START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) - Page 9 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:57 PM

Mine is still in the shop for p2457 and p0234 codes. I think they had the Ford engineer out. No updates lately. Over a month in the shop now.
post #82 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
Sorry, but I'm confused. How would a screw get into the oil? The valve is in the exhaust gas re-circulation system, so where the valve screws are located oil pressure lubed? I think a much greater chance of either being sucked into the compression chamber and with any luck out the exhaust or has had happened into the pistons and valves doing damage?

I literally think about the lost crew in my engine every day! I was told from ford that it likely went out an exhaust valve. I doubt that seriously, I'm betting that screw is larger than the exhaust valve clearance. I've seen pictures of these screws pounded into the tops of pistons. Based on the engine knocking that I experienced that slowly went away on its own, I'm betting that's where mine is. Probably wont give me any issues until I'm pulling a fish house, 3 miles out onto a lake, temps tickling -40 F, 3am, with no cell phone service. Or the day after my warranty expires. I've had my compression checked twice since this happen and both came back at 375psi per cylinder, 0% variation, at least that's what I'm told. So unfortunate, I absolutely love this truck but its going to be untrustworthy until this screw turns up.
post #83 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:56 PM

That would certainly be unnerving... If somehow it made it past the exhaust, and through your turbo without causing damage to either (unlikely), you'd surely find it sitting upstream of your DOC. Maybe you can get under there and give it a shake? or pop it off and take a look inside. I doubt you will find it there tough.

In my opinion the most likely scenario is that it was still in or near the EGR valve, and it fell out and down when they took everything apart. If it made its way into a cylinder and bounced around in there enough to cause knocking, there certainly would have been valve damage, and you would see that in your compression test. If somehow it got pounded into a piston, I bet there would be a balancing issue that you would notice as a vibration in the engine. For peace of mind however, maybe get a second opinion on the compression test at an independent shop, and if if you really want to know, find someone to borescope the pistons to see if any of them show signs of damage... even if it was pounded into the head somewhere, you would see damage on the piston. If that comes back clean, you're likely good to go! If you're still worried after that... have the dealer give you a good deal on a trade in haha. Good luck!

post #84 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:11 PM

P245B EGR Engine Code

I took my truck on a long fishing trip last week. I filled it up with fuel and DEF today and when I put it in park in my driveway, it through a CEL: P245B. It seems to be running well and I didn't notice any issues. Has anyone experienced this? I'll be setting up an appointment with the dealership soon.

Appreciate any feedback others may have!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1694.jpg (269.7 KB, 20 views)

2019 F150 Platinum 3.0 SCrew 4x4 FX4 5.5 Bed TTP

Forscan Mods: Disable Double Honk, Bambi Mode, Disable AS/S, Enable Nav While Moving, Digital Engine Gauges, Enable Manual Regen
post #85 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duan0501 View Post
I took my truck on a long fishing trip last week. I filled it up with fuel and DEF today and when I put it in park in my driveway, it through a CEL: P245B. It seems to be running well and I didn't notice any issues. Has anyone experienced this? I'll be setting up an appointment with the dealership soon.

Appreciate any feedback others may have!
Definitely setup appt with dealer. I would also check connections to EGR under the hood. Be sure to post back what dealer says.

As your truck is a 2019 it should not be a issue with the EGR screw that could potentially fall out, should be all good there.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled | HP Tuners/nGauge, EzLynk, Ford VCM II, OBDLink MX+

Last edited by wreedsvt; 06-23-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #86 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Was able to get the truck into the dealership today. They stated on the phone the EGR Cooler went bad and they are replacing it. Should have the part in tomorrow. Are there any questions I should be asking them about this?

Forscan Mods: Disable Double Honk, Bambi Mode, Disable AS/S, Enable Nav While Moving, Digital Engine Gauges, Enable Manual Regen
post #87 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Well, bad news from the dealer... My truck must've slipped through the assembly line with the old EGR cooler installed. I've never been made aware of a recall by mail or via the FordPass app. When the dealer took it apart, there was one missing screw, which hasn't been found.

The dealer claims that Ford told them to run certain tests and if it passes, to release the truck back to me. I'm of course very frustrated by this as the missing screw likely made it's way through the cylinder head and out the turbo... I'm working with the dealer I purchased the truck from (4 hours away) to see if there is any more they can do to communicate with Ford directly.

post #88 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

@duan0501 - sorry to hear about your missing EGR By-pass valve screw, as this is the first I have heard of a 2019 model year being impacted.

If you haven't found this yet, here is the sticky thread for: START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement)
=> I recommend that you post on this sticky thread to get your vehicle added to "the list"
=> Or if you like I can merge this thread into that master sticky thread
Either way I will add you and your vehicle to the "Wounded Bretheren" spreadsheet of affected owners

I would be very interested if this was indeed any original/faulty EGR By-pass valve or the newer/re-designed EGR By-pass valve, but I'm not sure if the dealer would be able to provide that info, as your vehicle was not part of the FSA 18E02 recall. It would be scary if this was indeed the newer redesigned valve...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards & Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 07-05-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #89 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

duan,

What is the build date of your truck?

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled | HP Tuners/nGauge, EzLynk, Ford VCM II, OBDLink MX+
post #90 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:19 PM

The truck was built on February 4, 2019. If you can merge this thread to that one, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page