DPF Piping - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Have a diesel exhaust smell making it's way into the cab. If you haven't seen any of my previous posts, I have had bad luck with the turbo and other things. Truck was in the shop over a month as they couldn't figure it out. Ever since they replaced my turbo, the dealer has not been able to get the flange sealed well behind the turbo. Found the leak in my first picture.

Checked everything out and may have found a bigger problem. The accordion pipe at the back of the dpf appears to be deteriorating badly. See second and third pics. The wire mesh is gone in this area as well. There is a hole in the accordion portion. Anyone ever seen this? I am making an appointment with the dealer but I would imagine the dpf needs to be replaced. It almost looks like def fluid is running back a bit and corroding this section. Not sure if it can do that. We will see what the dealer says.

Edit....cant seem to upload pics. Will try later

Last edited by fharrison; 10-10-2019 at 08:09 PM.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

See pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191010_183905.jpg (216.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20191010_183222.jpg (179.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20191010_183959.jpg (194.8 KB, 55 views)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:07 PM

The mesh looks like it was melted with a torch. Hope they get you up and running soon

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

@fharrison - how many miles on your odometer now?

Definitely looks like something is leaking in that area and being burned off, based on all of the rust and that much of the mesh screen already gone = doesn't look right for a truck < 2 years old...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmperlik View Post
@fharrison - how many miles on your odometer now?

Definitely looks like something is leaking in that area and being burned off, based on all of the rust and that much of the mesh screen already gone = doesn't look right for a truck < 2 years old...
27,800 miles. Almost 1 year old. There is a hole in the outer fold of the accordion section. It looks like it is corroding from the inside. I wonder if that area was heated badly during a regen.

My only other thought is that the def injection is about 8" behind this area and some of the fluid is running back into this area. Could it cause this kind of corrosion? Pipe appears to be angled back to this point slightly.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

OK, you're putting some pretty good annual mileage on your truck, which I think you have mentioned before...

Can I ask how your DEF consumption is?

From the pics, I am guessing your latter suspicion is what I would guess = small hole in the accordion pipe where DEF is weeping thru and soaking that mesh jacket.

The flow of liquid combined with a constant heat/cool cycle of the exhaust system from driving has created the perfect environment for rust.

The entire exhaust system gets hot according to the EGTs in FORScan, so me thinks you have pretty good science fair project going on here w/title: Environment to create accelerated rust

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; 10-11-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, you're putting some pretty good annual mileage on your truck, which I think you have mentioned before...

Can I ask how your DEF consumption is?

From the pics, I am guessing your latter suspicion is what I would guess = small hole in the accordion pipe where DEF is weeping thru and soaking that mesh jacket.

The flow of liquid combined with a constant heat/cool cycle of the exhaust system from driving has created the perfect environment for rust.

The entire exhaust system gets hot according to the EGTs in FORScan, so me thinks you have pretty good science fair project going on here w/title: Environment to create accelerated rust
My def usage has been very good when not towing. Close to 8,000 miles to a tank when not towing. Towing sucks the def. Maybe 900 miles to a tank.

Dealer appt on Wednesday. I would imagine a new dpf is needed as it's all one piece.
justlucky likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

@fharrison - what did the dealer have to say? Did he order a new DPF for you?

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
@fharrison - what did the dealer have to say? Did he order a new DPF for you?
Still waiting to hear. Dropped it off yesterday morning. I will report back.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Just heard back from dealer. They are replacing the dpf assembly. It appears that it must have heated that rear portion of pipe to the point of oxidizing.

If anyone is crawling around under their truck, I would just take a look at the accordion section behind the dpf. I am curious if this has happened to anyone else or if my problem was caused by the bad turbo.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page