Diesel F150 Forum banner

Diesel Particulate Filter status

28K views 66 replies 11 participants last post by  jmperlik 
#1 ·
Noticed change in the filter cleaning process today.

A dimly lit screen that read Diesel Particulate Filter Status..... Cleaning displayed with an OK in the lower right corner of the box. I pressed ok and box went away.

Then I selected The screen to display the Diesel Particulate Filter Status and it said cleaning.

It no longer gave the percent of fill on the screen throughout the remaining Regen process :frown2: now I don’t know where it is in the process.

I HAVE NOT been back to the dealer or done any Forscan changes.

I did not have my phone with me to take pictures...

The only thing that I have done since the last regen is to correct the displayed MPG to what I actually calculate.

This is done without forescan.

So I am left believing a update was delivered to my truck through the onboard Cellular equipment that enables Hot Spot which I do not have enabled.

KR2018

See less See more
#6 ·
So I am left believing a update was delivered to my truck through the onboard Cellular equipment that enables Hot Spot which I do not have enabled.

KR2018
Sometimes the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality makes sense. I am going to see about disabling that WiFi/Cellular capability in my truck to prevent Ford from pushing down unwanted future changes to my truck. My truck has been running great, so I do not want Ford to push down any updates to my truck over the air. If my truck throws a code then I will be into the shop for repair.

Reactions: KR2018
#9 · (Edited)
I have seen a few references here and in other threads regarding Ford pushing ECM and/or PCM updates OTA (Over-The-Air via Cellular modem) w/o their knowledge.

Let me very clear here: Ford will not and Ford cannot push ECM or PCM updates to your vehicle via OTA Cellular modem or WiFi
= Your truck must be attached to a laptop in order for Ford to update ECM or PCM programming

I spoke with my dealership's Service Manager today and the only things that can be done OTA are:
1.) Sirius XM updates (done via their receiver via Satellite)
2.) Ford Sync Updates
a.) via OTA Cellular modem (if you have paid AT&T for WiFi connectivity)
b.) via a WiFi HotSpot on your cell phone
c.) via your home WiFi network (if you can park your vehicle close enough to your home/business)​

My Service Manager assured me their is no technical method in place today to push ECM or PCM updates to your vehicle automatically.
= I am not saying that isn't possible/feasible, but rather Ford has restricted this functionality and is not currently doing this
= I am also not saying that they may not do this in the future, but they are definitely not doing this now

#10 ·
I have seen a few references here and in other threads regarding Ford pushing ECM and/or PCM updates OTA (Over-The-Air via Cellular modem) w/o their knowledge.

Let me very clear here: Ford will not and Ford cannot push ECM or PCM updates to your vehicle via OTA Cellular modem or WiFi
= Your truck must be attached to a laptop in order for Ford to update ECM or PCM programming

I spoke with my dealership's Service Manager today and the only things that can be done OTA are:
1.) Sirius XM updates (done via their receiver via Satellite)
2.) Ford Sync Updates
a.) via OTA Cellular modem (if you have paid AT&T for WiFi connectivity)
b.) via a WiFi HotSpot on your cell phone
c.) via your home WiFi network (if you can park your vehicle close enough to your home/business)​

My Service Manager assured me their is no technical method in place today to push ECM or PCM updates to your vehicle
automatically.
= I am not saying that isn't possible/feasible, but rather Ford has restricted this functionality and is not currently doing this
= I am also not saying that they may not do this in the future, but they are definitely not doing this now
I would share this article with your ford Service Manager and see what his comment is because it clearly states Ford is a new member and the article discusses ECM OTA update capability.

https://www.windriver.com/news/press/pr.html?ID=21668

KR 2018

#11 ·
OTA FordPass module updates only. THEY DO NOT PUSH ECM UPDATES!!! Period. End of story.

Reactions: navyR113
#13 ·
Ok,
Just some strange things going on in a few peoples trucks that has us wondering!

Probably just glitches!

I know the APIM is the Sync Module, that is where the modems are located.

It’s just that your laptop and phone have these same modems in them too and that is how program system and generic updates are delivered to them.

It is not impossible to do that with this technology as well.

KR2018

#12 ·
I would say the compatibility is there to push over the air functionality updates to the onboard bus systems. I am not sure if Ford is or is not currently doing this. All I can say is my screen displayed like the OPs comments a DPF re gen in process message, is it an onboard hard clean where it only occurs out of so many regens I do not know. I do know that I saw the screen and a Forscan has never been attached to my truck, still have the bone jarring double honk which I hate.

#17 ·
Quote " This is something the Service Manager and technicians would not be associated with.

They can only load an entire new PCM update. This technology does line by line code update within the PCM module itself.

Just like in windows when you do a security update.

That is what I think they are doing now, testing the system on a few of us. Nothing that will disrupt the truck and goes away after one use (I hope).

They are changing lines of code and then backing out the update after one use... " end quote

I would very much doubt that, much too big a risk to take sending unsolicited updates/changes to a non-control audience. Liability could be HUGE if it had any unintended effects. If they were doing a Beta test they would likely use Fords own fleet vehicles where they already have access and can control the outcomes

#21 · (Edited)
@KR2018 - I am not saying that the technology doesn't exist to do this nor that this can't be done...
What I am saying is that my 2018 For F150 Platinum PS Diesel does not have this capability enabled (period)

The Wind River Edge Sync "press announce" you point reference is dated October 2018, which is:
= more than a month after I took delivery of my vehicle
= more than 2 months after my vehicle came of the assembly line
= more than 8 months after the books opened for F150 PS Diesels
= more than a year or 2 after the design for a 2018 Ford 150 was laid down
so I am pretty sure (with near 100% confidence) that this new technology is not in my 2018 Ford F150

I have no doubt that Ford will be using this OTA technology to push updates in the future, but my guess would be 2020 at the earliest but probably 2021 0r 2022.

I think we should focus on what could be causing you to go down this unknown/rare code path, but it is safe to assume the gremlins are not coming from OTA ECM or PCM updates....

#22 ·
You are probably right, but the modems are in all sync 3 devices. The 2018 model year has the lates capability and was recently enhanced with Waze capability.

I checked my sync 3 version and I am on version 3.0. I checked it a couple weeks ago and I thought it was version 3.1 but Didn’t write it down so may be just my memory...I have auto updates enabled.

2019 vehicles are up to version 3.3.

Glitches don’t create graphics. Especially in two different trucks that are identical.
But there could be some old data that is still in the code that could have glitched in.

Let’s say the original code was what I saw (cleaning) and then it was changed to give the % of fill like we have now at a later date.

Then at the next sync 3 boot it goes back to the new code.

I’ve seen my Sync3 do some strange stuff....like I always use the front camera with zoom when parking in a parking lot to mak sure I don’t get too close to the car in front of me.
Once and only once the front camera would not come on. Then when I came back to the truck and started it the camera worked again. Never failed since.

I did go into the engineering data by holding the ok button while starting the truck and then adjusting the LOM to correctly post my MPG like I hand calculate.

I don’t think that could have caused it because I started the truck several times before it went into regen.

Guess we should just wait and see if any other members experience this.

KR2018

#24 ·
@KR2018 - I've gone back and re-read your original post again, and I guess I missed this, but you are saying that you have always had a % Full reading in the Diesel Particulate Filter Status section in your heads-up IPC?

Noticed change in the filter cleaning process today.

A dimly lit screen that read Diesel Particulate Filter Status..... Cleaning displayed with an OK in the lower right corner of the box. I pressed ok and box went away.

Then I selected The screen to display the Diesel Particulate Filter Status and it said cleaning.

It no longer gave the percent of fill on the screen throughout the remaining Regen process :frown2: now I don’t know where it is in the process.

I HAVE NOT been back to the dealer or done any FORscan changes.

The only thing that I have done since the last regen is to correct the displayed MPG to what I actually calculate.

This is done without FORscan.
This is interesting because AFAIK this panel is normally not available to owners and has to be enabled by the dealer or via FORScan -- @kdjasper, @wreedsvt, and myself have all added this panel via FORScan.

I have had the Diesel Particulate Filter Status panel enabled for so long that I have grown accustomed to it always being there (I look at it daily), but normally there is no indication whatsoever to the owner. Without this % Full Display, you are correct = you have no idea where you are in the Regen process! I have griped about this transparency in more than one thread on these forums.

Maybe a better question is to ask your dealer where the display went, as you are saying that you have always had this display?

Could your dealer have possibly enabled the Diesel Particulate Filter Status display and it got wiped out with one of the reprogramming FSAs?
Did you purchase your truck new? If new, was it previously a dealership loaner or demo vehicle?

I'm thinking somewhat at your dealership turned it on and a service procedure then defaulted you back to the "normal" behavior.

Normally this Diesel Particulate Filter Status panel is hidden to any owner except those who have enabled it via FORScan.

#25 ·
@KR2018 - I've gone back and re-read your original post again, and I guess I missed this, but you are saying that you have always had a % Full reading in the Diesel Particulate Filter Status section in your heads-up IPC?

This is interesting because AFAIK this panel is normally not available to owners and has to be enabled by the dealer or via FORScan -- @kdjasper, @wreedsvt, and myself have all added this panel via FORScan.

I have had the Diesel Particulate Filter Status panel enabled for so long that I have grown accustomed to it always being there (I look at it daily), but normally there is no indication whatsoever to the owner. Without this % Full Display, you are correct = you have no idea where you are in the Regen process! I have griped about this transparency in more than one thread on these forums.

Maybe a better question is to ask your dealer where the display went, as you are saying that you have always had this display?

Could your dealer have possibly enabled the Diesel Particulate Filter Status display and it got wiped out with one of the reprogramming FSAs?
Did you purchase your truck new? If new, was it previously a dealership loaner or demo vehicle?

I'm thinking somewhat at your dealership turned it on and a service procedure then defaulted you back to the "normal" behavior.

Normally this Diesel Particulate Filter Status panel is hidden to any owner except those who have enabled it via FORScan.
Yes, I enabled the display via forscan. Have been using it for some time now, came in real handy on a long trip so it would not auto regen at 300 miles.

The difference this regen was when I selected the Diesel Particulate Filter Status, it only said cleaning, not the usual 100.95.90,etc. countdown. It also sent to Fordpass the message that it was cleaning. Maybe Fordpass has something to do with this, because I have never had a message in My Fordpass Account that it was cleaning and under the tabs it said to drive at least 30 mph until the regen process is complete.

If you want I can open those up and attach the file again.

If you look at the icon on the FordPass message it is the same icon that is displayed when you turn off auto regen.

Like someone said this may be a special regen at 11,000 miles or so, but I would think I’m not the only one at that mileage.

I don’t think it is Forscan related because it has happened to non Forscan user.

Have you ever gotten a message in your Fordpass account saying the truck was in Regen and gave instructions how to drive it while in regen?

KR2018

#28 ·
Interesting discussion. I am on my 1st trip pulling a 24 ft RV and left home at 80%. As others have noted passive regen occurred and it slowly ticked down to 30% but then in about 50 miles dropped quickly to 0% and remained there.

#29 ·
I've found that there is a "deeper" regen that occurs if you go a certain amount over 100% full on the IPC. I found that it occurred at 120% of the open loop (OL) soot loading calculation. I recently reached an exhaust filter full indication on a highway trip, but had a very low closed loop (CL) soot load and good dP, so I decided to delay the regen. When the IPC said DPF full, I was really only at 41% full CL (direct measurement) and getting good passive regen so CL was going down while OL was going up. I ended the trip at 25% CL and 111% OL. I then had to do several short trips, none long enough to start a regen. Thus I reached 120% OL and got the attached message that OP referenced. I was only at 55% CL at that point so wasn't really concerned, but I had went 458 miles so decided to do the regen. This regen took 35 minutes and although the %full wasn't displayed on the IPC, the soot load calculations went down on the usual curve. Also attached the FordPass message for reference.

Attachments

#32 ·
Did you also get a FordPass message? Was it the same as what I got? When you say "the dpf is full I'm sure," how do you know this? What were your soot load calcs at the time?

Perhaps this "different" regen occurs every so often based on mileage or number of regens or, in my case, an overload status? I encountered it on regen #48 and 14,365 miles. What mileage did you encounter it?

#37 ·
Yes Sir.

#38 · (Edited)
@KR2018 - since we know that you are FORScan enabled and have been deactivating Auto Regens to push past the 300 mile cap, can you share some information with us?

1.) Are you actively managing your regens by driving uninterrupted for 15-20 miles when you are 100% Full? Or are you just driving your truck normally?
a.) Your highway mileage should be helping keep your DPF really clean
b.) Your short interval trips will fill up your DPF quickly and if not actively managed, you may be in short-cycling your DPF (not getting to 0% on every regen)​
2.) From FORScan, what is your average distance between Regenerations (DFP_REGN_AVGD)? (see attached scan)

3.) From FORScan, what are your last five (5) Regeneration distances? (see attached scan)
a.) DIST_LAST_DPF
b.) DIST_DPF_LAST_2ND
c.) DIST_DPF_2ND_3RD
d.) DIST_DPF_3RD_4TH
e.) DIST_DPF_4TH_5TH​
4.) From FORScan, what are your readings for: (see attached scan)
a.) DIST_TRVL_EXFUL (Distanced traveled while Exhaust Filter Full)
b.) DIST_TRVL_EXOL (Distance traveled while Exhaust Filter Over Limit)​

I think you and @CYODESL are on the right track, as the both of you and @jamanrr are the only ones who have gotten the alert in Ford Pass for an explicit DPF cleaning.

My guess is that all of you are going down a special path when "normal" DPF regens are not enough and the computer senses you need a "maintenance" DPF regen.

I'm hoping your FORScan stats will show maybe your DPF was full/over-limit due to short-cycling = something I have alluded to previously as a potential F150 PS Diesel ownership "surprise"

Sorry to hear about your wife...

Attachments

#39 ·
I've attached a FORScan screenshot of the last time I checked mine a couple weeks ago, where my average distance between regens is now at 293.3 miles.

All the last 5 regens are without any fuel additive. I ran out of the Fuel Ox, so based on some others commenting they didn't see a change using it, I have just been running Premium Diesel (biodiesel here in MN) which includes additive with the fuel. In fact, I have only been putting Premium Diesel in my truck since the 1st tank from the dealership ran out. I'm probably going to order up some more Fuel Ox, because since I stopped using it it seems I am like 40% Full after driving 40 miles from the last active regen, and I don't recall experiencing this rapid % Full gain early in the cycle when I was using the Fuel Ox.

I use the Operator Commanded Regen capability that I added via FORScan to uncheck Auto Regen whenever I know I am approaching 300 miles since the last regen when the DPF % Full is < 85% Full, then I will check the Auto Regen box when I start the next highway run and try to do this before I reach DPF Filter Full message to get an active regen. I also always drive active regens all the way through the cycle instead of stopping them in the middle. I generally do not drive past DPF Filter Full message, although you can see I have done 35.4 miles of such driving, but that 35 miles is more like 5-6 different times when I deferred the start for < 10 miles because of bad timing of when it would have started (e.g., just arriving at a destination).

Attachments

#41 ·
Can you give me a quick tutorial on where the regen and DPF data is located .

I can find the page you displayed, but it is all blank.

I have a usb connected OBDII device connected to a laptop. I’m a MAC person so this windows stuff kind of sucks...
I don’t monitor anything like the WiFi OBDII Device owners do. My only windows device is a cheap laptop I bought to do the FORScan changes.

KR2018

#40 ·
jmperlik
Super Moderator
@KR2018 - since we know that you are FORScan enabled and have been deactivating Auto Regens to push past the 300 mile cap, can you share some information with us?

ILL ANSWER IN ALL CAPS SO ITT IS EASIER TO READ.....NOT YELLLLINGGG.

1.) Are you actively managing your regens by driving uninterrupted for 15-20 miles when you are 100% Full? Or are you just driving your truck normally? NO, I ALWAYS ALLOW IT TO REGEN WHEN IT IS 100% FULL. I SIMPLY USE IT TO KEEP FROM STARTING A REGEN IF IT CALLS FOR IT WHEN I AM CLOSE TO HOME. 5 miles over at the very most. WHEN HOME I USUALLY HIGHWAY DRIVE IT UNTIL IT IS AT 0%

a.) Your highway mileage should be helping keep your DPF really clean IT PASSIVELY REGENS WHEN I PULL MY BOAT OR CONTINUOUS HIGHWAY DRIVING AT 70 MPH ON A LONG TRIP.

b.) Your short interval trips will fill up your DPF quickly and if not actively managed, you may be in short-cycling your DPF (not getting to 0% on every regen) IF I AM ABLE I DRIVE THE TRUCK UNTIL IT FINISHES IT’S REGEN TO 0%. BUT SOMETIMES IT DOES A SHORT REGEN SINCE I AM UNABLE TO KEEP DRIVING IT DUE TO TIME COMMITMENT (DR. APPOINTMENT, ETC.)

MY LONG TRIP COMES ONCE A YEAR WHEN I DRIVE FROM FLORIDA TO WISCONSIN. IT NEVER GOES OVER 70% ON THE TRIP, BUT I ALLOW IT TO REGEN ONCE OR TWICE A DAY.
I TRAVEL APROX 900 THE FIRST DAY AND 300 THE SECOND DAY.

THIS YEARS TRIP WAS IN JULY AND IT MAY HAVE ROLLED PAST THE FORSCAN DATA THAT IT KEEPS.

IT SEEMS TO REGEN FREQUENTLY SINCE I DRIVE SHORT DISTANCES.

2.) From FORScan, what is your average distance between Regenerations (DFP_REGN_AVGD)? (see attached scan)

3.) From FORScan, what are your last five (5) Regeneration distances? (see attached scan)
a.) DIST_LAST_DPF
b.) DIST_DPF_LAST_2ND
c.) DIST_DPF_2ND_3RD
d.) DIST_DPF_3RD_4TH
e.) DIST_DPF_4TH_5TH
4.) From FORScan, what are your readings for: (see attached scan)
a.) DIST_TRVL_EXFUL (Distanced traveled while Exhaust Filter Full)
b.) DIST_TRVL_EXOL (Distance traveled while Exhaust Filter Over Limit)
I think you and @CYODESL are on the right track, as the both of you and @jamanrr are the only ones who have gotten the alert in Ford Pass for an explicit DPF cleaning.

My guess is that all of you are going down a special path when "normal" DPF regens are not enough and the computer senses you need a "maintenance" DPF regen.

I'm hoping your FORScan stats will show maybe your DPF was full/over-limit due to short-cycling = something I have alluded to previously as a potential F150 PS Diesel ownership "surprise"

I DID HAVE THE DEALER INSTALL THE “California” PCM UPDATE THAT CHANGES THE WAY THE TRUCK RESPONDS TO A REGEN REQUEST.

I DID THIS WHEN I FIRST GOT THE TRUCK, SO I DON’T KNOW HOW IT REGENS PREVIOUS TO THE UPDATE.

NOW IF IT CALLS FOR A REGEN AND YOU ONLY GETS IT DOWN TO 85% CLEAN BEFORE YOU SHUT IT OFF, IT WILL NOT CONTINUE THE REGEN WHEN IT IS RESTARTED. IT HAS TO GET UP TO 100% AGAIN BEFORE IT WILL STAET THE REGEN AGAIN.

WISH WE HAD A WAY TO INITIATE A REGEN BEFORE IT GETS TO 100%, BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW WE CAN ONLY STOP IT FROM DOING A REGEN.

I WILL GATHER THE FORSCAN DATA WHEN TIME ALLOWS.

KR2018

#49 · (Edited)
@KR2018 - OK, good to see you got things working...

I don't see anything bad in the stats you have posted, in fact, your stats are much better than mine, so I would expect my getting one of the "maintenance" DPF regens before you would. I'm not too concerned with the 16.1 miles for DIST_TRVL_EXFUL, as I occasionally disable Auto Regen until I can get to my designated blow-out stretch of road.

Can you add the other DPF related PIDs that I had in the screen capture and post back?

At this point we are just fishing for a FORScan stat that looks off as some sort of indicator as to why you got a "maintenance" DPF regen...

#50 ·
@KR2018 - OK, good to see you got things working...

I don't see anything bad in the stats you have posted, in fact, your stats are much better than mine, so I would expect my getting one of the "maintenance" DPF regens before you would. I'm not too concerned with the 16.1 miles for DIST_TRVL_EXFUL, as occasionally disable Auto Regen until I can get to my designated blow-out stretch of road.

Can you add the other DPF related PIDs that I had in the screen capture and post back?

At this point we are just fishing for a FORScan stat that looks off as some sort of indicator as to why you got a "maintenance" DPF regen...
Think I got them all!

Attachments

#51 ·
I am almost certain that my regen was not caused by an over the air update, but by a regeneration program that is in our trucks to extend the life of the Particulate filter. I believe it will be invoked when the truck’s process calls for it to be more thoroughly cleaned.

That said we will see over the air updates in the future if not already in some vehicles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=ITgDAtcf4Hc

KR2018

#52 · (Edited)
All my values say, zero, lol

Here is a good one. :)

Attachments

#54 ·
@wreedsvt did your Range on the DEF reset back to reality yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.