Diesel Particulate Filter status - Page 3 - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 362
@KR2018 - I am not saying that the technology doesn't exist to do this nor that this can't be done...
What I am saying is that my 2018 For F150 Platinum PS Diesel does not have this capability enabled (period)

The Wind River Edge Sync "press announce" you point reference is dated October 2018, which is:
= more than a month after I took delivery of my vehicle
= more than 2 months after my vehicle came of the assembly line
= more than 8 months after the books opened for F150 PS Diesels
= more than a year or 2 after the design for a 2018 Ford 150 was laid down
so I am pretty sure (with near 100% confidence) that this new technology is not in my 2018 Ford F150

I have no doubt that Ford will be using this OTA technology to push updates in the future, but my guess would be 2020 at the earliest but probably 2021 0r 2022.

I think we should focus on what could be causing you to go down this unknown/rare code path, but it is safe to assume the gremlins are not coming from OTA ECM or PCM updates....

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 09-13-2019 at 06:46 AM.
jmperlik is online now  
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Florida
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
@KR2018 - I am not saying that the technology doesn't exist to do this nor that this can't be done...
What I am saying is that my 2018 For F150 Platinum PS Diesel does not have this capability enabled (period)

The Wind River Edge Sync "press announce" you point reference is dated October 2018, which is:
= more than a month after I took delivery of my vehicle
= more than 2 months after my vehicle came of the assembly line
= more than 8 months after the books opened for F150 PS Diesels
= more than a year or 2 after the design for a 2018 Ford 150 was laid down
so I am pretty sure (with near 100% confidence) that this new technology is not in my 2018 Ford F150

I have no doubt that Ford will be using this OTA technology to push updates in the future, but my guess would be 2020 at the earliest but probably 2021 0r 2022.

I think we should focus on what could be causing you to go down this unknown/rare code path, but it is safe to assume the gremlins are not coming from OTA ECM or PCM updates....
You are probably right, but the modems are in all sync 3 devices. The 2018 model year has the lates capability and was recently enhanced with Waze capability.

I checked my sync 3 version and I am on version 3.0. I checked it a couple weeks ago and I thought it was version 3.1 but Didnít write it down so may be just my memory...I have auto updates enabled.

2019 vehicles are up to version 3.3.

Glitches donít create graphics. Especially in two different trucks that are identical.
But there could be some old data that is still in the code that could have glitched in.

Letís say the original code was what I saw (cleaning) and then it was changed to give the % of fill like we have now at a later date.

Then at the next sync 3 boot it goes back to the new code.

Iíve seen my Sync3 do some strange stuff....like I always use the front camera with zoom when parking in a parking lot to mak sure I donít get too close to the car in front of me.
Once and only once the front camera would not come on. Then when I came back to the truck and started it the camera worked again. Never failed since.

I did go into the engineering data by holding the ok button while starting the truck and then adjusting the LOM to correctly post my MPG like I hand calculate.

I donít think that could have caused it because I started the truck several times before it went into regen.

Guess we should just wait and see if any other members experience this.

KR2018
KR2018 is online now  
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Florida
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2018 View Post
You are probably right, but the modems are in all sync 3 devices. The 2018 model year has the lates capability and was recently enhanced with Waze capability.

I checked my sync 3 version and I am on version 3.0. I checked it a couple weeks ago and I thought it was version 3.1 but Didnít write it down so may be just my memory...I have auto updates enabled.

2019 vehicles are up to version 3.3.

Glitches donít create graphics. Especially in two different trucks that are identical.
But there could be some old data that is still in the code that could have glitched in.

Letís say the original code was what I saw (cleaning) and then it was changed to give the % of fill like we have now at a later date.

Then at the next sync 3 boot it goes back to the new code.

Iíve seen my Sync3 do some strange stuff....like I always use the front camera with zoom when parking in a parking lot to mak sure I donít get too close to the car in front of me.
Once and only once the front camera would not come on. Then when I came back to the truck and started it the camera worked again. Never failed since.

I did go into the engineering data by holding the ok button while starting the truck and then adjusting the LOM to correctly post my MPG like I hand calculate.

I donít think that could have caused it because I started the truck several times before it went into regen.

Guess we should just wait and see if any other members experience this.

KR2018
Just noticed that in Fordpass I received a message that the truck was in regen. Donít remember that ever happening before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.jpg (71.1 KB, 31 views)
KR2018 is online now  
 
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 362
@KR2018 - I've gone back and re-read your original post again, and I guess I missed this, but you are saying that you have always had a % Full reading in the Diesel Particulate Filter Status section in your heads-up IPC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2018 View Post
Noticed change in the filter cleaning process today.

A dimly lit screen that read Diesel Particulate Filter Status..... Cleaning displayed with an OK in the lower right corner of the box. I pressed ok and box went away.

Then I selected The screen to display the Diesel Particulate Filter Status and it said cleaning.

It no longer gave the percent of fill on the screen throughout the remaining Regen process now I don’t know where it is in the process.

I HAVE NOT been back to the dealer or done any FORscan changes.

The only thing that I have done since the last regen is to correct the displayed MPG to what I actually calculate.

This is done without FORscan.
This is interesting because AFAIK this panel is normally not available to owners and has to be enabled by the dealer or via FORScan -- @kdjasper , @wreedsvt , and myself have all added this panel via FORScan.

I have had the Diesel Particulate Filter Status panel enabled for so long that I have grown accustomed to it always being there (I look at it daily), but normally there is no indication whatsoever to the owner. Without this % Full Display, you are correct = you have no idea where you are in the Regen process! I have griped about this transparency in more than one thread on these forums.

Maybe a better question is to ask your dealer where the display went, as you are saying that you have always had this display?

Could your dealer have possibly enabled the Diesel Particulate Filter Status display and it got wiped out with one of the reprogramming FSAs?
Did you purchase your truck new? If new, was it previously a dealership loaner or demo vehicle?

I'm thinking somewhat at your dealership turned it on and a service procedure then defaulted you back to the "normal" behavior.

Normally this Diesel Particulate Filter Status panel is hidden to any owner except those who have enabled it via FORScan.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
jmperlik is online now  
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Florida
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
@KR2018 - I've gone back and re-read your original post again, and I guess I missed this, but you are saying that you have always had a % Full reading in the Diesel Particulate Filter Status section in your heads-up IPC?



This is interesting because AFAIK this panel is normally not available to owners and has to be enabled by the dealer or via FORScan -- @kdjasper , @wreedsvt , and myself have all added this panel via FORScan.

I have had the Diesel Particulate Filter Status panel enabled for so long that I have grown accustomed to it always being there (I look at it daily), but normally there is no indication whatsoever to the owner. Without this % Full Display, you are correct = you have no idea where you are in the Regen process! I have griped about this transparency in more than one thread on these forums.

Maybe a better question is to ask your dealer where the display went, as you are saying that you have always had this display?

Could your dealer have possibly enabled the Diesel Particulate Filter Status display and it got wiped out with one of the reprogramming FSAs?
Did you purchase your truck new? If new, was it previously a dealership loaner or demo vehicle?

I'm thinking somewhat at your dealership turned it on and a service procedure then defaulted you back to the "normal" behavior.

Normally this Diesel Particulate Filter Status panel is hidden to any owner except those who have enabled it via FORScan.
Yes, I enabled the display via forscan. Have been using it for some time now, came in real handy on a long trip so it would not auto regen at 300 miles.

The difference this regen was when I selected the Diesel Particulate Filter Status, it only said cleaning, not the usual 100.95.90,etc. countdown. It also sent to Fordpass the message that it was cleaning. Maybe Fordpass has something to do with this, because I have never had a message in My Fordpass Account that it was cleaning and under the tabs it said to drive at least 30 mph until the regen process is complete.

If you want I can open those up and attach the file again.

If you look at the icon on the FordPass message it is the same icon that is displayed when you turn off auto regen.

Like someone said this may be a special regen at 11,000 miles or so, but I would think Iím not the only one at that mileage.

I donít think it is Forscan related because it has happened to non Forscan user.

Have you ever gotten a message in your Fordpass account saying the truck was in Regen and gave instructions how to drive it while in regen?

KR2018
KR2018 is online now  
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Florida
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamanrr View Post
actually this thread already details my exact experience with the same thing,





I have not seen it since though.


https://www.dieself150forum.com/foru...n-process.html
Do you remember getting a message in your Fordpass Account that the truck was in regen and was cleaning.

It appears as an exception or error message like if your truck throws an error code.

kr2018
KR2018 is online now  
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2018 View Post
Do you remember getting a message in your Fordpass Account that the truck was in regen and was cleaning.

It appears as an exception or error message like if your truck throws an error code.

kr2018
I do not remember getting one and I looked in the app and did not see a message so I am thinking I did not get one. I do not know why they made this truck more complicated than the bigger powerstroke. It should have all the standard big truck screens along with the spin on fuel filters fore and aft.
jamanrr is offline  
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Florida
Posts: 206
Interesting discussion. I am on my 1st trip pulling a 24 ft RV and left home at 80%. As others have noted passive regen occurred and it slowly ticked down to 30% but then in about 50 miles dropped quickly to 0% and remained there.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red
Dunrollin is online now  
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 37
I've found that there is a "deeper" regen that occurs if you go a certain amount over 100% full on the IPC. I found that it occurred at 120% of the open loop (OL) soot loading calculation. I recently reached an exhaust filter full indication on a highway trip, but had a very low closed loop (CL) soot load and good dP, so I decided to delay the regen. When the IPC said DPF full, I was really only at 41% full CL (direct measurement) and getting good passive regen so CL was going down while OL was going up. I ended the trip at 25% CL and 111% OL. I then had to do several short trips, none long enough to start a regen. Thus I reached 120% OL and got the attached message that OP referenced. I was only at 55% CL at that point so wasn't really concerned, but I had went 458 miles so decided to do the regen. This regen took 35 minutes and although the %full wasn't displayed on the IPC, the soot load calculations went down on the usual curve. Also attached the FordPass message for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FordPass message.jpg (46.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust System Cleaning.jpg (86.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DPF Overloaded Clean Now.jpg (85.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 120 percent OL.jpg (68.1 KB, 22 views)

2018 F-150 Lariat 3.0L Powerstroke 4X4
OBDLink MX+
FORScan mods: DPF %Full, Automatic Regen Control, Manual Regen W/ Active Regen Inhibit
CYODESL is offline  
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYODESL View Post
I've found that there is a "deeper" regen that occurs if you go a certain amount over 100% full on the IPC. I found that it occurred at 120% of the open loop (OL) soot loading calculation. I recently reached an exhaust filter full indication on a highway trip, but had a very low closed loop (CL) soot load and good dP, so I decided to delay the regen. When the IPC said DPF full, I was really only at 41% full CL (direct measurement) and getting good passive regen so CL was going down while OL was going up. I ended the trip at 25% CL and 111% OL. I then had to do several short trips, none long enough to start a regen. Thus I reached 120% OL and got the attached message that OP referenced. I was only at 55% CL at that point so wasn't really concerned, but I had went 458 miles so decided to do the regen. This regen took 35 minutes and although the %full wasn't displayed on the IPC, the soot load calculations went down on the usual curve. Also attached the FordPass message for reference.
I nor the OP are talking about the overload screen mine stated regen cycle is in process. Nothing about an overload, the dpf is full I'm sure but I have only seen the screen once and it has not come back I will take a pic the next time it comes up
jamanrr is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome