Torque Converter Issues - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Torque Converter Issues

My 2018 Lariat went to the dealer yesterday for an oil change. Mileage is 16,600 currently. While it was there I asked them to look at my trans and reflash it as it shifts hard to/from 3rd and 7th gear, and hard into reverse.

I got a call today that my torque converter is toast and thatís why I was getting hard shifts. Apparently there is a service bulletin brewing. I read up on the 10 speed trans and from what I saw, harder shifting is common with this trans. Thatís why I didnít think a whole lot on the hard shifts. With this in mind, if you notice any hard shifts it may not be a bad idea to take it in. For now Iím in a loaner until next Friday. This is the second time I will have had a loaner car (first being the EGR recall).

Iím less than thrilled about the whole thing but my dealer is taking good care of me. Just wanted to pass on what I learned today.
Dunrollin likes this.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 AM

I really like the 6 speed 6R80 in my 2013, not sure the 10 speed is an improvement. In my opinion the 6 is smoother and it has a proven record of reliability.

I know, I am living in the past LOL
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

@Bullseye thanks for posting this and sharing with the forum, as we all benefit--especially from these types of heads-up posts.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2
ForScan Mods: DPF Full %, Bambi Mode, Show Temps Above Gauges, Operator Commanded Regen (OCR), more to do...

Traded In* ---> 2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch 5.4L Triton, LINE-X & BAKFlip CS/F1

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:36 PM

Smoother shifting may not mean more durable. The old Dodge 545RFE and 645RFE's shifted very smoothly but had a fair bit of problems from slipping the clutches. I drag raced my old 2005 Ram with 545 RFE, but had line pressure raised, shifts raised to 6,200 and ran it 276,000 miles without an issue. I know of a few "pull trucks with nitrous injected 426 hemi strokers running that so called weak transmission without issue. I believe someone out there has the know how to raise line pressures in the Ford 10 speed. If not now, GDE, probably will have transmission tuning soon. Ram guys are raving about GDE's tuning for the ZF 8 speeds . I don't have it yet, happy with stock tuning so far.

2017 Ram Ecodiesel, 2008 Arctic Cat turbo diesel
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Share the TSB if you get it from the dealer. I wonder if this applies to all F150s? I had a 2017 Raptor with the 10 speed that shifted hard when cold. I complained and a new software update was applied and it was great after that. Luckily I do not have any issues with this new diesel. Trans is smooth all the time.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I will post info as I get it for sure. The impression I got was multiple 150s have come in with the same issue. Dark trans fluid is an indicator. Hopefully it doesnít damage the rest of my trans/affect other parts they arenít replacing. In the 16,000 miles Iíve put on it it, this truck has had more time on a lift for warranty service (between the EGR warranty work and now this) than my Toyota did at 100,000 miles. Hopefully it will be a reliable truck. Iím a first time ford owner and I hope Iím not a last time ford owner by the end of it. Fingers crossed!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

An update for anyone interested. The new torque converter was installed and things seemed better. They did a trans relearn and it was smoother, and has been up to now.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning, I'm driving to work and my truck throws a code. P2A01. Very shortly after it went into regen and stayed there, even with DPF at 0%. Stuck in regen the entire hour drive to me was unsafe so I pulled over and threw it in park to see if that would kick it out of regen. It did. After that happened I immediately tookmy truck in to the nearest dealer. They didn't have time to look until today. They scanned the codes for the engine light and it came back with codes for "slow to respond" on the o2 sensors which led them to perform a pinpoint test for the Nox module (which reads the o2 sensor data.) That gave them the response to replace the Nox module.

Back to the transmission. Still not shifting right but better than before. After getting yet another loaner truck, the shifting in the loaner was so much different than what I'm used to I called my service rep and I asked them to look at my trans again. They somehow came to the conclusion that it was related to the nox sensor as "they control flow through the system and could be affecting the shifting." The new Nox module will be here in four days. This is the 5th time my truck has been in the shop since I bought it new in December.

I am not sure whether or not to Lemon Law this truck. I want to love it. But this is insanity.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:18 AM

Hopefully the new module will solve it. Could be once you get that it will run perfect.

I did the lemon thing earlier this year and seriously if the fix works don't look back. Ford makes a buy back as difficult as possible. I am still awaiting a refund on my loan- they drag everything out as long as they can. Hoping for the best for you.
Bullseye likes this.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Itís frustrating for sure. I have a case number and have started working with corporate Ford about it so I hope they will make it right. I just want a reliable truck!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

An update.. The after calling Corporate Ford and opening a case, they looked into it with dealer I took my truck to for the CEL. The long and short of it is, Ford has agreed to buy the truck back. Currently starting that process with them. Now trying to figure out whether or not I stick with the 3.0 or go another direction. Going to think on it pretty hard. Just trying to be transparent with my issues with this truck and my experience to date.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page