Diesel F150 Forum banner

3.0 Powerstroke Timing Belt

29K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  STUFF2C 
#1 ·
I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isn’t anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

There is a YouTube video of a 3.0 PS with the truck shell taken off and the guy shows that there are 2 belts, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back that would need to be changed. Is this accurate?

#2 ·
Can you post the video?

#3 ·
Yes there is one in the front for the cams, then one in the rear for the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the fuel pump belt needs to be changed as often as the main belt, but I would probably do both at the same time. There is a video of how to do it on the 3.0 land rovers which I've attached here - there's 3 parts to it.

#5 ·
I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isn’t anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

There is a YouTube video of a 3.0 PS with the truck shell taken off and the guy shows that there are 2 belts, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back that would need to be changed. Is this accurate?
Yes there is one in the front for the cams, then one in the rear for the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the fuel pump belt needs to be changed as often as the main belt, but I would probably do both at the same time. There is a video of how to do it on the 3.0 land rovers which I've attached here - there's 3 parts to it.

Gonna watch this and hopefully it’s not as bad as I worry it is! I wanna keep my truck past 150k and so I’ll have to wrestle with this at some point!

#6 ·
The rear belt cover seems to just have 2 clips on top to get it off. I am betting the pros will remove the cab to do it right. Apparently it only takes 8 bolts to remove the cab, plus cables, steering and so on. I would love to see a video on someone doing both belts on our diesels.

If you did pull the cab it would be a good time to clean everything in sight.

#13 ·
@Spenc098 You are the technician I want to work on my equipment- you insist on getting it perfect before you proceed. I guess you are the first one here attempting this job and of course I am no help whatsoever. The only time I have seen this done is on the excellent videos posted by piston broke. He was at the exact point you are in this video: . He begins timing at about 7 minutes in and he does have a trick or two.

Please do post what you can. A lot of us are going to cross this bridge someday and you are leading the way. Best of luck to you to get it done ASAP and perfect. Thank you for posting.

#14 ·
@Dunrollin - thanks for posting the link to this video!

Kudos to piston broke for video-documenting this procedure.

Based on watching this video, my take-aways are:
  • Big timing belt is on front of engine/smaller one for fuel pump is on back
  • Timing procedure appears to be straight-forward (at least the way he explained it)
    • Key is new tensioner
  • I don't see how to do this without the cab and engine removed
  • No way I would ever attempt this myself!
  • If this needs to be done at 150K miles, I'll be selling my truck at 145K miles

#16 ·
It's not that bad to do. lots of engines have timing belts which are replaced as part of routine maintenance. It's all done in cab, all you have to do is remove the fan and a few other things to access the timing cover, pop it off, set the pins, unbolt and replace the pulleys, tensioner, belt as desired, set the timing as per manual, crank it over manually to confirm, replace cover and whatever else you removed. Probably an 8 hour job, but much cheaper than a new truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.