Block Heater ? - Page 5 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:10 PM

Location: Invermere, British Columbia, in the Rocky Mountains
A couple of probably unrelated items.

Why do I always leave things until it is the most difficult? I went out a couple of nights ago in a snow storm in the dark to get my truck ready to plug in the block heater. It was not that cold yet, but it was forecast and I wanted to plug it in. I had to reclaim the cords that had been requisitioned by the significant other for Christmas lights from under two feet of ice, plug in and string from the house, only to find that I had parked too close to the end of my storage shed and could not open the hood safety latch because I didn't know where the block heater cord cord is located. So now what, I want to plug the truck in so I could start it and can't reach the plug? I started and move the truck which kind of defeated the whole purpose for doing this, but fortunately it was not that cold, yet. (old fool)

Had trouble latching the hood and the truck would not start with the remote until i got it latched, and then this morning @ -20 C and plugged in for a hour the first remote start ran with a noise like the starter drive engaged and the truck shut off, on second try it started with starter drive noise for 20 seconds then disengaged and ran fine.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 black two tone
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:23 AM

Garage
@ Old Ray; I've been having similar problems as you stated. What I've noticed is if I don't plug in the block heater the truck fires up instantly and runs fine. If I use the block heater, the engine has trouble starting and you can hear the starter turning over and over until the engine fully starts. Goes on for 10 seconds or so. This happens at -10 or most recently at -30. I plugged the block heater in for 2 hrs, 5 hrs and for about 12hrs at -30 last week with the same results. No block heater; truck fires up like it's summer time.

Anyone have any insight?
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hend238 View Post
@ Old Ray; I've been having similar problems as you stated. What I've noticed is if I don't plug in the block heater the truck fires up instantly and runs fine. If I use the block heater, the engine has trouble starting and you can hear the starter turning over and over until the engine fully starts. Goes on for 10 seconds or so. This happens at -10 or most recently at -30. I plugged the block heater in for 2 hrs, 5 hrs and for about 12hrs at -30 last week with the same results. No block heater; truck fires up like it's summer time.

Anyone have any insight?
Yes..Move to Florida..
I have a room ready for you 😊
hend238 likes this.

Jerry Adams
2019 3,0 PS XLT-FX4

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:33 AM

Location: Invermere, British Columbia, in the Rocky Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradymaci View Post
Yes..Move to Florida.. I have a room ready for you 😊
Sorry, I would rather stay here no matter how cold it gets.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 black two tone
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Unread Today, 07:25 AM

I bought my 2018 F150 King Ranch in Wisconsin, and it came with the block heater installed. Soon thereafter I received a recall notice warning that some block heaters would short out. I tested mine, it didn't work and blew the fuses in the house every time it was plugged in. After three trips to the dealer they replaced the heater, and the new one didn't work. When I measured the resistance, the reading was infinite. They replaced the heater again, and finally it works, and works well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page