Diesel F150 Forum banner

3.0 engine swap

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Laytunes 
#1 ·
Hello! New member here, looks like a very useful forum. Little background I have a 2017 F150 3.5 eco and a 2020 F150 3.0 Powerstroke. I love my 3.0 and am wondering what would be involved in swapping a 3.0 into my 3.5 truck, I have tracked down an engine. I assume I would also need the complete engine harness and maybe a new gauge cluster for the glow plug light. What do you guys think? Ps i would plan on having the truck deleted so the def system/tank ext will not be an issue

#2 ·
Something tells me if you have to do FORScan programming for changing from factory Halogen to factory LED headlights that you're gonna need more than an engine wiring harness...

Considering the first 3.0L Diesel F150 was a late 2018 model year, the ECM in your 2017 F150 wouldn't even be at a level to support a 3.0L Diesel (if such a change could even be done via FORScan programming and I would be willing to bet it's not) I'm not a Ford engineer but I don't see how this could be done w/o an ECM flash at a minimum, and who knows what you would need beyond that...

F150 Diesels have two (2) fuel filters + a water separator, so you gonna need the whole setup including the fuel lines which I am betting are different due to the two fuel filters.

As many of us are going thru Round #2 of the EGR By-Pass Valve replacement, what would be for your plans for the EGR Cooler assembly? Block it off?

Does your 2017 3.5 Ecoboost have a CAC (Charge Air Cooler) with damper vents? Take a look here what could happen without one: F-150 Diesel Engine and Bullbar interference

2017 was first year for 10-speed transmission and I don't see a bolt-on bell-housing on the transmission, so you are probably OK there in terms of hardware, but no idea if something like the torque converter is different and keeping with above I gotta believe you'd need a TCM flash for a different transmission tune for the 3.0L V6 Diesel.

You talk about deleting in terms of DPF and SCR but muffler and tailpipe is also different = my tailpipe had to be replaced post-delivery after I noticed what was a 2" rusted scratch in what I thought was the removable chrome tip, only to find out that the entire tail pipe assembly needed to be changed out because they chromed just the end of the pipe (all welded)

Just guessing at what your roadblocks might be, so please don't take anything I say as gospel!

BTW - welcome to the forums here with your first post!

#3 ·
Anything can be done, but imho, way more work than it's worth. If you want another F150 with the 3L, would be easier and cheaper to trade. 1 example of a diesel repower that is somewhat popular= 2.8L Cummins to the older Jeeps, BUT, Cummins has done a lot to make the swap easy. I agree with you about liking the "diesel experience" over gas. These 3L diesel motors are sweet, Ford,GM and FCA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.