Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isn’t anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

There is a YouTube video of a 3.0 PS with the truck shell taken off and the guy shows that there are 2 belts, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back that would need to be changed. Is this accurate?

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Can you post the video?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isn’t anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

There is a YouTube video of a 3.0 PS with the truck shell taken off and the guy shows that there are 2 belts, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back that would need to be changed. Is this accurate?
Yes there is one in the front for the cams, then one in the rear for the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the fuel pump belt needs to be changed as often as the main belt, but I would probably do both at the same time. There is a video of how to do it on the 3.0 land rovers which I've attached here - there's 3 parts to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes there is one in the front for the cams, then one in the rear for the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the fuel pump belt needs to be changed as often as the main belt, but I would probably do both at the same time. There is a video of how to do it on the 3.0 land rovers which I've attached here - there's 3 parts to it.

Gonna watch this and hopefully it’s not as bad as I worry it is! I wanna keep my truck past 150k and so I’ll have to wrestle with this at some point!

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
The rear belt cover seems to just have 2 clips on top to get it off. I am betting the pros will remove the cab to do it right. Apparently it only takes 8 bolts to remove the cab, plus cables, steering and so on. I would love to see a video on someone doing both belts on our diesels.

If you did pull the cab it would be a good time to clean everything in sight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The rear belt cover seems to just have 2 clips on top to get it off. I am betting the pros will remove the cab to do it right. Apparently it only takes 8 bolts to remove the cab, plus cables, steering and so on. I would love to see a video on someone doing both belts on our diesels.

If you did pull the cab it would be a good time to clean everything in sight.

dam that means, it could be 5-10 grand to do a timing belt job on these trucks. Gosh I hope not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It won’t be 5-10 grand. I had a new 5.0L switched out in my 2018 by one guy in one day. A long block replacement. Everything is plug and play now a days.

·
Registered
94 Posts
dam that means, it could be 5-10 grand to do a timing belt job on these trucks. Gosh I hope not.
There should be no need to pull the cab to do the rear belt. There's a special tool that goes in by feel to hold everything in place and ensure the timing is correct. You just gotta giver the ol' reach around.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
There should be no need to pull the cab to do the rear belt. There's a special tool that goes in by feel to hold everything in place and ensure the timing is correct. You just gotta giver the ol' reach around.
I think we just found our first candidate for the new NSFW feature on the new forum format! 😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts