Diesel F150 Forum banner

2017 Ford F-150 Is Packing A Diesel Engine

14K views 34 replies 5 participants last post by  BluePill 
#1 ·

Ford has put the 2017 F-150 on display at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and their best-selling pickup is finally getting a diesel engine.

For the first time, the F-150 powertrain choices will include a new turbocharged 3.0-litre V6 diesel and it’s expected to the most fuel efficient F-150 in the automaker’s lineup. Specifications have not been released yet, but the engine can be found in Land Rover Td6s and it’s cranking out 440 lb-ft of torque in the Rovers.

Joining the diesel is a 5.0-litre V8 engine powerhouse that was in an older F-150. The unit produced 380bhp and 387lb ft of torque and publications like Autocar were told that it’ll have more power and increased efficiency.

Replacing the old entry level 3.5-liter six is a 3.3-liter normally aspirated V6 with 282bhp and 253lb ft of torque. Sitting above it is a 2.7-litre V6 and though Ford has not released the specs for this unit either, we do know that it’ll be paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission and feature dual port and direct injection technology

Not only has the engine lineup been updated, so has the exterior design. Customers will be able to choose from six new wheel options, all 16 trim levels gets one of seven new grille designs, they all come with new LED headlamps, and new bumpers.

The new Ford F-150 is set to go on sale this fall and we can expect to see a starting price of around $26,540.

See less See more
#2 ·
It would be very interesting to have a professional estimate of the coming dieselsales in F-150. 20 %?

Some are predicting 50.000 and others the double.

It´s very difficult to read Fords sales figures as long as they take all F-series in the same lot. For now the combined V6-sales are 70 % in the F-150.

#3 ·
I have no idea about the breakdown of sales with the F-150s but I do know that it was the best selling vehicle in America last year with a total of 820,799 units sold. 5.2% increase in sales. So this is the 40th straight year that is has been the best selling vehicle in America apparently!

#4 ·
The numbers are out there if you look but for a quick example, back in June 2016, F-Series sales topped out at 395, 244. Runner up was the Silverado at 273, 652. Now some of you might say that's F-series as in all the F-series trucks, not just the F150, but how many of the other F-series trucks do you see driving around you?

#5 ·
That's precisely it. Doesn't matter where your located, but you'll always see substantially more F150s than any F series truck. Raptors included. I'm sure that number is going to increase as well. Especially with the diesel coming out and the facelift because it looks darn gorgeous.

#6 ·
Yup.

I remember RAM 1500 Diesels had good road presence in the city and RAM 1500's overall sell well enough for you to spot them.

But unlike the 1500 Diesel, since Ford has plans to bring back the Ranger, we might see those scoop up more city buyers than the F-150 Diesel does. If people are chasing MPG numbers then the Ranger will help and for a cheaper price

#7 ·
That is true, and we can all see the chase for MPG is real at this point in time and probably for a long while to come. The only thing that I think will skew things is that the F-150 comes with a presence opposed to the Ranger which is smaller and less appealing (IMO). One of those my truck is bigger than yours kinda thing if you catch my drift.

#8 ·
Not at all.

The Ranger will do some slight damage, the sort of damage that happens any time a car maker release products that come close enough to each other, but still there's a great divide. Just breaking down the capability of both, features, and the image it creates for a buyer (among many other things), you'll see the bigger picture.

#18 ·
Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on diesel

Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Land Rover Discovery offer a 3.0-liter turbodiesel that generates 254 hp and 443 pounds-feet of torque.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcsi....0509/BLOG06/305109999/AR/0/diesel-engine1.jpg
I heard that same engine might find its way into the Ranger if it comes to the American markets. Looking forward to the F150 diesel. Only thin that will draw me away is diesel prices going on. Not only will we pay more at the pump but these will devalue faster.

#21 ·
I have always been skeptical about it and retreated to sitting on the sidelines.
What's not helping Fords ability to sell diesels to me is i'm willing to buy a used current gen F150, nothing wrong with that while waiting for an ideal brand new F150. The hybrid is what i'm after.

#22 ·
After hearing of the new Hybrid F150 that's supposed to come out with apparently 5.0 power behind it, I'm interested to see what the outcome is going to be. Thankfully the Diesel F150 isn't out just yet so we still have time to see what the whole diesel scene will play out to be at this point in time but I have a feeling, the hybrid may be the ticket soon for me as well.

#24 ·
Anybody who knows trucks in general, knows for sure that the F-series is leading in sales and has been for quite a long time. That's no surprise. Ford knows what their doing with it and it doesn't need to be questioned.

The only thing is, for how long are these sales going to be going strong until the crackdown hits hard and diesels become extinct. What will happen to the re-sale values?

#28 ·
They have engines rolling off of the line every 40 seconds. Doubling the amount of employees and space is going to be a HUGE ramp up in production. At least we know there won't be a shortage of parts and all of that good stuff. Now once production of the F150 itself is sufficient, people shouldn't be waiting long at all.

#31 ·
That would make sense, I do recall a TDV8 being offered as far back as 2011 however during that time Ford had influence over that development. So how the story goes is these engines were a Ford/LR co-developed power plant/engine tech launched in LR's, now coming to F150's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.