Oil Analysis Results - Ford F150 Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Oil Analysis Results

So I just completed my second oil change on the truck and thought I would share my oil analysis results that I had done for fun. There's currently 6767 miles on the truck, with pretty much exactly 4000 miles on this oil change. After my initial oil change at around 2800 miles, I changed oil from the factory oil to a 5W40 CK-4 oil meeting the ford WSS-M2C171-FI spec . As far as I can tell all wear levels are in the normal range, but it would be nice to compare results if anyone else has had one completed?

The engine is still quite young so i'm sure higher levels of wear might be present during the break in period. In this case my iron (FE) result was 49 ppm. From my research anything over 100 ppm might indicate higher levels of wear so pretty good I guess (although had I done 8000 miles on this oil i'm not sure where this number would be). Another thing to look at would be Silicon (Si) which would indicate dirt intrusion, anything over 20 might indicate that something isn't sealed and dirt is getting in (7 for me). The other thing I am concerned about is insolubles (soot). at 1.1% this seems like it might be high, although i'm not sure what a normal value is. It would be nice to see an analysis from an EGR and DPF deleted truck to see if this level is lower, as this combined with lower FE and other wear indicators would be a good case for doing this. For this analysis however all other wear metals are well within the normal range.

Zn, P, CA, are all related to the oil additive package. The viscosity looks good at 13.3 vs 14.8 in new oil (good to see that things didn't thicken up over time); the trend is thinning however, so i'm much more comfortable with a 5W40 oil over the 5W30 FA-4 oil which is much thinner to begin with. 0 fuel dilution is nice to see, and everything else looks good. Curious to hear your thoughts or see how these numbers compare to any other analyses that have been done.

The oil I used is here: https://klondikelubricants.com/wp-co...ne-Oil-PDS.pdf

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford 3.0 Diesel EOA.jpg (83.3 KB, 27 views)
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Side note, I asked the lab about the insolubles % and they said they don't flag anything as a concern until it gets to 3%, so in that respect this result is good. I've looked at some blackstone labs reports to compare to what they are seeing in the 6.7, and it is typically much lower around 0.4%, and is flagged around 0.7%. I have identified however that the labs use a different testing standard for this (ASTM D7317 vs ASTM D1796). D7317 includes all oil-insoluble material including soot (as it's a filtration method), and the D1796 is basically a centrifuge method that measures sediment. So given that and the fact the oil is designed to suspend soot, one would expect to find lower values using that method. It seems blackstone recognises this and offer a specific test for soot using infrared as an add-on service for diesel folks. In that description they say that they like to see levels at around 1.0% or lower, and 2.0% is high. So my all in combined insolubles of 1.1% is actually a good respectable result.

Sorry, i'm a scientist by trade to so I tend to dig down on the details.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Nice! I have 2 Blackstone bottles ready for my next change.

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 AM

This is from my oil change at 13,360 miles. I just did an oil change at 21,609 miles but didn't do Blackstone on that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackstone 13360 miles.jpg (130.9 KB, 20 views)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing. Overall looks pretty similar to mine in terms of wear metals. It would be nice to see the iron level come down a bit, although we'll hopefully see that down the road as they break in. I think i could have gone a lot more on my oil as the TBN is still up at 7.2.

What oil are you using? looks a little light on the anti-wear additives compared to this CK-4.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:01 PM

This report was still using 5W-30 API FA-4. I had a couple of free oil changes from the dealer after dealing with the EGR fiasco.
I'm currently running Rotella T6 5w40
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:38 PM

Here is a report on my Ecodiesel Ram to compare. Coming up on my 50,000 mile change next week. Also, my K&N air filter has 50,000 miles now and probably needs a cleaning. I didn't bother to delete my info, no worries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 17 RAM 1500-190521.pdf (19.4 KB, 21 views)

2017 Ram Ecodiesel, 2008 Arctic Cat turbo diesel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page