3.0 Powerstroke Timing Belt - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dunrollin
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Unread 09-28-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

3.0 Powerstroke Timing Belt

I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isn’t anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

There is a YouTube video of a 3.0 PS with the truck shell taken off and the guy shows that there are 2 belts, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back that would need to be changed. Is this accurate?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Unread 09-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Can you post the video?

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4 | Icon 2.5 Front & 2.0 Rear, Toyo AT II 295/60R20, 3" ProComp Rear Block, S&B Dry CAI, LineX & BakFlip MX4, BuiltRight Seat Release | ForScan Mods: Disable Double Honk, 2x Panic, DPF Full %, Digital Temps Above Gauges, A.S.S Disabled
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Unread 09-28-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetisov22 View Post
I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isnít anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

There is a YouTube video of a 3.0 PS with the truck shell taken off and the guy shows that there are 2 belts, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back that would need to be changed. Is this accurate?
Yes there is one in the front for the cams, then one in the rear for the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the fuel pump belt needs to be changed as often as the main belt, but I would probably do both at the same time. There is a video of how to do it on the 3.0 land rovers which I've attached here - there's 3 parts to it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Unread 09-29-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreedsvt View Post
Can you post the video?
https://youtu.be/c8kAJsueDuk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Unread 09-29-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laytunes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetisov22 View Post
I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isn’t anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

Yes there is one in the front for the cams, then one in the rear for the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the fuel pump belt needs to be changed as often as the main belt, but I would probably do both at the same time. There is a video of how to do it on the 3.0 land rovers which I've attached here - there's 3 parts to it.

Gonna watch this and hopefully it’s not as bad as I worry it is! I wanna keep my truck past 150k and so I’ll have to wrestle with this at some point!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Unread 10-02-2019, 12:35 PM

The rear belt cover seems to just have 2 clips on top to get it off. I am betting the pros will remove the cab to do it right. Apparently it only takes 8 bolts to remove the cab, plus cables, steering and so on. I would love to see a video on someone doing both belts on our diesels.

If you did pull the cab it would be a good time to clean everything in sight.
kdjasper likes this.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Unread 10-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunrollin View Post
The rear belt cover seems to just have 2 clips on top to get it off. I am betting the pros will remove the cab to do it right. Apparently it only takes 8 bolts to remove the cab, plus cables, steering and so on. I would love to see a video on someone doing both belts on our diesels.

If you did pull the cab it would be a good time to clean everything in sight.

dam that means, it could be 5-10 grand to do a timing belt job on these trucks. Gosh I hope not.