Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isn’t anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

There is a YouTube video of a 3.0 PS with the truck shell taken off and the guy shows that there are 2 belts, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back that would need to be changed. Is this accurate?

·
Super Moderator
860 Posts
Can you post the video?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know the 3.0 PS is still fairly new and there probably isn’t anyone close (mileage wise) to needing to change the belt, but has anyone looked into the cost and work needed to change the belt?

There is a YouTube video of a 3.0 PS with the truck shell taken off and the guy shows that there are 2 belts, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back that would need to be changed. Is this accurate?
Yes there is one in the front for the cams, then one in the rear for the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the fuel pump belt needs to be changed as often as the main belt, but I would probably do both at the same time. There is a video of how to do it on the 3.0 land rovers which I've attached here - there's 3 parts to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes there is one in the front for the cams, then one in the rear for the fuel pump. I'm not sure if the fuel pump belt needs to be changed as often as the main belt, but I would probably do both at the same time. There is a video of how to do it on the 3.0 land rovers which I've attached here - there's 3 parts to it.

Gonna watch this and hopefully it’s not as bad as I worry it is! I wanna keep my truck past 150k and so I’ll have to wrestle with this at some point!

·
Super Moderator
559 Posts
The rear belt cover seems to just have 2 clips on top to get it off. I am betting the pros will remove the cab to do it right. Apparently it only takes 8 bolts to remove the cab, plus cables, steering and so on. I would love to see a video on someone doing both belts on our diesels.

If you did pull the cab it would be a good time to clean everything in sight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The rear belt cover seems to just have 2 clips on top to get it off. I am betting the pros will remove the cab to do it right. Apparently it only takes 8 bolts to remove the cab, plus cables, steering and so on. I would love to see a video on someone doing both belts on our diesels.

dam that means, it could be 5-10 grand to do a timing belt job on these trucks. Gosh I hope not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It won’t be 5-10 grand. I had a new 5.0L switched out in my 2018 by one guy in one day. A long block replacement. Everything is plug and play now a days.

·
Registered
226 Posts
dam that means, it could be 5-10 grand to do a timing belt job on these trucks. Gosh I hope not.
There should be no need to pull the cab to do the rear belt. There's a special tool that goes in by feel to hold everything in place and ensure the timing is correct. You just gotta giver the ol' reach around.

·
Administrator
822 Posts
There should be no need to pull the cab to do the rear belt. There's a special tool that goes in by feel to hold everything in place and ensure the timing is correct. You just gotta giver the ol' reach around.
I think we just found our first candidate for the new NSFW feature on the new forum format! 😁

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have more videos but I’m not sure if it’s justme but this is my first one I’ve worked on. This timing belt is the bane of my existence. I’ve spent far longer than I will admit on this. I have no ****ing clue how many different ways there are to time this god forsaken thing wrong but I’ve discovered many. I won’t put the engine back in until I know for certain it’s timed correctly. I’m sure it get easier with time and experience but as a professional tech for Ford this thing has me stumped. I’m getting really close but I’m like a single tooth off and the tensioner is not fun to play with. Either im uneducated and ignorant or this thing is terrible. If anyone knows any tricks or something or something im missing let me know

·
Super Moderator
559 Posts
@Spenc098 You are the technician I want to work on my equipment- you insist on getting it perfect before you proceed. I guess you are the first one here attempting this job and of course I am no help whatsoever. The only time I have seen this done is on the excellent videos posted by piston broke. He was at the exact point you are in this video:
. He begins timing at about 7 minutes in and he does have a trick or two.

Please do post what you can. A lot of us are going to cross this bridge someday and you are leading the way. Best of luck to you to get it done ASAP and perfect. Thank you for posting.

Reactions: navyR113

·
Administrator
822 Posts
@Dunrollin - thanks for posting the link to this video!

Kudos to piston broke for video-documenting this procedure.

Based on watching this video, my take-aways are:
  • Big timing belt is on front of engine/smaller one for fuel pump is on back
  • Timing procedure appears to be straight-forward (at least the way he explained it)
    • Key is new tensioner
  • I don't see how to do this without the cab and engine removed
  • No way I would ever attempt this myself!
  • If this needs to be done at 150K miles, I'll be selling my truck at 145K miles

·
Registered
226 Posts
@Dunrollin - thanks for posting the link to this video!

Kudos to piston broke for video-documenting this procedure.

Based on watching this video, my take-aways are:
  • Big timing belt is on front of engine/smaller one for fuel pump is on back
  • Timing procedure appears to be straight-forward (at least the way he explained it)
    • Key is new tensioner
  • I don't see how to do this without the cab and engine removed
  • No way I would ever attempt this myself!
  • If this needs to be done at 150K miles, I'll be selling my truck at 145K miles
It's not that bad to do. lots of engines have timing belts which are replaced as part of routine maintenance. It's all done in cab, all you have to do is remove the fan and a few other things to access the timing cover, pop it off, set the pins, unbolt and replace the pulleys, tensioner, belt as desired, set the timing as per manual, crank it over manually to confirm, replace cover and whatever else you removed. Probably an 8 hour job, but much cheaper than a new truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts