Oil change via top-side extractor? - Ford F150 Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmperlik

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Oil change via top-side extractor?

Hey everyone.

New to the forum, and to the F-150. Recently purchased a 2018 w/ the 3.0 powerstroke. Not new to diesels but my experience has mostly been VW TDIs. VW indicates topside oil changes for the newer TDIs using an extractor. Its clean, fast, and does a really great job of sucking all the gunk out, better even I think than a traditional gravity oil change. Filters are canister-type and located as to be accessed easily from under the hood looking down.

My question then is this: the way that the 3.0 is set up, it seems like it is BEGGING for a topside oil change, almost as if some engineer designed it that way. Furthermore, all the stuff I've seen on DIY oil changes makes it seem like a PITA to get done in the traditional manner. Anyone know of any good reason that you COULDN'T change the oil with an extractor? Or better yet: has anyone tried this method? If its explicitly cautioned against, then the good ol' fashioned way it is I guess.

Cross-posted this on F150forum, hope that doesn't tick anyone off... I can't quite figure which site has the best platform support yet so I guess I'll just try both haha

Thanks!

2018 Ford F-150 Platinum 3.0L Powerstroke FX4 Ruby Red Metallic
2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI Pano 6sp Platinum Gray Metallic

Last edited by jmperlik; Today at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added more descriptive title
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

@seallworth - Welcome to our little club and congrats on your 2018 F150 PowerStroke purchase!

For any new members purchasing a 2018 model (new or used), I point them at the START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) thread to ensure that FSA 18E02 has been performed.

Good question on the top-side oil change! Not sure what Ford's official position is -- I don't have one as my Ford dealer handles all of my oil changes under an Extended Maintenance plan, but I am sure other will chime in with their knowledge and opinions...

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; Yesterday at 09:44 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 01:00 PM

I did the extractor method on my first oil change only to discover it didnít remove all the oil, (almost two quarts) from the pan. It seems there might be some kind of baffle or screen that limits access to the lower part of the oil pan by way of the dipstick tube. Did my second oil change the traditional way on ramps and pulling the drain plug, was very easy to do.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 02:47 PM

I have done about 4 changes on a 3.0. Not too bad really. I can do it without spilling a drop usually, which I can't do with my 5.0 V8. I have heard some of the new auto start stop engines don't have a clear path to the oil sump and they can't be siphoned, not sure about the 3.0.

I did as suggested by someone earlier- drill a large hole in the "diaper" so you can access the drain plug without removing the diaper. Easy peasy.

2013 F150 5.0 XLT
2018 F150 3.0 Platinum Ruby Red
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

@Silver Super D
Solid take. This is exactly what I was afraid of. Looks like I'll be underneath the truck then.

2018 Ford F-150 Platinum 3.0L Powerstroke FX4 Ruby Red Metallic
2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI Pano 6sp Platinum Gray Metallic
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

@seallworth - from Page 18 of the 3.0L Ford F-150 Diesel Coffee Table Book it looks there is a serious baffle to get around (see attached pics) hence why @Silver Super D was prevented from extracting everything in the pan....

The description next to the pictures specifically mention this baffle:
Oil Pan: The oil pan is the reservoir for the engine oil. It incorporates a baffle to keep the engine oil from splashing which prevents aeration and foaming.
Others have gone the Fumoto F107 route discussed in this thread: Engine Oil Drain Plug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F150DieselOilPanBaffle.jpg (129.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg F150DieselOilPanBottom.jpg (113.7 KB, 4 views)
Laytunes likes this.

2018 Ford 150 PS Diesel Platinum FX4 in Ingot Silver w/BuiltRight Rear Seat Release, Gatorback F150 Splash Guards, Lloyd Custom F150 Luxe Carpet Mats & Titan 40 gal replacement fuel tank
FORScan mods: Auto Start/Stop Disabled, Bambi mode, Digital Temps Above Gauges, DPF Full %, OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) and Heated & Cooled seats on Home screen

Last edited by jmperlik; Today at 08:32 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page