Diesel F150 Forum banner

Green Diesel Engineering!

29K views 71 replies 21 participants last post by  GreenDiesel 
#1 ·
#4 ·
At this point we have not started development on the F150 3.0l diesel. We should be receiving a new truck in April for development. It will most likely take a solid year of testing before we release tuning as we need to perform on-road testing, trailer tow testing (Eisenhower Pass), high ambient testing (Davis Dam) and Las Vegas city traffic, cold testing, drive ability testing, etc. We tend to take our time and want to get it correct before releasing to the field.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

G
#5 ·
Any Update for us?

Hello GDE,

Any update on the Tune for the F150? I've had your product in my Eco Diesel Jeeps and loved what you did with the Tune. Eger to see what you all come up with for the F150.

#21 ·
We have a test tune running on our F150 powerstroke. Thus far the intake is staying clean /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif and the fuel economy is up 3-4mpg. We have not worked on the torque curve yet. Focusing on dialing in the part load fuel economy first. Hope to have something ready this fall.
I picked up my 2018 King Ranch 3.0 Powerstroke today! How's the testing and development on the tune coming along GDE?

Attachments

#7 ·
These guys are the best! How do I know, have their tune on my Ram! Worth the wait for the F150, I think. BTW, AT 10,000 mile oil change intervals, my Ram's oil still looks new, no more soot, 4 more mpg's and 240 rwhp and 410 ft lbs , yup, at the rear wheels.

#8 ·
@GreenDiesel ...

I've never ran a tune on a truck before, but what I have been reading in the forum about the upcoming GDE tune and it likely providing a "software EGR delete" has me interested, in that if we can keep the exhaust from recirculating and have cleaner oil I would think that would be a good thing for the longevity of the engine.

It also seems the GDE tune may reduce soot output and stretch out distance needed between Active Regens, although to accomplish that we may have to disable Auto Regen in Settings via OCR enabled through FORScan--unless the GDE tune will alter the forced Active Regen interval set by Ford at 300 miles.

So that is the question, will GDE alter the forced Active Regen interval set by Ford at 300 miles to a longer interval (if this is even possible)? I'm not sure why Ford did this instead of just having the Active Regens only trigger at DPF 100% Full.

Thanks, and we are all looking to hear more news about the upcoming GDE tune for our trucks.

#9 ·
Subscribing

#11 ·
If this tune dramatically increases time between active regens (which it seems like it may, if the ecodiesel forums are indicators) and the vehicle will still pass state emission testing, both GDE and Ford will get a sale. My required driving makes owning a diesel imprudent in the mean time. Oil life extension is a nice benefit, but honestly if the only nuisance of diesel ownership was more frequent oil changes I wouldn't have given it a second thought. I can accept potential loss of engine warranty with a good engine.

#12 ·
If you can accept a void engine warranty then delete it. Plenty already have. Not any members on here, but check out the 3.0L Powerstroke group on Facebook.

What state do you live in? Pretty much any state other than CA, you really have no issues. Maybe a few really liberal ones.

#13 ·
I just sent an email to support@greendieselengineering.com with the question I presented to them in my last post in this thread. If they don't reply inline in this thread, I will post the response I get back.

#14 ·
Okay, I got an email response from Green Diesel Engineering support within 3 hours this morning on a Saturday! Wow, what service!

Question: Will GDE alter the forced Active Regen interval set by Ford at 300 miles to a longer interval (if this is even possible)? I'm not sure why Ford did this instead of just having the Active Regens only trigger at DPF 100% Full.

Answer:

"Kevin,

We are looking for regen thresholds, but it is very difficult and time consuming to find the parameters. For sure, we will not release a tune until it meets our acceptance standards. On the Ram ecodiesel our tune regens on average once every 700 miles. Stock on that application was about every 150 miles.

Thanks for your interest.

GDE"

So, it looks like I will be seriously interested in the GDE tuner when it becomes available, and this would be possibly some good news to potential buyers like @snowshew who is contemplating a future purchase.

Reactions: navyR113
#16 ·
On my tuned Ecodiesel, almost always, Regens are in the 700-775 mile range. I believe, from what other Ram Ecodiesel folks say, if you tow with the tune you may get even more miles between regens. Honestly think you guys will be better off with GDE tuning, which should help your motors last longer and give a mild increase in power, then a "balls to the wall" maximum power tune. BTW, the chart on GDE's site is very close to what my Ecodiesel put down on a Mustang Dyno. My rear tires wore out at 40,000 miles, fronts still look about 50%...... I probably sound like a GDE fanboy, but I would only trade for a F150 diesel, if I knew GDE supported it!

Attachments

#17 ·
My rear tires wore out at 40,000 miles, fronts still look about 50%......

@hydrex were you not rotating your tires every 5,000 miles or so in those 40,000 miles to get them to wear evenly?

Reactions: hydrex
#23 ·
It's understandable. They need to focus their efforts where the bigger problems- and therefore the money- are. The Ecodiesels need more fixing out of the gate (and I say that having had one for three years). Luckily I didn't have any real issues with mine, but it was **** near undriveable without being tuned. The stock powerstroke drives comparable to a tuned ecodiesel, and GDE does really good work so I can't wait to see what they come up with for this platform.

#28 ·
Proven has emissions on 0HP and 50HP tunes if anyone is interested. Several guys have been running them and are extremely happy with results.

#30 ·
100lb ft increase. Regen about the same. No TCM tuning.

#32 ·
Might as well look into Proven. There are several emission on users in the 3.0l Facebook group. PM me for details if interested.

#34 ·
I'm pretty sure this is dead...

#35 ·
Here are the Proven tunes ready to go.

Attachments

#36 ·
Thats really too bad if it is.. Proven's tune doesn't touch some very key perimeters that i want to see in a tune that GED supposedly would. The biggest being a turbo brake, transmission and reduced re-generation of the DPF.

As someone with some tuning experience i really like the advertised approach that GDE claims to adhere too.

#37 ·
Dunno what to tell ya. Many happy happy Proven users. Good luck in your search.

#40 ·
Yea, I hear good things about them, their shop is about an hour from my house, so is AMPD actually.

The reason I am waiting to see if GDE comes out with a tune for our trucks is I am actually quite satisfied with the factory power levels and drivability, like I said in my earlier post, a turbo brake for towing paired with the factory grade shifting and lessened re-gens would really make a great package even better.

if I was after a delete or more power I wouldn't have any reason to wait, and I still may try Proven come bonus season in February.. just to try a delete tune to see how I like it.

Does anyone in a colder climate have experience with the warmup ∆t with the EGR bypassed/deleted ? would it even affect warmup times or does the EGR stay closed until its warmed up ?

Last week it was -15 degC as expected the truck started like a champ, warmup took ~20 min with moderate inner city stop and go traffic.

#39 ·
I have also seen a couple guys running their tunes with positive results

#42 ·
Just read a post on Facebook that GDE is shutdown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.