Block Heater ? - Page 4 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

@agetech - I checked for the same table in the 2019 Ford F150 order Guide and found:
=> Engine Block Heater (41H) is no longer listed at the end in its own table like it was in the 2018 Order Guide
=> Engine Block Heater (41H) is however listed as an orderable Option in the Equipment Group tables for all eight (8) trim levels (= not standard equipment on any trim level)
=> Guessing that EBH was standard in "cold weather states" (listed above) for the 2018 model year and now must be ordered as an option for all 2019 models

Do you have a 2019 model year?

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 04:07 PM

Yes 2019
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Reading thru this thread and other EBH threads, there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not an Engine Block Heater (EBH) was ever a standard option:
=> I had posted this same info on cold weather states in a older thread that I can't find, so I think that thread was another casualty of the database corruption a few months back
=> From what I can tell from the 2018 and 2019 F150 Order Guides, it looks like it was a only a standard option on 2018 models in following US states: AK, MN, ND, SD, MT, WI, & WY
=> I know that when I tried to order the EBH option with my factory-ordered 2018 Platinum, my dealer told me the Ford ordering system would not allow them to add the option in NY
=> I (like @navyR113 ) live in NY state and it can get pretty cold here and would have preferred to have one installed from the factory
=> I've seen posts from owners who claim they have Engine Block Heaters but are in southern US states = I am thoroughly confused

Maybe a better way to confirm EBH availability is for owners who did get an EBH standard on their truck (w/o ordering it) to chime in what model year and state they are in?

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 01-11-2020 at 04:50 PM.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 03:13 PM

Location: Invermere, British Columbia, in the Rocky Mountains
I think, (stating the obvious) and goes without saying, ... all Canadian production (of course) somes with a block heater ?

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 black two tone
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 08:37 PM

Garage
-17C plugged in for four hours and remote start failed.. it looks like when your inside the truck pressing the start button the glow plugs.. glow for longer and it fired right up.

posted videos on the Facebook group

I added Lucas Anti Gel today and filled up because in the next few days we are looking at -35C

2018 F150 Lariat Sport - Oxford White, every available option.
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

@Jgleadle - well that's kinda disappointing! Do you have engine/transmission temps enabled above the gauges in your IPC via FORScan? I would hope that using the EBH for 4 hours prior to starting should have kept the engine warmer than nothing at all, but not sure why remote start vs inside-the-truck push button starting should make any difference. Usually the colder it is, the longer between initiating the start and the starter turning over (i.e. longer glow plug interval) = I haven't had any issues with cold remote starts, but then again it was 67 F in eastern NY today...

post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 03:06 PM

Garage
I do have the temps enabled, from what I saw yesterday it gets up to +19C then cycles between +13 and +20C. I am unsure if it has a thermocouple switch in it or not, the cycling behaviour seems a bit odd.. but it may just be the coolant heat syphoning through the block too.

Yesterday was -17C and today its -24C

It could be the diesel gelling too... yesterday I warmed it up and put in ~200ml Lucas Anti-Gel which should be good for the -35 we are expecting on Tuesday.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

@Jgleadle - EBH is definitely working as that Centigrade temperature range equates to +55F to +68F = a lot warmer than your outside temps!

Going to guess fuel gelling if you haven't treated your fuel up until now = I'm running Stanadyne Performance Formula which has anti-gelling, so the Lucas Anti-Gel should help with that...

Keep us posted on your cold starting adventures!

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:44 PM

Garage
We pretty heavily treat our diesel up here starting around Oct 1st right from the refinery.. my adding ant-gel is kinda overkill but I thought I would give it a try.. today -24C and it was a repeat of yesterday.. FOB = no start, Dash button and it worked.. had to spin over for a few revolutions but our starters are beasts..

I am gonna try another tune, I heard either the factory or 90hp will clean it up a bit, currently I am on 30hp

post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

@Jgleadle - yeah, in retrospect I should have figured you had to be using treated fuel at the temperatures you have been talking about = my bad...

Have you tried remote starting thru the FordPass app?
=> You can start via the Start button from the main screen or try a Scheduled Start from the Vehicle Details tab
=> Not sure if either will be any different than from the FOB, but I'd be interested in your results only because I think the battery in my FOB isn't as strong as it was when new...

Last edited by jmperlik; 01-12-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page