Ford VCM II, OBDLink MX+

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page